Author Topic: Shandy  (Read 6760 times)

ian

Re: Shandy
« Reply #25 on: 28 October, 2016, 02:15:03 pm »
What is the deal btw, with cider served over ice? When did that start? I apprenticed on Woodpecker cider and I don't think ice had been invented back then.

« Reply #26 on: 28 October, 2016, 02:24:27 pm »
What is the deal btw, with cider served over ice? When did that start? I apprenticed on Woodpecker cider and I don't think ice had been invented back then.

Probably the same as with American "beer" (bud et al) - chill it to within a couple of degrees of its freezing pint and then the punters can't taste just how bad it is

« Reply #27 on: 28 October, 2016, 05:14:53 pm »
One of the local tipples is cider and Vimto. Dry 'proper' cider with a dash of Vimto cordial in it to take the edge off.
I have tried it....once.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #28 on: 12 December, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »
You could probably float the guinness on the lemonade.  You can certainly float it on cider.

Hmm, the 'black and tan' is ubiquitous in the US (even more so, oddly, in 'Irish bars'). Guinness layered on Harp lager. Yes, Harp.

There's all kinds of other horrid layered drink concoctions.

Yuengling also offer a "black and tan" beer which I believe is their porter blended with regular lager. It's reasonably drinkable, given what goes into it is essentially two reasonably drinkable beers. Neither are particularly noteworthy but nor are they offensive to the tastebuds.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

« Reply #29 on: 12 December, 2016, 05:21:09 pm »

Probably the same as with American "beer" (bud et al) - chill it to within a couple of degrees of its freezing pint and then the punters can't taste just how bad it is

The main reason for serving beers like that ice cold is that it's sometimes the only way you can tell it from urine.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #30 on: 12 December, 2016, 05:28:49 pm »
You could probably float the guinness on the lemonade.  You can certainly float it on cider.

Hmm, the 'black and tan' is ubiquitous in the US (even more so, oddly, in 'Irish bars'). Guinness layered on Harp lager. Yes, Harp.

There's all kinds of other horrid layered drink concoctions.

A proper Black and Tan is Guinness and Bitter. My Dad used to drink them years ago.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #31 on: 12 December, 2016, 05:33:57 pm »
Try ordering a "white wine and soda" in a noisy pub, getting first a bemused look and then a foul concoction of house white and Bulmers.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #32 on: 17 December, 2016, 10:01:49 am »
Oh good god. Pernod and black. 30p a shot, Liverpool University Student Union, early nineties. The streets ran purple.

I was there!  but I usually stuck to the strangely pale bitter for 90p.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

contango

« Reply #33 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:53:08 pm »
Oh good god. Pernod and black. 30p a shot, Liverpool University Student Union, early nineties. The streets ran purple.

I knew a guy who decided to try drinking for the first time in a student bar. He saw someone with a purple drink and asked the barman what it was, and was told it was Pernod and black. So he asked for a pint of it....

I didn't get to stay around long enough to see what became of it. I suspect it wasn't a pretty sight...