Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299272 times)

The VM is squirreled away for next time it's needed!

I'd be tempted to keep it disconnect the machine it is running on whenever you spin up that VM. Even a fully patched XP machine is trivial to infect remotely and do you trust *everyone* in your company to be squeaky clean?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Its behind at least 2 NATs with no inbound port forwarding, and the host firewall!
The NAT between the VM and the Win10 host, the Win10 host firewall,and NAT between the host and the outside world.

It would need to be a very specific attack to reach the VM,
It would need to break through the corporate firewalls and NAT;
Even from a compromised internal PC, it would then need to compromise the host system's Win10 firewall;
and then compromise the VirtualBox virtual NAT.

Not saying it can't be done, but I'm not sweating it for a VM that's spun up for a couple of hours every 10 years!
It's buried beneath so many layers of much more recent protection.

(Im not sure if I could disable the LAN connection on the VM or if that would also kill access to the VM, but I think I could. Its not an RDP session.)

Chris S

I need to run some legacy VMs. Windows XP and Windows NT. I simply keep them off-grid. They're on a private network and never see the interwebs. It's not like they need updates or anything...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Stands to reason that anything requiring such ancient OSes is unlikely to need an internet connection too.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I had reason to deploy the xkcd Bobby Tables cartoon at work today  :facepalm:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
I reverted my iMac 27” to its state when I bought it 10 years ago, including its original operating system (hurrah for software on CD!). This was so I could still run my expensive Adobe Design Collection, as updates over the years had meant that it didn’t work reliably anymore (well, it was 10 year old software) and the whole thing had slowed down too much too.

It works brilliantly, but I don’t allow it anywhere near the Internet. I transfer my work to/from it using a USB stick and my MacBook.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

I reverted my iMac 27” to its state when I bought it 10 years ago, including its original operating system (hurrah for software on CD!). This was so I could still run my expensive Adobe Design Collection, as updates over the years had meant that it didn’t work reliably anymore (well, it was 10 year old software) and the whole thing had slowed down too much too.

It works brilliantly, but I don’t allow it anywhere near the Internet. I transfer my work to/from it using a USB stick and my MacBook.

That's how I ended up running two iMacs. If I'd upgraded the older to anything beyond 10.6.3, I would've lost the use of all the Power PC native software I have. It was cheaper to buy another iMac, than it was to replace the software.

The VM is squirreled away for next time it's needed!

I'd be tempted to keep it disconnect the machine it is running on whenever you spin up that VM. Even a fully patched XP machine is trivial to infect remotely and do you trust *everyone* in your company to be squeaky clean?

Or just disconnect it's vNIC in VirtualBox, or snapshot it before connecting it to the network and spin up a copy if the snapshot every time you need it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Feanor

My Asterisk VoIP server has finally died, thanks to an unplanned power outage.

<Jurassic Park ish>
The phones aren't working.
</Jurassic Park ish>

Re-image fails, HDD is toast.
HDD is PATA, Mobo has no SATA.
Mobo also can't do 64 bit.
Time for new host PC.

Bought refurb Dell optiplex 755 for £50.
The Digium TDM400 PSTN card is full-height and can't go in the new box!
So I've just bought a new Digium A4A card too.

Just used Rufus to make a bootable USB stick from the FreePBX ISO, so we'll see how that goes!

Sounds like simplest solution would be replace with another IDE drive, if you’re worried about using another drive of unknown longevity then an IDE to SATA bride should allow you to use and modern SATA drive, has worked for me to keep some VERY old kit running

Feanor

Yebbut, the cpu is 32-bit, and can't run current Asterisk distros that I want to run.
I don't really have a need to retain the old hardware ( other that the full-height card! )

Sometimes, I just have to move on!

The new PC is here, and the Asterisk install is done.
Just awaiting the replacement Digium A4A half-height card to connect it to the POTS.

Anyone want a full-height Digium TDM400 card? For free?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
it might just be me but I've noticed that using Firefox with youtube anonymously *seems* to result in no adverts

Which is brilliant because the ripper extension for youtube works on Firefox

Downloading a Popol Vuh LP right now  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
D bought a NEW! SHINY! iPad Pro in John Lewis Clearance yesterday.

All his Apple products are linked to my Apple ID so he can purchase on my CC, as are mine.

It has taken 19 hours for our devices to synch via the cloud.

Our contacts are in duplicate. I suppose I should be grateful; they were in quadruplicate last year, but that resolved.

It's not been as traumatic as the purchase of two identical MacBook Air laptops this time last year but things did not automatically Just Work...

That's the second lunchtime walk in a row where I've taken about 40 minutes but Strava claims ~1:15.

The first time the file didn't upload correctly initially from my phone (Samsung S7) so I thought maybe it had an incorrect end time.

But it did it again today and the file uploaded right away. Looking at the gpx files for both days it looks like the start point is correct but the data points gradually stamp later and later than reality. I uploaded the file today at 13:52 (having started at about quarter past) and the gpx claims I finished at 14:30! Which is absurd, I've been day here drinking tea since 14:00.

Has anyone had anything similar? I'm currently not sure if it's the phone or app. Planning tomorrow to install another logging app to try and narrow down the problem.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Is the phone having some sort of NTP fight between wifi and cellular networks?

I've no idea! Though I think I had WiFi turned off for the duration of the walk. I have got phone location set to high accuracy so maybe GPS and cellular are fighting.

I guess I could try next time on low accuracy so it only uses GPS for location.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Android conspicuously lacks the ability to set the system clock from GPS.  Because that would be useful.

But yeah, clock drift would be my first suspicion.  Keep an eye on what time it thinks it is.

The phone time was correct when I uploaded the file and whenever I happened to glance at it during the walk. Which wasn't very often.

Android conspicuously lacks the ability to set the system clock from GPS.  Because that would be useful.

They get them from the phone network though. I have never set the time on my S10+ phone and its correct. It also switches timezone when I go abroad without me touching it.

What app is doing the recording? Strava's own app? Is it up to date?

Strava yes. And I believe so but I'll double check.

I'm also being frustrated by my S7 and it's refusal to connect to my computer, either with wire or blutooth. Emailing photos to myself is getting old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I present this absolutely splendid bug: "Open Office won't print on Tuesdays"