Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338613 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #675 on: 07 July, 2019, 12:17:18 am »

Cluster and max square stubbornly refusing to go anywhere. But I have now passed 8000 total tiles, current count is 8073!

Long term challenge score is moving. Am up to 26th, with 284 municipalities, and 1st for calendar year, with 242.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #676 on: 07 July, 2019, 09:35:22 am »
On the trip up to Tan Hill for the summer gathering I did a few bridleways near Northallerton and added the Masham/Bedale cluster to the meta-cluster. Max cluster just tipped over the 1.5k at 1502. Next mission is to spend time on the max square near Hull and see if I can get it to reach York.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #677 on: 07 July, 2019, 01:05:16 pm »
Out on the bike, then a run through the woods. Scrambled down a slope through some brambles to the shore. Just made it into the corner of the tile anyway.

« Reply #678 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:03:15 pm »
I've finally managed to add ONE NEW SQUARE  ;D which will help me expand my maximum square. (I've done lots of other cool stuff, but chasing a bigger square has not happened...)

« Reply #679 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »
On the trip up to Tan Hill for the summer gathering I did a few bridleways near Northallerton and added the Masham/Bedale cluster to the meta-cluster. Max cluster just tipped over the 1.5k at 1502. Next mission is to spend time on the max square near Hull and see if I can get it to reach York.

Howardians are looking close to cluster with a ride or two...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #680 on: 16 July, 2019, 12:47:33 pm »
I filled in some key tiles on the weekend and was able to advance the Southern border of my max square by 3.

Some great riding around that area. Lots of this:

& a bit of this:

I now need to work on the Eastern and Western borders, which involves some slightly less appealing areas.

Seen the news that Strava blocked Relieve.cc from using their API? Not good. I hope that they don't ideas about killing Veloviewer!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #681 on: 16 July, 2019, 12:51:49 pm »
Seen the news that Strava blocked Relieve.cc from using their API? Not good. I hope that they don't ideas about killing Veloviewer!

Veloviewer only uses strava data, so it should be OK.

Fingers crossed.

J
--

« Reply #682 on: 25 July, 2019, 09:08:53 pm »
I discovered the joys of 'bagging' squares a week or so ago and have managed to increase my counts a bit since. I'm in Cormwall, with loads of sea around, so my max square is only 12 but I have plenty of other  tiles from tours in the UK and Europe over the past 5 years (18000+ tiles, 747 cluster).
Anyway, I've successfully installed OsmAnd and 'Explorer Helper' to help with the process of filing squares. But OsmAnd only shows my tiles when I zoom in a lot - maybe showing 4 tiles at most. From other posts on here (I haven't read them all yet, only 18 pages out of 28!) it seems to be possible to get more tiles showing on a lesser zoom level. So what am I doing wrong?

« Reply #683 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:11:28 am »

Anyway, I've successfully installed OsmAnd and 'Explorer Helper' to help with the process of filing squares. But OsmAnd only shows my tiles when I zoom in a lot - maybe showing 4 tiles at most. From other posts on here (I haven't read them all yet, only 18 pages out of 28!) it seems to be possible to get more tiles showing on a lesser zoom level. So what am I doing wrong?

On the map screen, long press either the + or - and select 25%.    Does that fix it?
Eddington: 114 Miles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #684 on: 26 July, 2019, 08:40:13 am »
Living on Lewis was a bit crap for squares and clusters and once you'd done an DIY SR series on the island you had visited most of the tiles. Only recently aware of this option (last week) on Velo Viewer and since moving to Dumfries I've upped my square from a 3x3 to a 6x6, my cluster is 62 and I'm on on 2853 tiles.

Still restricted by surrounding trackless forest and moorland and the Solway Firth - going to be a good challenge.

« Reply #685 on: 26 July, 2019, 09:12:28 am »

On the map screen, long press either the + or - and select 25%.    Does that fix it?
perfect, thanks, just in time for my ride today  :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #686 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:48:53 pm »
3 new tiles today increased the max cluster to 753 and boosted the max square from 15 to 17. I like that efficiency :-)

« Reply #687 on: 28 July, 2019, 11:04:31 pm »
Bit of a panic yesterday as I opened up one of the Border Raids which had missed a couple of tiles, and it robbed me of one of the tiles within my max square. Down to 29x29! I thought I'd spotted all of those.

It was less than ten miles away, and a good excuse for a bike ride in the drizzle.

With some solid work the last couple of weeks, and that stray tile, my square is back to 39x39, and the cluster is a satisfying 3570. I've got a pincer move going on the Leeds-Bradford conurbation, but I'm not in a rush to ride around there. A winter project, perhaps, and hopefully the cluster will be up to 4000 by the end of the year. A 40x40 square is just a few tiles away, which I might do before PBP.

My golden rule (which I usually manage to stick to) is that it should still be a decent bike ride.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #688 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:25:47 pm »
Targeted 5 tiles today taking my total to 2858. Upped my square from 6x6 to 7x7 and cluster from 62 to 91  :)

« Reply #689 on: 05 August, 2019, 11:34:32 am »
I set off yesterday to do 90km targeting an area east of Oxford around the M40-ish.  When I uploaded the gpx, I found I'd totally missed a tile in the middle, which was around 100metres from a junction I'd been through, oh well.   ::-)  ;)  Now up to 900 cluster, and increased square by 1, to 21x21.  Did quite a few dead end spur sections, but still really enjoying going to areas I wouldn't normally venture to.  A side benefit of doing more 'off-road' is that it makes the road surfaces around here relatively not seem quite as bad...  oh, and I dropped my phone for the first time, onto tarmac, taking a pic on the go, fortunately no harm done.

Abingdon bridge - early by a oxon, on Flickr

Bridleway nr Appleford by a oxon, on Flickr

This was me doing a bridleway, unusually - not to bag a new tile, but because I'd not done it before and wanted to see what it was like...

« Reply #690 on: 06 August, 2019, 10:53:47 am »
I seem to have a lot of routes that consist of straight lines between points, missing some squares, but more annoyingly passing through some that i didn't ride on. 
These seem to be from the early days of using Strava, 2010 and 2011 mostly.

When I look at the routes in Strava, the track follows the road, but in VV, it has straight lines

Is there any way of fixing this other than clicking 2700+ rides I have logged individually
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #691 on: 06 August, 2019, 12:01:20 pm »
I seem to have a lot of routes that consist of straight lines between points, missing some squares, but more annoyingly passing through some that i didn't ride on. 
These seem to be from the early days of using Strava, 2010 and 2011 mostly.

When I look at the routes in Strava, the track follows the road, but in VV, it has straight lines

Is there any way of fixing this other than clicking 2700+ rides I have logged individually
If you read upthread, this has been talked about before, and there's no automatic way of sorting this.  But you can reduce the amount of rides that you need to calculate tiles for....

The false positives and false negatives tend to occur on the longer rides where the downsampling has the biggest difference.

If you list your activities in veloviewer in order of length, longest to shortest and also use the filter 'tiles calculated : no' .   You can then work your way down your list.

I've got 4300 activities on veloviewer & I've worked my way down my list, I've only got rides of less than 27km that haven't been calculated yet & they are all local rides, commutes etc that don't affect my tile count. 
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #692 on: 06 August, 2019, 12:26:46 pm »
Thanks PeeJay, much appreciated
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #693 on: 06 August, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »
Somebody posted this on another forum and I thought some on this thread might be interested. I know no more than what is at the link.
https://gapnotes.com/veloviewer-explorer/
"I am currently doing a project on Veloviewer Explorer and would like to talk to people who use that feature of Veloviewer. The aim is to understand how we use the feature and why it is so compelling, addictive, or however you would describe it."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #694 on: 07 August, 2019, 07:18:30 pm »

Not getting anywhere with the square or cluster, but the total number of tiles is going up...

8564 so far...

J
--

« Reply #695 on: 11 August, 2019, 05:14:39 pm »
Had to walk 400metres+ across an open field to bag an inaccessible tile.  On the way back, realised I'd left the garmin on the bike at the access gate.  And... repeat, with gps in hand.   ::-) ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #696 on: 11 August, 2019, 07:29:23 pm »
Had to walk 400metres+ across an open field to bag an inaccessible tile.  On the way back back, realised I'd left the garmin on the bike at the access gate.  And... repeat, with gps in hand.   ::-) ;D

On last years TCR, one rider took their bag off at the bottom of the CP4 parcours to make getting up and down easier, only to get back and discover their tracker was attached to the bag at the bottom...

J
--

« Reply #697 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:16:15 am »
Had to walk 400metres+ across an open field to bag an inaccessible tile.  On the way back, realised I'd left the garmin on the bike at the access gate.  And... repeat, with gps in hand.   ::-) ;D

Sounds familiar  ;D

« Reply #698 on: 21 August, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »
Done a bit more work expanding in several directions, including beyond low tide mark again, most noticeably towards Callander with a ride to watch the Women's Tour of Scotland on Duke's Pass and the Riding the Ghost Audax.  Just need one square near Stirling to bring Callander into the Cluster

No of tiles is now 2627, Custer is 810 with Max square stuck at 11x11

Goals for the rest of the Year
1) Bring Callander, Perth , Dundee and North Berwick into my cluster
2) Complete missing squares in the Lomond Hills
3) Bag a few tiles in Pentlands and Livingston to bring max square up to 13x13

If I do all of those the cluster should clear 1000

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #699 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:58:12 pm »
4 new tiles increased my cluster around Dumfries from 103 to 110