Author Topic: Which tyre is fastest on your fast wheel?  (Read 3434 times)

simonp

Which tyre is fastest on your fast wheel?
« on: 22 November, 2016, 05:55:48 pm »
http://flocycling.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/flo-cycling-a2-wind-tunnel-tire-study.html

Interesting - IIRC, I used Continental GP4000 SII on PBP. It's the 2nd fastest tyre they tested. The difference between slowest and fastest in this test (at 35kph) is 9 watts. Per tyre.

Audio interview here which discusses this. They think the GP4000 SII tyre is particularly good aerodynamically, and it relates to the tread pattern. The Gatorskin has apparently got much higher rolling resistance.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Which tyre is fastest on your fast wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2016, 07:01:10 pm »
I race TTs on Supersonics and currently have GP4000 on my bling training wheels but I have found in the past that GP4000 have quite fragile sidewalls. I wonder why they tested the 23mm GP4000 at a lower pressure,  normally the thinner the tyre the higher the pressure?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2016, 09:53:56 pm »
conti gp tt is the same as 4000s2 (afaik), only with less rubber and weight an a different tread. they are very fast, yet have some puncture protection which is a great combination. shame they didn't include it in the test.

rob

« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2016, 12:40:24 pm »
I TT on GP4000s IIs, but could probably go a bit lighter.

I'm only going to race a few key events next year, though, so I'm a bit worried about using anything TT specific.   Losing time to fix a puncture could be pretty terminal.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »
In the podcast I linked, they discussed someone who used gatorskins in an ironman because punctures.

He lost the race by less than the time he'd have gained by using GP4000sII tyres instead. Their view was that the sII still has great puncture protection and if you're that worried use sealant.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2016, 08:55:37 pm »
Without bothering with statistics and purely going on feel my top three "fastest" are

Schwalbe One tubeless
Schwalbe Ultremo 28mm
Michelin Pro Race   (any version, the III were slower)

Partly this is grip.  If a tyre is fast and grippy I can corner faster

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2016, 11:17:41 pm »
If you get that much power loss aero on a tyre imagine how much difference your body makes which needs to displace a far far larger body of air around it.

rob

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:52:05 pm »
Been TTing on GP4000IIs for a couple of years.   With lighter (non latex) tubes they feel great.

It looks like TT podiums are 25g lighter but probably less p***ture resistant.

I'm toying with buying some for the shorter distances where having a flat is less important but it's a bit hard to work out whether the potential gain is really worth it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2017, 03:17:19 pm »
I wonder why they tested the 23mm GP4000 at a lower pressure,  normally the thinner the tyre the higher the pressure?

Not specifically about the GP4000 but seems relevant:

"The biggest surprise of all our testing was this: For supple tires, pressure makes little difference in performance. We tested three Vittoria tires (Rubino, CX clincher, CX tubular; all 25 mm wide) and found that the supple CX models roll as fast at 70 psi as they do at 130 psi."
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tire-pressure-take-home/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."