Author Topic: Fujin SLII questions  (Read 4756 times)

Fujin SLII questions
« on: 21 November, 2008, 01:32:45 pm »
I've got some questions about the new bike now...

Headrest?  I don't think I can ride this for very long without one, even with the seat fully upright, which matches my Hurricane seating almost exactly.

Water in the carbon seat - can I drill a small drainage hole or two?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Fujin SLII questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:41:51 pm »
I've got a question.

When are the photos going to be posted? ;D
Getting there...

Tiger

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:54:18 pm »
I have the following recommendations for the SL2:
The bike demands to be ridden with teh seat fully down (you may need to cut the seat support to get to the lowest strut hole). You will also find that at lowest setting the idler rubs the seat bottom - I angle-ground a channel to let the idler through the seat. Low is the way to go.
Headrest - the carbon HP Velotechnik rest is suitable - but you will need to mount a forward-projecting rest on it (That is what pool noodles were created for, and can be clad with lycra for blackness). The headrest will fit neatly into the neck/skull area and give just the right support.
Water - if you mount a bottle holder you may find it falls out a lot due to the extreme bumpiness of this ride. two good solutions - a fanny pack (lifeventure is ideal) with a bidon belt mounted works a treat for shorter rides where 1 bottle is all you need. Also provides enough storage for toolkit, condoms, and other essentials.
Alternative is a bladder in a Radical lowrider aero bag which fits the fujin really neatly and has enough space for some more luggage.
Ah - now I see your question was about drainage - I have drilled a hole in my seat - in fact several.
I found I needed to replace the cassette because the smallest sprocket was a 12 which spins out - need an 11 on that bitch for speed.
I found the seatpad also had to be upgraded and now use the original plus a ventisit - this reduces the sweaty thing and also affords a bit more 'suspension' comfort.
The bike came with stelvios which I found a bit unforgiving and switched to miore rear (perfect tyre for this bike on the roads I reckon) and a marathon slick front.  
I broke both the wheels fairly quickly on bumpy roads - but I am heavier than you.
The seat mounts need attention - tend to work loose and make a lot of noise.
Zipties seem to be an essntial element of the bike.

richie_b

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2008, 10:43:14 pm »
Bentmikey
I have no bother without a headrest: I think it's about getting used to being without; I'd be more concerned about it affecting head movement that the muscle ache.  & why mount extra weight on such a light & lovely bike?
I've put an HED aero front wheel on, but after delays, it didn't get fitted until after the summer, so I'll review when it's back on road.
Stelvios are fine, but a bit prone to stuff on the road (front deflation at 25 mph isn't fun).  I plan to use my SLII as a fun, summer bike, so I have no issue.
Radical Aero bags are great!
Recumbent top bags (Solo Aero)
I hope you have the Powerbrake, 'cos it really is that good.
Oh, & enjoy, it's a seriously fun bike, I love mine...

Oh, Clarion, pictures of mine here to keep you going: Yay!  I got a new toy too!

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2008, 02:14:08 pm »
Thanks for your help, chaps!  I've gone with an HP headrest, and reclined the seat fully (of course I would).  The seat at max upright was the same as my Hurricane, it's considerably lower now.  Actually I could go slightly lower still, since the upper seat bracket looks like it'll go nicely over the lower mounting without the joining bar, but I've got it on the lowest setting with the holey bar in place.

Here's pictures:
My new Challenge Fujin SLII

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:07:44 am »
Have a great time on it!

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:09:57 pm »
I have my seat on a fairly upright hole so I can see out of the fairing.

« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2008, 04:13:25 pm »
My VK tailbox was shipped on Wednesday, it should be here today or tomorrow I hope.  Can't wait, I'm full of anticipation!

« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2008, 11:28:08 am »
My VK tailbox was shipped on Wednesday, it should be here today or tomorrow I hope.  Can't wait, I'm full of anticipation!

It would be a shame not to race such a beauty... the World Championship is in Tilburg next year, so not hard to get to  :)
Profit or planet?

« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2008, 11:30:07 am »
I am just a relatively slow commuter you know.  I haven't even done any serious speedskating for a while now, but the problem is mostly with my job - when you lot have time to be out playing, I am at work.

« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2008, 02:00:17 pm »
It's the taking part though, innit?

Anyway... if you do manage to make it to any races, domestic or abroad, you know you will get a warm welcome  :thumbsup:
Profit or planet?

« Reply #11 on: 23 December, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »
Yeah, you guys are great!  I had a super time at the last one a year ago.

Yay!!!!!!!!!  My tailbox has arrived and is fitted now, just in time for my ride to Stowmarket tomorrow.  Thanks to Chris N for his DD gpx, I'm mostly using it.

« Reply #12 on: 23 December, 2008, 04:14:26 pm »
Photosphotosphotosphotosphotosphotosphotosphotosphotos!!!!

;D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #13 on: 25 December, 2008, 10:31:55 am »

Out on the ride yesterday.  I really like the VK tailbox, it's a thing of beauty and very light at just under 1kg.  It also fits to the Fujin (or should I say Velokraft) carbon seat perfectly, and the styling matches teh bike.  Aerodynamically it seems to be much the same as the rather bigger novosport tailbox.

richie_b

« Reply #14 on: 25 December, 2008, 11:59:36 am »
Can I be the first to say how good that looks?

& a few questions about your set up...
How is your rear light mounted (& what light is it)?
Is your front light mounted beneath the boom?  How have you attached it?
Is that a GPS on your bars?  What's the viewing angle like?

Just to help me with ways to mount stuff...

Bet you're pleased with that tailbox, it does look rather lovely.  Looking at prices at Pulsar Cycles, I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon though....

« Reply #15 on: 25 December, 2008, 02:56:04 pm »
Thank you!  I've yet to see anything of Kamil's that wasn't uber sexy.

The rear light is a BLT Fantom XR9, it's just screwed into the disc brake mounting on the left rear chainstay.  I'm not sure that will be the permanent mounting yet, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.  There's a tiny bit of red visible on the back of the tailbox, being some 3M diamond grade retro reflective tape.

The front light is mounted below the bottom bracket.  I joined two TwoFish LockBlocks with a zip tie, and then zip-tied each end around the bottom bracket.  This holds my VIO POV.1 camera, and a Fenix P3D front light.

Yup, that's a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx (how I wish I had the HCx!).  It's mounted with the std garmin handlebar mount to the right handlebar.  It's slightly unusal given the way the handlebars bend away from you on the Fujin, but it's very easy to see and works well.

Have you got some photos of your Fujin, and how  you've mounted stuff?  I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.

« Reply #16 on: 29 December, 2008, 01:50:25 pm »
Woah, really like that Tailbox, where did you get it from and how much??
My current tailbox I feel is a tad big (you can feel it being pushed by side winds) and does not look half a nice (although it was not really designed to be used by itself but rather with the front fairing).
What kind of speed increase does the VK TB give?  I found my (massive) tail box boosted my speed by 1-2Mph.  I have a feeling my box maybe too big for optimal speed increase by itself, especially the bit behind my head which is quite a bit wider than my head, needed so I could turn my head when using the front fairing.

I don't have much mounted on mine as currently it is a good weather only bike.  I dislike cleaning chains etc thus in nasty weather I use a bike with all the oily bits enclosed thus never need cleaning .

Pic here http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3255/pict2136lv2.jpg

richie_b

« Reply #17 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:07:02 am »
Thank you!  I've yet to see anything of Kamil's that wasn't uber sexy.

The rear light is a BLT Fantom XR9, it's just screwed into the disc brake mounting on the left rear chainstay.  I'm not sure that will be the permanent mounting yet, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.  There's a tiny bit of red visible on the back of the tailbox, being some 3M diamond grade retro reflective tape.

The front light is mounted below the bottom bracket.  I joined two TwoFish LockBlocks with a zip tie, and then zip-tied each end around the bottom bracket.  This holds my VIO POV.1 camera, and a Fenix P3D front light.

Yup, that's a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx (how I wish I had the HCx!).  It's mounted with the std garmin handlebar mount to the right handlebar.  It's slightly unusal given the way the handlebars bend away from you on the Fujin, but it's very easy to see and works well.

Have you got some photos of your Fujin, and how  you've mounted stuff?  I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.
I've not really mounted much stuff on it since I'm using it as a summer bike...
When it's been out at night, it's had a couple of Cateye HL-EL410s on the tiller & a couple of smart 1/2 watt rears mounted on the tailbags.  I was going to get a Terracycles mount for the GPS, but seeing yours, I may just go for a straight mount.
Thanks for the tips & sorry if this isn't terribly helpful in return...

Tiger

« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:29:54 pm »
Most lovely tailbox Mikey! Can you tell us where and how much as it looks a very good fit indeed. Do you have the seat fully down with the box on?

« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
It's a near perfect fit, I suppose it should be as both the seat and the box are made by Velokraft I believe. Yes, the seat is fully reclined using the drilled box section. It looks like it'd be possible to recline the seat still further by removing that box section and bolting the seat mount directly to the frame. I haven't done this yet.

I'm really happy with this box, it's awesome.  All I need to complete the bike is either a rear disc wheel, or a set of covers.