Author Topic: Weird Etrex 30 track logging problem  (Read 1730 times)

Weird Etrex 30 track logging problem
« on: 06 February, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
I rode the Poor Student 200, following a track I'd uploaded to the Etrex.  At the end of the event I turned the Etrex off, as you do.

Before last weekend, I uploaded a track for the Willy Warmer and set the Poor Student track not to show on the map.  Before setting off on the Willy Warmer on Sunday, I reset trip data.  About 120k into the ride I noticed that the Etrex seemed to think I'd ridden about 160k.  On saving the logged track from Sunday and loading it into Bikehike, I find that the Etrex logged a straight line between the finish of the Poor Student and home, hence the extra distance on Sunday's track log.

I'd rather the Etrex didn't do that sort of thing.  How can I stop it?

I've tried swearing, but that doesn't seem to work...

Euan Uzami

Re: Weird Etrex 30 track logging problem
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2013, 09:34:14 pm »
Sorry for not having the answer, but has it added the distance to the total odometer as well as the trip odometer? ... because that's what I actually want to do. If you know how to increase the total odometer by about 11,000km without actually riding that 11,000km then I would like to know  :)

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2013, 09:50:37 pm »
Track Manager/CurrentTrack/SaveTrack at the end of the ride before switching off.

I'm always impressed about how far I seem to travel while sitting eating cake if I don't turn it off when I pull into the cafe.

--
Bryn

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:05:41 pm »
I think its worth making sure it is actually receiving a GPS signal, and showing the correct location, before you reset the trip computer and clear the track.
Otherwise it may assume you are still in the last place where you used it, and think you have travelled between there and your new location.

So switch it on, and leave it in an open space for a minute or so. Then reset it.

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2013, 07:48:10 am »
After a ride, transfer the track and all recorded data onto your computer and back it up on a Re-Write DVD and USB memory pen.
Then clean everything off the Garmin before loading the next route or track for the next ride.

"Back up, don't F**k up".
Start with a clean sheet. Then tracks, routes, logs etc can't get lost, erased, deleted etc.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:37:45 am »
+1 to fuaran (as usual).  This behaviour is a bit of a 'feature' really. 
It should be very easy to remove the offending Trackpoint (it will only be the first one) from the Willy Warmer tracklog.  If you can't do it in whatever software you have, you can still easily do it in a text editor, just 'find' the first instance of <trkpt and delete that and everything up to and including the subsequent first </trkpt>, and resave as gpx. 
(I take it the Mac does have a text editor.)  :demon:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:10:07 pm »
The logging on the new eTrex is a serious retrograde step, IMHO.  Not quite as bad as the cycling-specific Garmins where you can forget to start it logging in the first place, but you now have to think about manipulating tracklogs on the unit while cold and tired without deleting anything important, rather than safely having *everything* written to SD card regardless of what you do with the working track memory.

I'm also irked that the tracklog reset and trip computer reset have to be done separately, on a screen perilously close to a button that will wipe all your hard-tweaked UI settings.   >:(

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »
What if you use the auto archive feature. Then it should save and clear the tracklog each day.

« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:35:32 am »
Thanks everyone.  I'll try fuaran's suggestions and report back in due course.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2013, 11:01:17 am »
I'm also irked that the tracklog reset and trip computer reset have to be done separately, on a screen perilously close to a button that will wipe all your hard-tweaked UI settings.   >:(

Yes that is bad. But as fuaran says, it will auto-archive (and should be set to do so by default factory setting).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll