Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2017  (Read 32999 times)

Re: Easter Arrow 2017
« Reply #175 on: 16 April, 2017, 08:47:09 am »
My first arrow, and glad I took the plunge. Halloween had two vacancies on his team, which meant a Suffolk start. I diy'd more or less a tailwind assisted 140 mile ride on Thursday, and was well looked after by our team leader. 10 mile ride on Friday morning to meet the rest of the team, two faces I'd seen before on audaxes somewhere.

So, the four of us set off at 8am and, apart from the first control (coffee and cake at a cafe), the controls were either mcd or shop/atm receipt stops. Halloween had a thorough schedule, allowing either 10 or 30 minute stops. Boston was a 10 minute stop, which horrified me as there is the 'spoons there I visit when on the Flatlands. I was amazed at how quickly I got fed up of mcd veggie burgers (I think I had three burger stops, one pancake,  and one doughnut stop). We got behind schedule, not helped by me leading the group onto a new road not on our mapping, riding down the A180 towards the humber bridge, then heaving our bikes over crash barriers and an embankment to get onto a B road to get back on track. A slow cross country (literally) section near the M62 didn't help either. We were on Halloween's plan B (or was it C?) now, a shorter mileage route.  There had been mutterings in the ranks of abandoning, but they were quashed, and we arrived at the Postern Gate together, after a scenic, if not bumpy over tree routes (ex-railway?) cycle path in to York.

I was shocked the brekky and coffee in a Yorkshire 'spoons is dearer than in MK, and (apart from craft beers which I don't drink),  poor beer selection, but the Ruddles (thanks Johnathan) still went down a treat.

Thanks to my team mates for letting me in, and putting up with me, and to my host, for putting me up!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #176 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:44:03 am »
And we spotted TG, going strong, heading in the opposite direction just before we crossed from Norfolk into Lincolnshire.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #177 on: 16 April, 2017, 10:47:51 am »
I am now at York Station feeling totally badgered

Postern Gate was a good place to finish

You looked better than I felt !
Lots of help & encouragement from Smeth & team got me through (just). Thanks chaps!

With that many teams the Postern Gate was ideal.  Punch Bowl would have been far too small even if the staff were up for it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #178 on: 16 April, 2017, 10:51:03 am »
As for the Postern Gate, it was well err functional. It was very large and did not run out of food. But people were very spread out. In the better years at the Punch Bowl it was compressed and you rubbed shoulders with many others. Also the beer selection was not as good and only offered four proper beers.
But perhaps more space for a sneaky nap? :)

("only" four proper beers?? OK, so Royal Hop Pole has about a dozen, but there are plenty of town-centre pubs with just 1. and that can depend on your definition of "proper" :(  )

Well done everyone, and I'm glad the weather was toward the kind end of the British spectrum  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #179 on: 16 April, 2017, 11:22:41 am »
("only" four proper beers?? OK, so Royal Hop Pole has about a dozen, but there are plenty of town-centre pubs with just 1. and that can depend on your definition of "proper" :(  )

I think this definition does it.  http://www.camra.org.uk/faq It excludes most craft beers as these are really posh Watney's Red Barrel that for some reason people are willing to spend twice as much per pint as just as good a quality Real Ale. But it takes all types.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #180 on: 16 April, 2017, 02:05:34 pm »
You looked better than I felt !
Lots of help & encouragement from Smeth & team got me through (just). Thanks chaps!
No problemo! Your route help avoided me taking us off piste. Talk me out of Northampton next time though.
Great event thanks Lucy. In Postern Gate I just roamed from chat to chat. A rare chance to remember Highlands Coast and Glens with members of Equipe Stravaigin. Not to mentioned chats with ACB as they rode through us near Gainsborough- e.g. What happened to you on last week's Hardboiled? Then we all came across the Basingstoke boys in Gainsborough Jet. They put the beer stack in the shop to be used as a picnic table and last year, a bunk. Shortly after, a brief encounter with Lakes team and off our different ways to roll into 'spoons at the same moment from opposite directions. Memories and reunions.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #181 on: 16 April, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
Équipe Maillot de Rechange checking in...

400k of mostly OK weather. Niggly headwind on the initial west-bound leg, and then a bit wet and cold from Ecclefechan to Langdon Beck. Steak Pie and cheery wood fires at Langdon Beck Hotel had us dried out and ready for the night section via the secret control ( Phil Foxton's HoFC at Northallerton ). We met the other Scottish team heading in the opposite direction near Northallerton at silly-o'clock in the morning just after leaving Phil's, they were just on their way there.

And so on to York for breakfast at the Postern Gate.
The Postern Gate seemed good to us, the back section seemed pretty packed with teams by the time we left ( about 9:15 ) to catch the train.
The staff seemed cheery, and the place didn't feel overwhelmed.

1st class train back to Edinburgh at 10 o'clock on Saturday, and then a rather slow 17k from Edinburgh Waverly station up to Dalmeny to collect the cars.

Thanks to Phil, Sue and staff at Langdon Beck, and Lucy for organising, and to the other team members for a great ride.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1680769618

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #182 on: 16 April, 2017, 06:56:04 pm »
Was tempted into doing an Arrow by the late timing of Easter (after the previous attempt yonks ago had been snowed off in Lincoln).  Then had to be talked back into it by Bianchi Boy after coming off on ice over Christmas.  However, the team assembled behaved very well on the Kennett Valley Run.  Simon A came up with the idea of "Stokers in the name" but as we had no tandems, then Stokes without Tandems we had to be. 

The team offered quality banter throughout the ride, perhaps helped by a tasty tailwind that propelled us along the 213km to March before 6pm, even allowing for lasagne and chips in Aylesbury (not a control but better food than the BP station in Stadhampton) and another big feed in the surprisingly good Surfin' Cafe in Biggleswade.

There was a grim stretch along the A47 straight into the wind with lots of traffic after March and then it started raining.  The two pubs we tried in Market Deeping weren't doing food but the chippy had a sit down area so we could get kitted up for the night.  The rain stopped and we reached the A1 services north of Grantham well ahead of schedule so we could have a short sleep.  D O G and HughKnud kept powering us along on the way to Gainsborough where a couple of team came and went whilst we took the time to enjoy a coffee using the beer stack as a table.

Better fuelled and rested we passed a couple of groups on the road to Goole, taking turns on the front, with the welcoming first light of the new day in the northeastern sky.  The road from Eastoft to Goole was as long as ever, especially as we turned into the wind.  We were ahead of time again in Goole so had to get a second coffee to get a 22nd hour receipt.  Then it was a final bash into York to finish a very enjoyable ride, with great company, before meeting up with old friends in the pub.  Bianchi Boy's suggestion of a pint of mild has given me a new favourite recovery drink.  It certainly helped me ride back to Howden for my super-cheap Hull Trains ticket back to London, before getting another train to Chichester to get back to the family in the caravan in Selsey.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #183 on: 17 April, 2017, 10:28:49 am »
The Cambridge Express team was successful in its endeavour — a team of three Arrow-rookies, Alex B and Pichy from around these parts, and Nigel, and a first-time captain (me).  Two on fixed, two on Trik Domaines I think.

A loop around Cambridge for a Full English at Red Lodge Café, and then a proper sit-down lunch at The Tally Ho in Barkway, bang on the LEL route.  The only niggly bit was that insufferable westerly to get between the two. 

We then followed the LEL route in general to Louth, implementing a few shortcuts once the sun went down and the roads emptied.   The wind remained annoying cross/cross-tail, but we did get a decent amount of sunshine in the afternoon.  The team kept a good pace, at times on the exposed sections riding echelon to play to everyone's strengths.

A proper break for tea and cake at Bridge Café in St Ives.

We bumped into Kingston Wheelers before Spalding, standing around berating a puncturee on his repair technique, in the accepted manner — we stopped to assist in the banter for a few minutes  :P ;D  The rain started shortly after.  Spalding the 'Spoons was rammed, so we popped along the street to the Tulip Garden for a sit-down Indian, which was very nice.  A couple of teams passed us while we were there, I'm pretty sure I saw a not-so-laidback LaidBackRich go by?

Kirton (nr Boston) always seems to figure on a ride through Spalding, but a quick receipt and we headed onto the direct route to Horncastle — long, straight droves, with traffic lights visible straight ahead for bloody miles!  :facepalm:

We climbed the main road over the Lincolnshire Wolds to Louth, since we were approaching midnight, and bumped into the Lincoln team resting up in the services — they'd had to loop a long way around in the Fens to build up miles — the thought of all those flat-flat-flat miles just to get some distance away is still giving me nightmares!

The longest run to Beverley, we skirted the Wolds on the main road, which was all-but deserted.  Obligatory bridge photos.  Bumped into Swaffham? or Sudbury? team on the way into Bev. 

The team started to flag a lot at this point and I had to bring out the tough-love stick and chivvy everyone along — combination of fatigue and sleepiness, which I know only too well (last year I was asleep in the 22nd-hour stop).  No more stops to York, now, since all the time we'd made up on the road had been spent in the longer-than-expected stops — not even a few minutes for coffee, since once down then I could see at least one of our team not getting up again!

The climb out of Bev really revealed the fatigue in the legs.  Market Weighton (22nd-hour control) came bang on time leaving just 31km to the Postern Gate and 2.5 hours to ride it.  We got to the pub at 7am sharp (in 1.5 hours, although it felt like 3.5 hours) and were the first team to arrive, exactly on schedule (as much by luck as by judgement), with an hour in hand for mechanicals.

And then it was great to see the place fill up — the Postern Gate is huge compared to the Punchbowl, and the terrace, which we used for bike-parking, is capacious, with no danger of blocking fire exits — that's the reason we're not welcome at the Punchbowl.  The Postern staff were on it and everyone seemed to get served in good time, the only complaint being they don't serve alcohol before 9  :facepalm:

Piles of bodies everywhere, teams looking more shocked than elated, haggard and dour.  But soon enough the conversations were rolling.  The Thursday Essex teams popped down from their overnight hideaways looking far too chipper  ;)  Chatted with teams from ACH, Bristol, Kingston, Ipswich, Essex, and probably others,  and bumped into lots of friends and met a few new faces.  Teams sprinted in as if on a mission — looked to be borderline in-time, but that could just have been the thousand-yard stare at the sight of a 'Spoons breakfast menu ;D 

Well done to my team members — Alex B, Pichy and Nigel — well done guys, good team work out there, respect!  :thumbsup: :)  There were ups and downs and I think we all learned a lot about where our fitness is at the moment, and all four of us will be using that in our respective build-ups for LEL.

Edit: 412km ridden.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #184 on: 17 April, 2017, 11:06:12 pm »
Geordie Arrow team reporting in (2 actual Geordies, one adopted, and two honorary for the purposes of the ride).

Despite the name, we started in Darlington. We had a very good ride - we stuck together when one or other of us was having a dip, and the very flat route made this doable. It felt a bit rushed from Selby to York, but I fed some Highland Park around the team, and it seemed to do the trick for the stretch up the A19.

Now to the important stuff - three Costas, two McD's, two Co Ops and one 'Spoons. No Greggs, we must be slipping. The Jet garage at Gainsborough was a classic, 1 am and the only inhabitant when we arrived there was a local dosser who the staff were letting inside to keep himself warm. Then the taxis turned up, and two different sets of night people eyed one another up and thought "what the fuck are you doing here at this time of night".

I think it was 421 km on the road, just over 400 km by the shortest route.

And the photos:

The last one is Jonah, as we rolled past the AC Hackney train near Fulford.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #185 on: 18 April, 2017, 01:00:02 pm »
2017 was a first for Lincolnshire. Not only have we now got our own club, ACL, but managed six riders to form two Arrows teams. The problem for us was we are too near York so both teams had to perform some sort of holding pattern to get the distance in before heading to York.

I led team 1 and Bill Richardson, an honoury Lincolnshire Yellowbelly led team 2. We both started from Newark in Notts, an hour apart, before heading over the border to Bottesford in Leicestershire, then back north on towards Witham St Hughes, Lincoln, Woodhall Spa, before turning south into fenland and on to Stamford briefly touching into Rutland. Nice tail wind to Crowland, then a five hour trek to Louth, Ulceby Truck stop before the bridge and final 22hr control of Howden.

Will let Bill mention the adventures of team 2 but team 1 suffered just one puncture and me hittng a tram line pothole near Horncastle and coming off.

Our controls were local Coops, a Sainsburys cafe and the Louth one should get wider known for LEL, as it has a Spar, Gregs and Subway plus Costa coffee machine. By the time we arrived the Greggs and Subway was closed at 9pm but the Spar plus machine was fine. Good toilets there, picnic tables and some where secure for your bike so look out for the Shell station on the north side of town. The Truckers stop like wise is 24hrs outside Immingham, worth knowing for future events. Howdens Shell garage is also 24hrs with a Spar.

Bumped into the Cambridge Express team at Louth who like us were wet and cold having heading north along a similar route to ourselves.

Team 1 achieved what we set out to do so well done Paul and Chris for putting up with my captaincy. After my slowing up on the leg to Howden over the bridge a milk shake helped us get to York in time, just.

Sure we will be back for an Easter Arrow in 2018

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #186 on: 18 April, 2017, 01:07:06 pm »
Équipe Maillot de Rechange checking in...

400k of mostly OK weather. Niggly headwind on the initial west-bound leg, and then a bit wet and cold from Ecclefechan to Langdon Beck. Steak Pie and cheery wood fires at Langdon Beck Hotel had us dried out and ready for the night section via the secret control ( Phil Foxton's HoFC at Northallerton ). We met the other Scottish team heading in the opposite direction near Northallerton at silly-o'clock in the morning just after leaving Phil's, they were just on their way there.

And so on to York for breakfast at the Postern Gate.
The Postern Gate seemed good to us, the back section seemed pretty packed with teams by the time we left ( about 9:15 ) to catch the train.
The staff seemed cheery, and the place didn't feel overwhelmed.

1st class train back to Edinburgh at 10 o'clock on Saturday, and then a rather slow 17k from Edinburgh Waverly station up to Dalmeny to collect the cars.

Thanks to Phil, Sue and staff at Langdon Beck, and Lucy for organising, and to the other team members for a great ride.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1680769618

Équipe Maillot de Rechange at THoFC - many thanks to Tiermat for having us  :)

IMG_8292_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Phil W

« Reply #187 on: 18 April, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »
Jiberjaber took this shot of me as we headed into the night.  I like the way it conveys a sense of motion, and captures my front light as dusk falls.  Most other shots of me and it looks like I'm stationary on the bike.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #188 on: 18 April, 2017, 02:45:05 pm »
Nice reading the ride reports. I feel spoiled living in Central Scotland as at least I can ride in one dirction if I ever join an Arrow Team. Some of these routes look quite convoluted, but remind me of my ride the weekend before where I rode through Howden, over the Humber Bridge, Via Brigg, Newark to Nottingham.

Chapeau on a good ride peeps.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #189 on: 18 April, 2017, 03:14:43 pm »
I feel spoiled living in Central Scotland as at least I can ride in one dirction if I ever join an Arrow Team.

Straight into the teeth of a south-westerly (although thankfully not this year) and over the Pennines ;)
@CorbieLinnRider

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #190 on: 18 April, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »
I feel spoiled living in Central Scotland as at least I can ride in one dirction if I ever join an Arrow Team.

Straight into the teeth of a south-westerly (although thankfully not this year) and over the Pennines ;)

I know I did a similar ride the weekend before.  ;D
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/