Author Topic: The excitement is back!  (Read 2403 times)

The excitement is back!
« on: 25 February, 2015, 08:06:28 pm »
Due to work commitments and a few fitness niggles, I haven't been on my fixed for 18 months - not even a normal bike!. To be honest, it hasn't been a fixed gear bike since sometime in 2012, as I fitted a White Industries Freewheel to give my body a rest on the constant decents around where I live - going up is fine but by the time I'm knackered I didn't have enough strength to prevent my arse acting like a jack hammer on the saddle on anything above 150rpm (while fresh I can exceed 200rpm in short stints).

Recently, I've been able to get out and about on my MTB to practice turning-my-legs-in-circles before the main event - this afternoon I was a step closer as I swapped the SS freewheel for a fixed gear. I must admit, the simple thought of the first ride was somewhat exciting but once I tightened everything up and rotated the cranks while up on the stand, the noise of the gear train gave me smile - very fixed gear sounding and mechanically pleasant, hearing each link mating with the sprocket tooth with no jockey wheel noise to get in the way.

I was just about to take it for a sneaky spin around the block just to remind myself of the feeling but... it was raining - it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Back in doors, I thought about it some more - I could have a £8k road bike loaned to me for a few days sitting in the garage for me to use... but the thought of that is nothing compared to the excitement of my reintroduction with my fixie!

Simple things, I know, but I'm sure there's someone out there that can empathise with me :)
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The excitement is back!
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2015, 08:36:05 pm »
When I lost my cycling mojo a few years ago, it was discovering The Joy Of Fixed that rekindled the flame. Too much fun.

Unfortunately, my fixer is currently in bits and I'm lacking the necessary tuits (ie round ones) to do something about it. I miss it. :(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:58:22 pm »
Iv'e been back on fixed for about 2 weeks now and I am now back in the groove.I think this cold weather affects my muscles a bit and stops my legs from wanting to spin.About 120 rpm and my fingers go to cover the brake levers.29 mph is my fastest speed this year.Just need a bit more practice,thats all.

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
Glad to hear it! Converting my Mercian to fixed as I miss plodding and whirring the Welsh hills....Haven't had the mojo for a while but it will happen  :)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2015, 08:22:53 pm »
Steady on folks, you might tempt a few skimmers to start cycling  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:35:31 pm »
I broke the frame on mine a few weeks ago — top tube snapped. As it's a few weeks yet until the new frame arrives I had to hurriedly search the garage for a replacement. 

So, fixed, with temporary frame, and I rode the Mad March 200 yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well it went. Chugged round in under 11 hours. It was too wet and slippery to descend very fast, but I recorded 58+km/hr somewhere.  Find a 300 now.

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:30:47 am »
The sun's out; it's dry; but it's bloody cold. Turbo's got a flat  ??? and a I need a new tube - a perfect excuse to get out on the fixed to get a replacement tube? I know I should. Bit of a stiff climb on the way back but I'll try and keep the hernia at bay... watch this space!

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:05:25 pm »
I went out but it was only a 30 minute ride. Impressions:
  • riding a 300km audax like I used to manage on a number of occasions now seems a long way off!
  • very wobbly - but that's probably due to not having ridden a road bike for a over a year
  • 90rpm was nice on the flat and topped out at 130rpm on a decent - no need for brakes - zero chance of being able to match those high cadences of yesteryear for a while!
  • low cadences were more pleasurable up the small climbs - standing was good too
  • remembered to let the bike control the cadence rather than trying to push it too much for very little gain
  • nice to put the front brake on and lift the back wheel at junctions again!
Overall - good. Must try and get out on it often to build my legs up so that I can do some proper distances and get that all-over-body workout you get when doing a AAA style ride  :sick:

:thumbsup: