Author Topic: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight  (Read 23411 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight
« on: 23 February, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
Walking through the Meadows, on the south side of Melville Drive heading west, didn't really notice a cyclist going past me, then definitely noticed a convoy of 5 or 6 police motorbikers, and really definitely noticed the front one slowing down and gesturing very angrily at the (unlit) cyclist. I was about 20 yards away and had my mp3 player in so couldn't hear exactly what he was saying, but could hear that he was yelling something at her. I assume it was about her having no back light, or that her back light (if she had one) was obscured by her jacket. He didn't stop, or make her stop, and she carried on her way after they'd all gone, but it looked like she was getting quite a telling-off.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Fluffy

Re: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2010, 11:07:07 am »
And so she should, it really annoys me when I see other cyclists with no lights and dark clothing at night. I have a super bright headlight and a very bright rear, I also wear a reflective yellow tabard. If we can make the effort to be seen so can others.

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »
you ride at night with your mp3 on your brave.

I often see the no light cyclist jumping red lights while multi-tasking by making a phone call now I used totell them that they should get some lights, but they were always to busy talking to reply so I gave up.

iakobski

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2010, 03:26:36 pm »

At night you know when there's a car behind you because of the lights, surely it's safer to use headphones at night than in the day?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »

There are opposing views on use or not of mp3 players while riding, I tend not to most of the time but am not against it.  In this particular case the debate is not relevant anyway as Kirst noted she was walking.

cb

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2010, 03:33:26 pm »

Walking through the Meadows

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2010, 03:38:03 pm »
I never said that I was opposed to it, I just was saying that I would not do it and admiring her bravery

« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »
Hearing is underrated.

What sense works at a distance? Works in all directions simultaneously? Tells you angle, speed, distance and type of vehicle?

I don't need spidey-sense, I have ears.

They tell me "bus coming up, slowing slightly. Car accelerating and swinging wide. HGV braking suddenly ahead." etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2010, 04:24:43 pm »
I never said that I was opposed to it, I just was saying that I would not do it and admiring her bravery

I was trying to (gently) point out that Kirst wasn't riding while listening to an mp3 player, she was walking.

« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2010, 04:39:32 pm »
I love 'discussions' on Internet forums.

"You say you were wearing an mp3 player whilst walking, there are plenty of reasons why I won't listen to an mp3player whilst riding a bicycle..."

"Fancy a meet up for a pint? I wouldn't drink and then operate heavy machinery, it could lead to an accident..."

etc...

*sigh*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 25 February, 2010, 04:53:21 pm »
I think we've done this discussion.  My hearing's a bit impaired, so I don't use an MP3.  Others might like to, but their hearing may be better than mine even with the earphones in.  We're different, and it's OK to disagree.  I don't like pedestrians wandering into the road without looking, but they may have done that anyway, even if they were not distracted by music/phone conversation/whatever.

Virtually no motorists can hear what is going on outside, even if they don't use ICE.

Some people do somethings; some others do different.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 25 February, 2010, 05:36:25 pm »
Hearing is underrated.

What sense works at a distance? Works in all directions simultaneously? Tells you angle, speed, distance and type of vehicle?

They tell me "bus coming up, slowing slightly. Car accelerating and swinging wide. HGV braking suddenly ahead." etc.

Hearing is not very good directionally, and you're making big assumptions that people listening to music can't also hear over that perfectly well.

Besides which, the above implies that your observation when riding a bicycle is deficient.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #12 on: 25 February, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »
Hearing is over-rated.

On bicycling, the sense of hearing and headphones

d.

Hmmm....don't agree with that at all.

If I were to wear headphones, as odd as it may seem, I'd be most likely to wear them in a busy urban situation where the background din hides a lot of the detail of what is going on, but for the kind of open road cycling I do you'd never catch me being so daft as to wear headphones.  My hearing has alerted me to recklessly driven vehicles on a number of occasions and enabled me to take evasive or assertive actions.

Zoidburg

« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2010, 07:26:50 pm »
People who say that hearing is over rated have never learned to use their ears properly.

Like Flatus I can think of many times when it has saved me from getting my card punched by a moton.

« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2010, 07:31:29 pm »
I like hearing.

Didn't like it not one bit, no, not at all, never,  when I was on the Honda and had an ear infection which impaired my hearing.

Couldn't tell when I was about to be overtaken.

My mate (Bad) Keith's advice of "Make sure nobody overtakes you" didn't help.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #15 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:50:46 pm »
I was walking. I was walking. I was walking.

« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:53:16 pm »

Sorry,
Didn't hear you.

'Had my headphones in  :-*

EDIT - I know, I iz bad  ::-)

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:21:56 pm »
Hearing is underrated.

Hearing is not very good directionally, and you're making big assumptions that people listening to music can't also hear over that perfectly well.

Besides which, the above implies that your observation when riding a bicycle is deficient.

eh?
Your logic is strange.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »

Indeed. Some of us can read.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:48:35 pm »
I want to know what the polis motorbike convoy was doing.

« Reply #20 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:18:50 am »

eh?
Your logic is strange.

Not at all - if you need your hearing, then you're failing to look properly.  It's the CTUK line.

« Reply #21 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:31:41 am »
lol

I look properly mate.

I also use my hearing.

I ride on 70mph dual carriageways, frequently with very limited visibility (rain on glasses, oncoming headlights in the dark) and debri on the road. Can't look over shoulder all the time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:43:50 am »
It seems rather that you yourself don't trust your observation and know it's not good enough, which is why you feel the need to rely on your hearing.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #23 on: 26 February, 2010, 07:18:44 am »
I want to know what the polis motorbike convoy was doing.

And, more importantly, were they wearing headphones ?  ;)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #24 on: 26 February, 2010, 11:20:34 am »
It seems rather that you yourself don't trust your observation and know it's not good enough, which is why you feel the need to rely on your hearing.

So you can see round corners can you?  I can't, but I can hear round them and if I hear a car approaching at speed on a corner that I am already half round it let's me know that I might have to hit the curb pronto.  

Also, you can see the car behind you but you can't see a car behind that that may be approaching at speed... You can certainly hear it.  Engine tone tells you a lot about the attitude of the driver, these are things you can't always see.

Besides, your comment about using ears because you aren't looking well enough is pretty silly.  If you have two senses then use them both. Perhaps if you rode a little more intelligently you wouldn't need to keep posting your silly little videos  ;D