Author Topic: Albert Bridge, open to cyclists or not?  (Read 1938 times)

Albert Bridge, open to cyclists or not?
« on: 16 February, 2010, 05:37:25 pm »
I re-routed yesterday and have the day off today, but is the bridge open to cyclists or not?

Re: Albert Bridge, open to cyclists or not?
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
Not, unless you dismount.

Albert Bridge closure

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2010, 10:51:25 pm »
only the pedestrian pavement on the west side of the bridge is open at the moment, which is pretty narrow already...

wouldn't the whole area work better if the Albert bridge was closed to motor traffic and Battersea Bridge doubled in width?

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2010, 12:54:33 pm »
thanks guys, rode it today. Only the 20m closest to the embankment on the north section are closed. The rest you can ride. So it's a short walk and then you're back on your way again. I don't know how long this will last, but at least it saves a lengthy diversion for now.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »
My commute via Lombard Road, Battersea Square, Battersea Park etc is lovely and quiet this week (although it is half term). 

Were it up to me (which of course it isn’t) I would permanently close the bridge to motor traffic.  Having lived in West London back when Hammersmith Bridge was closed I would close that too to all but pedestrians, buses and cyclists.

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2010, 01:09:13 pm »
I agree. It's had temporary closures before and it was lovely to be able to ride slowly over the bridge and look at the river and the views up and down the Thames.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »
Ah. Thanks for this. I've been re-routing via Wandsworth Bridge, which is not nearly as pretty.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »
Last night there were PCSO's stopping cyclists who were riding across the bridge. I don't know if they were getting tickets, but a lot of paperwork was being generated.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2010, 02:48:53 pm »
I should go for a skate across there!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.