Author Topic: Willy Warmer 2020 - 209km from Chalfont St Peter's - Sat 18 Jan  (Read 3108 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Willy Warmer 2020 - 209km from Chalfont St Peter's - Sat 18 Jan
« on: 07 January, 2020, 02:07:06 pm »
Sat 81 Jan

Another of the formidable Paul's rides - with boutique accommodation at the Chalfont St Peter HQ the night before included!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-943/

Outlook is flattish - 209 km long, about 1250m climbing. I'm really looking forward to the ride, sleepover HQ means no silly getting-up-time for me (though it is train-able via Gerrards Cross), and I think I've persuaded a friend to make it her first audax, which would be a bit of a result as I got two others to give audaxing a go last January.

I'm sure some of you'll see me there.

Last year's thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=110213.0
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Re: Willy Warmer 2020 - 209km from Chalfont St Peter's - Sat 11 Jan
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:26:57 pm »
Are you sure about the date?

Phil W

Re: Willy Warmer 2020 - 209km from Chalfont St Peter's - Sat 11 Jan
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:33:45 pm »
Sat 11 Jan

Another of the formidable Paul's rides - with boutique accommodation at the Chalfont St Peter HQ the night before included!

I'm sure some of you'll see me there.

You doing the helper's ride a week early or just didn't fancy riding with others?

bludger

Re: Willy Warmer 2020 - 209km from Chalfont St Peter's - Sat 18 Jan
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:40:54 pm »
Sorry mix up with my diary, I'm MTB ing that day 💁‍♂️

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2020, 05:38:53 pm »
Sorry mix up with my diary, I'm MTB ing that day 💁‍♂️

Now reads Sat 81 Jan. Not having a good day with dates are you!

bludger

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2020, 08:24:58 pm »
they wrok your figners to the bone in the bike industry I'm afriad.

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2020, 09:12:59 pm »
I'm in  :) hoping no repeat of last year's weather

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
The weathermen are telling me that Storm Brendan will blow itself out and we will be set for a fine albeit slightly brisk day on Saturday., which as we've just passed through the 130 entries mark is just as well!

I'm working up to girding my loins - and soaking some beans! - for the weekend and look forward to seeing y'all then. As normal the no-mod-cons accommodation offer is in operation, i.e., riders are welcome to stay over at the Community Centre on Friday night and leave kit with me during the day.  Mail me for meetup details.

STOP PRESS: Like the royal family, I seem to have run out of junior family members - they grow up so fast! - so if you are available for a couple of hours on Saturday evening and interested in experiencing the full glamour of life 'behind the counter' we'd be pleased to see you. PM me for details. :)

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2020, 06:54:23 pm »
Ive just entered this using the ticketing entry system, my entry doesn't show on the AUK web site ! Any ideas ??

« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2020, 07:20:15 pm »
Don't Panic.

This is just a downside of Paul's new system. When you get his confirmation email it will probably have this paragraph - "Old hands will have noticed that this year I have adopted an external event entry system. This saves a lot of effort especially with larger events. The downside is that it is not integrated with the AUK website and consequently your entry will not appear in your personal calendar on the Audax UK website, even after I upload the start list."

« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2020, 07:32:32 pm »
Don't Panic.

This is just a downside of Paul's new system. When you get his confirmation email it will probably have this paragraph - "Old hands will have noticed that this year I have adopted an external event entry system. This saves a lot of effort especially with larger events. The downside is that it is not integrated with the AUK website and consequently your entry will not appear in your personal calendar on the Audax UK website, even after I upload the start list."
Many thanks..

Manotea

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2020, 08:34:05 pm »
Neil has it. Your validated brevet will show in your palmares when the event results are loaded and will count towards all awards; that end is business as usual. :)

Manotea

« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:25:31 am »
110 Riders away, chilli cooked. Time to prep some coleslaw and take a nap. :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:27:22 am »
Willy Warmer?  They won't even be able to *find* their willies after a day out in this frost!

Seriously, there was a lot of ice around this morning.  I popped to Tesco and the car was slipping as soon as I got off the main roads, on winter tyres.  Yesterday's rain didn't dry up.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:51:00 pm »
Great day out; really enjoyed that.  Many thanks to Paul and his merry band of helpers.
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #15 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:55:26 pm »
Good ride today, and the first Audax of 2020!! Yep, it was certainly a bit frostier than London, and we did see a few patches of ice along the roadside on the lanes, though nothing that would take you off yer bike.
It quickly warmed up, and after Pangbourne I felt like I was overheating. Tutti Pole in Hungerford was very busy, so went up the road and found 'Coffee 1' which actally did have excelent coffee!
A third of the way to Winersh, the shadows setting it (maybe spent too much time loafing in that coffee place) - and started feeling rather cold! Several sections of flooded lanes / B-roads. Then my PDW rear metal mudguard had a structral failure and snapped in two just under the brake bridge. Shit - remove offending part, cable ties onto bike and eventually continue. More flooded lanes. Backside now getting muck thown up all over :-(
Feels pretty damn cold after the Winersh control to the finish in darkness... But warm up quickly and get in shortly around 19:10.
A very welcoming Arrivee committee and excellent Chilli (with no expenses spared Tilda rice)!!!
Great event, thank you Paul and helpers!!! And Rimas for validating my card!!  :thumbsup:

bludger

« Reply #16 on: 18 January, 2020, 11:22:32 pm »
Cracking ride, lovely day, and I got meet the most adorable pony I've ever seen.

Guards going on with the next payslip...!

Ban cars.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 18 January, 2020, 11:41:41 pm »
Cold ride and not helped by my general lack of fitness / shaking off lurgey but nonetheless a cracking ride, certainly nicer than last year's rain.

Thanks Paul and helpers and also to lifesaver Parky for a lift back to London  :thumbsup:

Manotea

« Reply #18 on: 19 January, 2020, 02:29:37 pm »
Well, that's Edition#14 ticked off. Clear overnight skies gave way to a brilliantly sunny but chilly day which was distinctly crispy at the start. All told about 110 on the road and 102 making it home to be validated and force-fed chilli beans followed by peaches and rice pudding (its trad, dad), though there was not much "forcing" needed after a cold day out awheel.

My usual thanks to all of the riders who took part and made the event such a success, and especially to Calum Rogers, Dave Morrison and Rimas Grigenas for their help at the start and finish.

bludger

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2020, 02:24:53 pm »
Longer-form write up:

Excellent boutique hotel accommodation as usual. It seems some line dancers were in the main hall (which is my preferred spot) so I wiled away time down at the rub a dub. Just me and another chap (I'm bad with names, sorry) in the big hall. I was using two cheapo Decathlon sleeping bags (I find it easier to cycle with 2 small ones instead of a biggun), a 3/4 length mat and a travel pillow which was perfectly comfy, though I did need to put on a layer as the heating was (quite rightly) off and it was a chilly night.

Up in the morning - treated myself to a PB and J sandwich and did my bit to grease the event's rails by doing teas and coffees for the riders. It seems there was a big rush around 0835, but it tailed off at 0900 so I jumped on the bike and got going. What a terrific frosty morning for a ride, thankfully I didn't find the roads slippery.

Caught a bit of road rage near Marlow but that was it for the rest of the day for me, thankfully. The first control was very welcome, I just had the coffee and a nice chat with some riders and then scooted on. The route was ideal for winter riding - obviously not pancake flat but I didn't have any issues managing my temperature. You can see from my cassette on the Sunday clean that the lower upper gears got barely any aggro on my 11-34.

The halfway tutti pole control was heaving - the chips looked good but I was warned by other riders that baked potato waits would be quite long. If it were a summer event I might be minded to wait but in winter rides I'd rather have my skates on to minimise my nighttime riding. Popped up the road to the co op, and got lunch and some snacks to keep me going. A kind audaxer taking her sandwiches kept an eye on my bike while I was in.

The second half had some lovely roads, and the red sky lent a lot of charm. At about 145 I happened across a farm shop, which I find is always worth dropping in on. For my troubles I picked up an excellent game and pork pie and scotch egg, plus an OK double espresso. It is the 'winter warmer' after all. The scotch egg really paid its own way later in the ride.

Unfortunately after nightfall I had a visit from the fairy, and since I wasn't running tubeless (unfortunately I'd bought some non-TLE tyres) the deflating was pretty rapid. Thankfully I wasn't going fast and/or down a hill.

The next control was just up the road - I didn't stop as I'd lost some time fannying around with the tyres, making sure I'd picked all the flints out with a knife, and did the rear one at the same time. Fortunately this was the only bike mishap on the ride.

The last 25 km of the ride is always the hardest in a 200 for me - I don't have the best seeing lights in the world, so I do slow down a bit to keep myself from plowing into a pothole and blowing out the tyres. The need to be constantly scanning the road surfaces really takes much of the fun out for me. But in any case nothing bad happened and I got in for a bowl of Paul's famous vegan chili. It was really good to see a big women's contingent from Bella Velo who had clearly had a great day out. Many thanks for the advice (whoever gave it) about getting the Chalfont and Latimer metropolitan line train home, which made things very easy for me. My end time was 11h20.

Thanks to Paul, the controllers and volunteers for putting on a great event. I look forward to the Winter Boat Ride ;D

Ban cars.

S2L

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2020, 03:01:59 pm »

Unfortunately after nightfall I had a visit from the fairy, and since I wasn't running tubeless (unfortunately I'd bought some non-TLE tyres) the deflating was pretty rapid. Thankfully I wasn't going fast and/or down a hill.

Those are expensive good weather summer only tyres, no wonder you got a flat... get some Durano for this time of the year

bludger

« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2020, 03:11:53 pm »
They're gravel kings, I've done big winter rides on them just got unlucky that day. They weren't that expensive, £22 per tyre isnt that much though my next pair will be the IRC tubeless ones off Cycle Clinic.

Ban cars.

S2L

« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2020, 03:32:38 pm »
They're gravel kings, I've done big winter rides on them just got unlucky that day. They weren't that expensive, £22 per tyre isnt that much though my next pair will be the IRC tubeless ones off Cycle Clinic.

I've had a pair, in fact I still have them on a bike I keep in Italy...  they are probably the worst tyres I've ever owned... slow and puncture-prone, the best combination. I don't think gravel and winter go hand in hand