Author Topic: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight  (Read 23411 times)

Re: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight
« Reply #125 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »
Poser?

Care to repost that photo of you skating past the Albert Monument?   ;)

Oi, can you layoff poor wendy?

He wasn't posing, anyway, he was flirting with the cameraman.

For the record, I passed someone just as closely last night. And it had nothing to do with the girl at the bus stop that I wasn't looking at, honest.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #126 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »

Curious that he's ressurected a thread that died a fortnight ago.
My threads never die, they just stop for a bit of a sit-down.

We need cake ...

« Reply #127 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:44:42 am »
Poser?

Care to repost that photo of you skating past the Albert Monument?   ;)

LOL, I did post that *very* tongue in cheek.   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #128 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:49:40 am »
I would have been too embarrassed to put that one up. You almost got that guy badly hurt!.

Don't be ridiculous.  I didn't do anything to that guy, and I certainly didn't intend for him to get a fright.  It's entirely his fault for not looking behind himself regularly, and for riding like an absolute muppet.  It's not as though I sneaked up behind him where he couldn't see me, and shouted Boo!

Were you not taught in cycle training/driver training to look behind?

Jakob

« Reply #129 on: 19 March, 2010, 05:17:41 pm »
I would have been too embarrassed to put that one up. You almost got that guy badly hurt!.

Don't be ridiculous.  I didn't do anything to that guy, and I certainly didn't intend for him to get a fright. 

You engaged him in conversation and nearly caused him to run into the back of a car and when he saw it, he went on the inside, as he probably didn't have time to notice that it was indicating to turn to the left.
That could have ended quite badly, primarily because you want to be self-righteous and whine about the red light. Your little 'lecture' could easily have ended in a bad accident.

« Reply #130 on: 19 March, 2010, 05:54:05 pm »
Nonsense, I could stop easily and I barely had to breathe on the brakes to wait behind that car.  He could have too, but he chose to undertake the car.  That sort of riding was quite consistant with what I'd seen from him up till then, so I would have expected him to undertake it anyway.  That car had been indicating left since it stopped there, and the only reason it would be in that lane is to go left anyway since it's a left turn only lane.

I'd been behind him since New Cross, some 3 miles earlier, so I'd no idea he didn't know I was there.  TBH I genuinely didn't expect him to get such a fright, and would have preferred to avoid giving him one, but that's easy to say with hindsight.  I don't think I could have made any normal conversation or other noise without him jumping a mile, and that's because he was so unaware.

I do recall you posting about how you didn't like my use of POB back on C+ IIRC, and your excellent post back then convinced me I was wrong to use that term.  Your posts on this topic however are totally out of line an rather unfair, and seem spiteful to me.  I seem to recall you were a London RLJer, am I wrong?

« Reply #131 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »
Some people do live in a world of their own and jump very easily.
One good example is a woman where I work. Several in fact, but one of the more memorable occasions was when I was standing at the top of a flight of stairs. They're a bit narrow, so I wait for people who aren't going my way. She walked in the door into the building, so I waited. Then she climbed the stairs with me standing at the top, watching and waiting. As she steps onto the last stair, she finally sees me and jumps out of her skin.
 ;D ::-) ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #132 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:10:00 pm »
A down-wrong rider did once give me a start, but he redeemed himself with 10 miles of draft, so I'm not complaining.
(I think it was YACF's Johnny Thin, on the PS200k; I'd recently suffered moton aggro, and there was something about his faired machine that looked/sounded like an overtaking WVM.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #133 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:13:17 pm »
Some of us have very heightened startle responses. Often the result of some trauma in the past. I've spilled drinks, made other people jump, etc. before with mine.

I absolutely hate close flypasts, especially if they don't have Campag freewheels or knobbly tyres. Either a 'hello' as they approach, or a lot of room. I am not looking forward to the ubiquitous electric car. And no, I shouldn't have to spend my entire time on the bike swivelling my head round like Linda Blair, thank you.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #134 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:17:01 pm »
  I seem to recall you were a London RLJer, am I wrong?

Nope, not wrong. I would jump the odd red light.

I'd been behind him since New Cross, some 3 miles earlier
Hmmm? Someone at your speed being behind that guy for 3 miles? Even if he's jumping the lights, that seems very unlikely.

Your posts on this topic however are totally out of line an rather unfair

How about some HTFU. You got a complete online video library pointing self-righteous fingers at others, so here's some fingers pointing back.

Anyways: Back to my earlier question:

So, you hear a car revving up behind you and take a look behind. Without that audio cue, would you check behind you?.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #135 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:19:02 pm »
I don't like cyclists passing me that close.  As well as it being startling, I could collect them if I dodged to avoid a pothole or something.  The fact that lots of cyclists behave like that doesn't make it right.  You should always give other road users plenty of room, no matter what you think of them.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #136 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »
Some of us have very heightened startle responses. Often the result of some trauma in the past. I've spilled drinks, made other people jump, etc. before with mine.

I absolutely hate close flypasts, especially if they don't have Campag freewheels of knobbly tyres. Either a 'hello' as they approach, or a lot of room. I am not looking forward to the ubiquitous electric car. And no, I shouldn't have to spend my entire time on the bike swivelling my head round like Linda Blair, thank you.

That does rather support the CTUK line that if a vehicle surprises you, you're not looking back enough.  I also have a strong startle response.

How often do good drivers check their mirrors?

« Reply #137 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
Hmmm? Someone at your speed being behind that guy for 3 miles? Even if he's jumping the lights, that seems very unlikely.
Yes, I was behind because he jumped loads of lights.

How about some HTFU. You got a complete online video library pointing self-righteous fingers at others, so here's some fingers pointing back.

I wouldn't mind if you were justified.  I've accepted criticism in the past when I've made mistakes, and I've learnt from them.

Anyways: Back to my earlier question:

So, you hear a car revving up behind you and take a look behind. Without that audio cue, would you check behind you?.

I would hope to have seen the car long before it revved behind me, and I almost always have done.  I know my observation, especially on the upright, isn't as good as it should be, but I try to look both regularly and before critical points.

« Reply #138 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:28:53 pm »
I don't like cyclists passing me that close.  As well as it being startling, I could collect them if I dodged to avoid a pothole or something.  The fact that lots of cyclists behave like that doesn't make it right.  You should always give other road users plenty of room, no matter what you think of them.

Do you think I was too close, Biggsy?

« Reply #139 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »

But how close was it? I can't really tell.
But yes, I agree with what you say about other cyclists passing too close. A fast cyclist passing a slow cyclist makes a very loud and sudden whooshing sound if they get close so I'm always extra wary if I'm on a flyer and get some plodders in my sights.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #140 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:31:09 pm »

I absolutely hate close flypasts, especially if they don't have Campag freewheels of knobbly tyres. Either a 'hello' as they approach, or a lot of room. I am not looking forward to the ubiquitous electric car. And no, I shouldn't have to spend my entire time on the bike swivelling my head round like Linda Blair, thank you.

That does rather support the CTUK line that if a vehicle surprises you, you're not looking back enough.  I also have a strong startle response.

How often do good drivers check their mirrors?

No it doesn't. I ride according to conditions. You obviously missed the bit about electric cars.

I don't see why I should be looking behind me on country roads and lanes because some <deleted> thinks it is not a problem to give me a close, silent flypast.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #141 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:33:53 pm »
Do you think I was too close, Biggsy?

It's closer than I like to be passed, and closer than I pass other cyclists.

Jakob

« Reply #142 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:36:22 pm »

I wouldn't mind if you were justified.  I've accepted criticism in the past when I've made mistakes, and I've learnt from them.

So, what were you trying to achieve?. Not only are you very close to him, but you also force him to take his eyes off the road and look behind him? Whats the point with the lecture?
Besides, he's in the bus lane. Why should he have to look behind him?. When he moves around the parked car at the end of the clip, he does indeed look behind him before moving out, so you are being really unfair.

That you refuse to take responsibility for putting him at risk is rather concerning. Is that also a CTUK line?
"Please startle your fellow cyclists so they veer off to the side. This will ensure that you get the lane for yourself and will not be impeded."

« Reply #143 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:39:39 pm »
It's closer than I like to be passed, and closer than I pass other cyclists.

I didn't pass him, by the way, I stayed behind him, leaving him loads of space to do whatever he wanted.  If I'd been going past at some speed, I would have been across the line, but the speed differential between us was almost zero.

« Reply #144 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »
No it doesn't. I ride according to conditions. You obviously missed the bit about electric cars.

I don't see why I should be looking behind me on country roads and lanes because some <deleted> thinks it is not a problem to give me a close, silent flypast.

I look regularly behind even on quiet country lanes as like you I don't like being surprised by overtaking vehicles.

Back to the video, I didn't make a silent flypast of this chap, though I'm sure you didn't intend to imply that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #145 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »
No, I was merely following the thread and contributing to it.  :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #146 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:54:24 pm »
I didn't pass him, by the way

(Watches video again).  Ok, sorry, but you got too close to him, I think.

I don't look behind when I don't intend or expect to deviate from a straight line.  I can deal with vehicles getting very near to me, not that I like it or think it's justified.

« Reply #147 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:57:41 pm »
So, what were you trying to achieve?. Not only are you very close to him, but you also force him to take his eyes off the road and look behind him? Whats the point with the lecture?
Besides, he's in the bus lane. Why should he have to look behind him?. When he moves around the parked car at the end of the clip, he does indeed look behind him before moving out, so you are being really unfair.

That you refuse to take responsibility for putting him at risk is rather concerning. Is that also a CTUK line?
"Please startle your fellow cyclists so they veer off to the side. This will ensure that you get the lane for yourself and will not be impeded."

I would normally have said a cheery "Morning" or "on your right" in this case, which would have been at the same conversational volume and would have had exactly the same effect, I think.  I'll always announce myself when I come up behind another rider, precisely to avoid this.  You keep suggesting/implying I intended to give him a fright, which is b0ll0cks.

It's not my fault he got a fright - if he'd been looking regularly like any competent rider, there would have been no issue.  And of course you should check behind yourself in a bus lane, there could be a bus or taxi or any other vehicle approaching.  There's even more reason to check before a junction.

By the way, he didn't look behind when he passed the car, he only glanced to the side with almost no head movement.  It was the briefest of glances and wouldn't see more than a few meters to the side and behind, 45 degrees at best.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #148 on: 19 March, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »
Yes, a "morning" or "on your right" is just as startling when coming from a cyclist right behind your wheel that you didn't know was there.  No one should have to keep looking behind just to ensure they're not startled by people coming too close, so you shouldn't punish them for it.

« Reply #149 on: 19 March, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »
so you shouldn't punish them for it.

"Quick, there's a POB  flagrantly flouting the advice given in Cyclecraft and by CTUK....

....somebody call.....

........ Wendy"

(lol)