Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
On The Road / Re: What changes would you make to cycling law?
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 02:57:33 pm »
only 1 colleague has raised this subject today - he'd like to see a clampdown on dangerously bright  ill-aimed lights on bikes.

[and I wouldn't argue with this!]

Same here. Rules on car lighting are well defined with regards to the height and shape of the beam for this reason, and with bike lights becoming ever more powerful, tighter controls are becoming necessary. Something along German lines would be a good model to follow.
« Last post by Redlight on Today at 02:53:49 pm »
it's very very easy, trivial in fact, for the average cyclist to implement

Hmm.  Front and rear plates?  What size - they would need to be readable by ANPR equipment, especially if linked to the insurance database, and by normally sighted humans from 70 yards (or whatever is required in the driving test).  Would they be reflective, like car plates?  Different colours front and back?  Could you transfer plates between bikes or have to have a separate set for each bike.  Would each bike then need to have a registered keeper - that  way you could always claim it was someone else riding when the PC knocks on your door to ask about that red light you jumped. What about kids' bikes - at what age do they need plates?. Where would you mount them? 

Not so trivial, I think.

I'd certainly recommend third party insurance, but it's difficult to see how that could be enforced except retrospectively in its absence after a collision.
Rides and Touring / Re: ACME Miscellany
« Last post by Oscar's dad on Today at 02:53:24 pm »
at some point on a road somewhere riding an event - so yes, a parallel universe

You told me you had an old fixed bike somewhere that you would dust down if you could find the parts.  I suppose if you had it in your 30s or 40s it would be a fairly vintage machine now.

We worked out yesterday evening 'fandango was the 4th oldest MEMWNS / ACME rider.  From memory it goes something like this:

Tomsk (oldest) - 60 this year
Grey Sheep - 60 sometime next year
BFC - 54 next January
'fandango - 54 on 7th February
Me - 54 on 27th February
I'm back on the 100 with an ECE. I have an evening at the Oktoberfest in Chelmsford to be back for so will be aiming to get it all done ASAP and bank my RRtY ride for the month in the process.
« Last post by Ben T on Today at 02:42:50 pm »
I would actually mandate insurance and number plates. No, hang on, hear me out. It would have the civil liberties brigade up in arms but if you think about the cost-benefit ratio, once you've accepted that you've got to do it, it's very very easy, trivial in fact, for the average cyclist to implement - but you get a massive win in terms of the perceived right to be on the road from everyone else including the daily mail brigade, which unfortunately a very sizeable proportion of the population belong to.
Rides and Touring / Re: ACME Miscellany
« Last post by tedshred on Today at 02:42:13 pm »
at some point on a road somewhere riding an event - so yes, a parallel universe

You told me you had an old fixed bike somewhere that you would dust down if you could find the parts.  I suppose if you had it in your 30s or 40s it would be a fairly vintage machine now.
Will there be food pre-ordering for the Maglia Rosso stop? That worked well last year, and the food was delicious.

This'll be my 3rd year in a row doing the 200km route, albeit the second time the event has run as the Richard Ellis Memorial ride. It is a great route with some lovely controls to look forward to.
The Sporting Life / Re: The cricket...
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 02:28:11 pm »
Damn! The start at Southampton has been delayed. Essex are 48 ahead, having followed on, with 7 second innings wickets left. On the grounds that batting last is never easy, if Essex can set a target in excess of 150 I reckon they are in with a fighting chance of winning the game.

*looks at forecast*

Hmm - heavy rain until 4pm. I doubt they will get any play today.
The Pub / Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Last post by Redlight on Today at 02:26:10 pm »
Within a mile of my abode
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41334906
 :(

Looks like the next series of The Apprentice is being made on a lower budget than previous ones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10