Author Topic: Re: Dorset Coast permanent ride( the night ride aka as the dorset ghost)  (Read 4124 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Dorset Coast permanent ride( the night ride aka as the dorset ghost)
« Reply #25 on: 24 June, 2015, 08:06:01 am »
I will bring the vino :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2015, 02:32:37 pm »
So.... what would people like to eat at the top of Abbotsbury Hill this year?

Cake, a cup of tea, a bottle refill and somewhere to sit out of the weather for a few minutes would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Keith

• Dorset Coast
  • Cyclists do it Silently
    • Wessex CTC
« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »
Bonjour Mon Braves.

I'm pleased to see you plan a re-run of the "Dorset Ghost". So, Janet & I are planning to come down to Poole Quay as we did last year to wave you off. I will bring brevet cards with me, so if you do not already have one (I know some of you already do) then there is no need to enter ahead of time. Just turn up with a standard AUK entry form and I'll process your entry at the start.

Keep me abreast of arrangements through this thread please, but otherwise see you there on August 1st.

Keith Matthews
Let us do this thing that is set out before us!

Hummers

« Reply #28 on: 12 July, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »
Bonjour Mon Braves.

I'm pleased to see you plan a re-run of the "Dorset Ghost". So, Janet & I are planning to come down to Poole Quay as we did last year to wave you off. I will bring brevet cards with me, so if you do not already have one (I know some of you already do) then there is no need to enter ahead of time. Just turn up with a standard AUK entry form and I'll process your entry at the start.

Keep me abreast of arrangements through this thread please, but otherwise see you there on August 1st.

Keith Matthews

Cheers Keith  :thumbsup:

H

Hummers

« Reply #29 on: 28 July, 2015, 09:42:25 pm »
The Dorset Ghost - this Saturday. Departing from the Wetherspoons in Poole Harbour at 8pm and arriving back in the same pub for breakfast Sunday morning at 8am. A 200km ride well worth doing, entries on the line/ Wetherspoons.

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #30 on: 28 July, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
To think that some people are doing RideLondon instead of this...

Hummers

« Reply #31 on: 29 July, 2015, 08:10:46 am »
We did this last year and it was really enjoyable.

H

Saftlad

• I don't do hills...
« Reply #32 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:01:50 pm »
To think that some people are doing RideLondon instead of this...

My body starts to shut down at 10pm  :'(

Exmouth Exodus is on the same date too

Hummers

« Reply #33 on: 30 July, 2015, 12:25:45 pm »
A bottle of wine will accompany us to Axminster  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #34 on: 30 July, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »
Has anyone done the maths to see how many are attempting this ghostly ride.
If so I'll inform the apparition that mysteriously appears at the top of Abbotsbury Hill to provide us mortals with sustainance.
 :D

Hummers

« Reply #35 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:52:41 pm »
Three of us are coming down from Pompey. I don't know if Paul D is still interested?

H

« Reply #36 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:36:45 pm »
A couple of questions please: Is there long term parking near/at the start, also is there a gpx file somewhere? I am a definite maybe.

« Reply #37 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:53:57 pm »
Some of us rode down on sat afternoon, train may be a better option.
GPS file not needed as we all stayed as a group last time and rode at the slowest riders pace

Hummers

« Reply #38 on: 01 August, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »
Last time the whole ride took 12 hours so it is not a fast rde.

Sadly, the world has been falling out of my bottom since 6:30 this morning so I will have to pass on this one now   :(

H

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #39 on: 02 August, 2015, 10:08:30 am »
Wasn't that lovely?
Pasta in Poole, cake and mango smoothies in Weymouth, salty jacket spuds and fruit cake with custard and bananas on top of Abbotsbury Hill. The gastro stops made the night fly by.
Perfect weather, magical views and the empty roads were something special. I don't remember any cars passing us in the Bridport - Axminster and back 50k section through the small hours.
Huge thanks to Keith, PeteL, Miranda and Justin for making it all possible. Already looking forward to this next year.

« Reply #40 on: 02 August, 2015, 12:42:46 pm »
Was looking forward to this until I got sent away to work in Scotland earlier this week. Bah! Sorry I failed to get a message to anyone I'd be a DNS. Weather looked good too.  :(

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #41 on: 02 August, 2015, 01:44:20 pm »
Hope you had a good ride folks

« Reply #42 on: 02 August, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »
Was hoping to ride this, but the allure of 'The Stags Head' in Harringay kept me occupied for the evening! ;-D

« Reply #43 on: 02 August, 2015, 04:34:46 pm »
Would have loved to have joined you guys, but finishing the Hellfire on Friday evening required the weekend to be spent on the sofa/bed/hammock, with the rehydration process taking its usual professional form....planning to do the DC perm next Saturday instead now. It will probably tip down....

« Reply #44 on: 03 August, 2015, 04:40:50 pm »
I carried two wine glasses all the way to Axminster, but I had to drink water, as no one could perform miracles.

All day Sunday - yawn yawn yawn yawn......

......perfect night ride.

« Reply #45 on: 09 August, 2015, 09:45:00 pm »
Would have loved to have joined you guys, but finishing the Hellfire on Friday evening required the weekend to be spent on the sofa/bed/hammock, with the rehydration process taking its usual professional form....planning to do the DC perm next Saturday instead now. It will probably tip down....

But, it didn't. Chris Beynon and I made it round in under 10 hours, due to the stunning weather - unbroken sunshine, light winds, mid 20's all day - and a couple of excellent cafe's (Bellanie's Bakehouse in Abbotsbury (contender for the award for the biggest cakes) & the Sublyme Cafe in Axminster (contender for the award for the best flapjacks)). The Top of the Town in Dorchester was closed due to our late start (missed the ferry) so the Shell SS sufficed, but with the light tailwind it was fast back from there to Sandbanks, whence to a pizzeria to celebrate my first Wessex SR.

We included an off road section for added fun - take the road left at Owermoigne to Holworth Farm, which becomes a bridleway which gradually deteriorates until you get to the National Trust land above Chesil Beach, where you turn right onto some strada bianche to their car park and then back to tarmac. All good fun, especially the farm dogs trying to unseat Chris. Seeing the barely clad crowds in Weymouth was an eye-opener though. We also took Cycle route 26 after Maiden Newton from Frampton into the back of Dorchester. Again, a little bit off rough stuff but no punctures there or anywhere all day despite being on racing bikes & not audax bikes. Just watch out for the roaming herd of cows there, and the cats - neither seem inclined to move when we approached.   

One of the best days out on a bike ever I think.

« Reply #46 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:49:25 am »
Has anyone ridden this since 2015?
I think it needs a revival.
After a 100% success rate of those starting the Hardboiled, a lot of those that entered the Dorset Coast the following day DNSd the Dorset Coast.
I had the idea of doing Dorset Coast as a night ride after I rode the calendar event and it was spoiled a bit by car traffic on all the narrow lanes.
The new route for the calendar event is an improvement IMO.
But the night time permanent was much better.
So a good way for those who rode Hardboiled to claim a Wessex SR?

« Reply #47 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:37:35 pm »
Postie wishes to express his interest, will bring it up at our weekly club night, bound to be other audax club Portsmouth rides who will be up for this

« Reply #48 on: 17 April, 2024, 12:50:53 pm »
I will do my best to come along and tell local ghost stories - probably able to provide some sort of sustenance options on the way around.