Author Topic: darktable - Linux photo catalogue and RAW editor  (Read 2529 times)

Afasoas

darktable - Linux photo catalogue and RAW editor
« on: 04 May, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »
Hello,

I've just discovered darktable, which looks like a Linux clone of Lightroom.
I'll be trying it when I get around to dual-booting my desktop with some or other flavour of 'nix.

Has anyone else here dabbled with it?
Thoughts?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: darktable - Linux photo catalogue and RAW editor
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2014, 11:15:33 pm »
I haven't tried Lightroom so can't compare. Tried darktable but it was way to complicated for what I need, so back to the Gimp for me.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2019, 09:37:31 am »
Thread necromancy, but I just tried the latest release of darktable and it looks pretty good.. If you're looking for a free alternative to Lightroom, definitely worth a try (I'm on a mac, but it's also linux and windows)

The file management seems pretty good, the editing is different to lightroom but seems excellent, the interface is also really good and surprisingly simple to learn.

This plus affinity could solve the lightroom + photoshop question.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2019, 12:16:23 pm »
Well since I wrote the above I have dived into Darktable. I use it to edit raw and batch edits as I have now gotten my head around it.

Though I do not use it to manage my photos, never trusted a program, that want to its thing to my photos/folders.

Had a random program on Linux that had the option "deleted duplicate" set from start. Lucky I had a backup of the folders/photos. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2019, 07:43:28 am »
I use darktable all the time now for editing my images.  :thumbsup: