Author Topic: Spartacus takes off  (Read 7454 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Spartacus takes off
« on: 27 March, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »
Just reading the reports of todays E3 whatever race.  A 'break royale' of Cancellara, Boonen and Flecha.    Cancellara left them for dead with 1k to go.  That takes some doing !
Aero but not dynamic

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Spartacus takes off
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:14:29 pm »
I watched it on sporza.be (with Ballerup on a different session).

When Cancellara went with perfect timing, Boonen couldn't catch his wheel (and it didn't help that there was a sharp turn at a roundabout), and Flecha wouldn't chase because  Boonen is a better sprinter, so the chase just petered out.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2010, 10:35:51 pm »
Final few kilometres

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-JqHXuUbUUc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-JqHXuUbUUc&rel=1</a>

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »
Cancellara is full flight is a sight to behold  :thumbsup:

He must count as one of my favourite riders at present and over the past few years.  You never know when he's going to 'perform' outside of the TT but when he does it's a sight to behold!!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »
I think he's a one-trick pony. Solo break with 1km to go. Doesn't work every time.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2010, 10:40:05 am »
I think he's a one-trick pony. Solo break with 1km to go. Doesn't work every time.
If I had my choice of any one trick then that would do it for me  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2010, 11:15:04 am »
Final few kilometres

E3-Prijs Harelbeke 2010 - Final kilometers

Love the commentary as he starts to sprint - flemish-flemish-flemish-risky-business-flemish-flemish-oy-oy-oy-oy-oy-oy!

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2010, 11:41:48 am »

No, but he is very good at it!  and knows just when to jump to make it stick.  Getting enough air and being able to keep enough speed that even Boonen cant get back up sprinting is impressive to watch

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2010, 09:52:08 am »
There's not many that can go around corners at speed like Spartacus can either, hence it stuck on Saturday.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2010, 10:50:38 am »
Final few kilometres

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-JqHXuUbUUc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-JqHXuUbUUc&rel=1</a>

Thanks for posting that  :thumbsup:
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »
There's not many that can go around corners at speed like Spartacus can either, hence it stuck on Saturday.

how the hell does he do it?  I've just watched the vid, and that corner at the roundabout, the other two couldn't corner on his line at all, I thought they were going to clip the curb.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2010, 03:36:32 pm »
Never mind the kerb, I thought Boonen was going to hit the island before the roundabout!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2010, 08:31:47 pm »
Final few kilometres

Love the commentary as he starts to sprint - flemish-flemish-flemish-risky-business-flemish-flemish-oy-oy-oy-oy-oy-oy!

The same commentator when DM's intermediate time flashed up during today's time trial at De Panne:

"David-Millar-oy-oy!"

Only 2 oys but enough to win the TT and the overall.

« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2010, 08:58:55 pm »

Let's see, TdF stage wins/Maillot Jeune, Milan-San Remo,Paris-Roubaix, Olympic Gold. Whatever trick he has it seems to work.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 02 April, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »

Let's see, TdF stage wins/Maillot Jeune, Milan-San Remo,Paris-Roubaix, Olympic Gold. Whatever trick he has it seems to work.
The point is, the conditions need to be right. Hence Cavendish wins more Tour stages, several riders finished higher on GC ...etc

But he's great for the sport - he goes for it when others dither.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 02 April, 2010, 11:18:35 pm »

This "Maillot Jeune" - is that the young riders award  ;)
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #16 on: 04 April, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »
And again!   Classy win

« Reply #17 on: 04 April, 2010, 03:48:06 pm »
Did you see him gobble a gel about 5 minutes before that very steep cobbled climb where he attacked?  He knew exactly where to go, as Boonen was out of the saddle whereas he looked so smooth.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #18 on: 04 April, 2010, 04:00:49 pm »
It looked to me as if Boonen was stuck in too high a gear when Cancellara went away.

« Reply #19 on: 04 April, 2010, 04:02:56 pm »
It looked to me as if Boonen was stuck in too high a gear when Cancellara went away.

Or Boonen was on traditional gearing and Cancellara was using a compact?

« Reply #20 on: 04 April, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »
Wouldn't have been a compact.  At a guess I'd say they'd have had a 11-25 cassette.

It was a predictable attack.  Cancellara had no choice about it, as Boonen would have easily outsprinted him if it had come to that.  Don't forget Boonen is the heavier rider and so was disadvantaged on the Muur.  Boonen knew it was coming.  Did you notice Cancellara backing off a little just before he attacked?

« Reply #21 on: 04 April, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »
Wouldn't have been a compact.  At a guess I'd say they'd have had a 11-25 cassette.

It was a predictable attack.  Cancellara had no choice about it, as Boonen would have easily outsprinted him if it had come to that.  Don't forget Boonen is the heavier rider and so was disadvantaged on the Muur.  Boonen knew it was coming.  Did you notice Cancellara backing off a little just before he attacked?

Fabian Cancellara's Specialized gets a last minute tune-up Photos  | Cyclingnews.com

looks like he did have a bit of a dinner plate on the back ;D

Might have been predictable, but it was certainly impressive and not alot anyone could do about it

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #22 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:08:47 pm »
I'd die of happiness if I looked as good as he does on a bike for 100 metres, never mind 262 kilometres.

« Reply #23 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:26:59 pm »
I'd die of happiness if I looked as good as he does on a bike for 100 metres, never mind 262 kilometres.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #24 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:32:31 pm »
Might have been predictable, but it was certainly impressive and not alot anyone could do about it

Agreed!  I'm not criticising him for it.  It was stunning.... but we all knew it was in the post  ;)