Author Topic: Interesting concepts  (Read 2182 times)

Interesting concepts
« on: 22 November, 2018, 07:05:22 am »
Here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46294511

Not sure about singling us out as a special case, does preferential treatment just make the have nots more resentful?

Re: Interesting concepts
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2018, 08:15:43 am »
The way the insurance industry works, it won't mean a reduction for those who have done a course, but an increase for those who haven't.  Ministers and MPs will probably already be increasing their portfolios.....

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:02:41 am »
Presumably as I am a British Cycling member I am therefore already aware of cyclists and will therefore get reduced car insurance without having to pay to go on a course............
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:19:05 pm »
Car insurance companies seek maximum profit and will surely ignore any request from the government to reduce premiums for any group.

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2018, 11:45:01 pm »
I'm not sure the insurance idea is a go-er, although the general attention to cycling is good.

The indication from the industry of just how insignificant cycling is in insurance terms should be publicised. It's a good response to some of the stuff that's talked about risks from/to cyclists. So, indeed, is the fact that various organisations can give cycle insurance free with membership. Try asking the AA or RAC to do that for us as drivers!

I think we still know that the thing that makes cycling safer is more cyclists. That's my experience - on balance I feel safer now, because more drivers are getting practice at dealing with cyclists (especially in London, for example). So the risk of the attention is that it makes cycling sound much more risky than it is, again.

Other possible innovations include putting more training about cycling into the learner driver process. To me, it beggars belief that the government should support cycle training that promotes the primary position, and not realise the importance of explaining this to learner drivers. A bit of publicity about issues such as riding two abreast, not being in the gutter, and so on, would help too. Maybe TV adverts, or maybe the odd popular TV quiz could be persuaded to have a round on the actual rules about cycling?

It might be good if we could have a more specific thread title, so that more people join the discussion?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2018, 11:51:46 pm »
I'm not sure the insurance idea is a go-er, although the general attention to cycling is good.

The indication from the industry of just how insignificant cycling is in insurance terms should be publicised. It's a good response to some of the stuff that's talked about risks from/to cyclists.

I think we've potentially got two separate issues:

a) that collisions involving cyclists are so rare that they're lost in the noise of insurance premiums

b) that experienced road cyclists make safer motorists generally (because they anticipate better, make more paranoid observations, use their cars for less risky journeys, or whatever other mechanism)

While giving drivers a cyclist-spotting training course might make a difference to (a), I think the gains from (b) are both potentially greater and harder to achieve artificially.

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2018, 12:02:50 am »
b) that experienced road cyclists make safer motorists generally (because they anticipate better, make more paranoid observations, use their cars for less risky journeys, or whatever other mechanism)
It would be good if we could come up with evidence of that...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2018, 12:19:58 am »
It would be good if we could come up with evidence of that...

Starter for 10: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000145751730249X

Of course the real proof is in the insurance claims...

« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2018, 10:38:51 am »
Cyclists Are Better Drivers Than Motorists, Finds Study

Nick Day of Chris Knott Insurance said an analysis of his firm's crash data showed that cyclists make less than half the number of insurance claims as non-cyclists.
13% of the firm’s insured drivers make at least one claim per year, found Day, but this fell to 6% for cyclists who were insured on the firm’s cyclist-driver policy.