Author Topic: Millar to ride Commonwealth Games ?  (Read 2166 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Millar to ride Commonwealth Games ?
« on: 22 December, 2009, 07:17:29 am »
Reported here Scottish Cycling has been successful in getting his lifetime ban lifted.

"I'm absolutely delighted with the decision. I've never competed in a major games, and I thought the chance had gone," said Millar. "I want to go and win the time trial. I'll be riding the Vuelta purely as preparation for the Games."

Millar's Commonwealth Games Ban Lifted | Cyclingnews.com
Aero but not dynamic

Re: Millar to ride Commonwealth Games ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2009, 08:33:22 am »
are they really having road events at the commonwealth games??  Arent the road surfaces a little rough for TT bikes?

Should be fun to watch anyway. 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2009, 08:35:28 am »
It certainly should be. British road racing is in the best state it has been in recent memory, both sides of the border. The track should be an epic battleground as well.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2009, 09:37:35 am »
are they really having road events at the commonwealth games??  Arent the road surfaces a little rough for TT bikes?

Should be fun to watch anyway. 
The certainly had road races at the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002, don't know about TT but I expect so.  Which road surfaces ? Has the course been announced ?

« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2009, 10:03:53 am »
all road surfaces in Delhi are bad, some are awful.  Even when they resurface, it's bad within about 20 minutes.  The only thing I can see working is a dorney-style race at 0.5mph behind a tarmac machine.

the commonwealth games are going to be quite fun to watch from a safe distance.  Delhi was supposed to have something like 70,000 hotel rooms ready in time, they've actually got about 5,000.  Visitors will be staying in locals homes instead, which will be great fun but it'll be much harder to manage transport and health.

« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
I'd say it doesn't matter how bad the roads are. It's the same course for everyone and it's a TT. Competitors choose their bikes for the conditions. If they can't use TT bikes then so what, no World Records will fall but we'll still have a winner. BTW its durney and motorpaced TTs have been done for a long time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2009, 10:11:59 am »
Derny
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:51:45 pm »
A certain Mr Malcolm Elliott won the Commonwealth Road Race Gold in 1982 in Brisbane.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:59:32 pm »
Wonder what became of him? ;) ;D
Getting there...

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »
Off the top of my head I think the biggest name to win the Commonwealth road race was Phil Anderson.  I stand to be corrected  :)
Aero but not dynamic

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
I believe Cav has won a Commonwealth gold.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:05:52 am »

He did indeed (with a bit of illegal help from Rob Hayles I remember).  But winning the road race is far more prestigious than one of the distance races on the track.  Is it not ?  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #12 on: 24 December, 2009, 02:18:37 pm »

He did indeed (with a bit of illegal help from Rob Hayles I remember).  But winning the road race is far more prestigious than one of the distance races on the track.  Is it not ?  :)
Not so sure about that in the Commonwealth Games. The Australians usually put a very strong track team in and the competition on the track is of a high standard. However, the Australians aren't renowned for the track endurance riders though, and as you say Phl'anderson did win the RR once.

Winning is winning to professional sportspeople, they can only beat who turns up on the day. Professional roadies often don't put much emphasis on the Commonwealth Games as it interrupts their (preparation for their) main goals for the season which are usually designed to satisfy their sponsors. I think things are changing in recent editions however.

« Reply #13 on: 24 December, 2009, 06:58:02 pm »
Good luck to him, he is now clean and learnt from the past.
But somehow it just seems wrong he gets the chance over another athlete who has never doped, or never got caught anyway.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 30 December, 2009, 12:17:45 pm »
If these games are as well organised as the Wheelchair and Amputee Sports I witnessed recently in Bangalore, then it doesn't matter what the road surfaces are like as the bigger problem will be proving the competitors are meant to be there - they lost the accreditations!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2009, 03:13:13 pm »
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2009, 05:01:22 pm »