Author Topic: [LEL17] Volunteers: Who is in?  (Read 33248 times)

Re: Volunteers: Who is in?
« Reply #150 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:34:06 am »
Thanks essexian :-)
Spalding is not so bad. And well placed for a ride on the Monday when all has gone quiet (sure we can come up with a plan for those with bikes - even if its just the chip shop at Crowland - nice place)
Were hanging off from having specific roles at the mo, and the rota will be fluid - depending on how people feel. The Sunday will be flat out, so that will tell us all a lot

We really looking forward too. See u there :-)

And thanks again

« Reply #151 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:52:43 am »
It sounds like there's scope for quite a few volunteers to do DIY perms - rides to/from their control +/- rides during the quiet spells - could make an interesting Arrivee article! (Sadly I won't be one of them)

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #152 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »
Hi Jim and team.

Just to confirm, I am attending to help in whatever way I can and whilst popping out to knock out a few miles would be nice, the needs of the riders is my first concern! As to the highlights of Spalding, I have been there four times on business so really,  I was just trying to make a little joke.

Finally, having managed 60 volunteers when I ran a Citizens Advice Bureau, I know how difficult it can be! Its a bit like herding cats but without the fleas and the occasional purr.   ;D

See you there: really looking forward to it.

Highlights of Spalding - are you sure?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #153 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:43:27 pm »
Calling all Brampton volunteers... is anyone else staying in Carlisle on Saturday night and fancy meeting up in the evening to say hello? We are aiming to arrive there early afternoon and might have the temerity to go out for a bike ride (possibly down to Bowness) but will almost certainly be in town later.

« Reply #154 on: 18 July, 2017, 07:55:13 pm »
Calling all Brampton volunteers... is anyone else staying in Carlisle on Saturday night and fancy meeting up in the evening to say hello?

I'm at Eskdalemuir so not that far from Carlisle.  Saturday night?  I'm not sure what the Eskdalemuir timetable is like but I wasn't expecting any riders that far north until late Sunday or Monday.  What time are the first rides setting off?

« Reply #155 on: 20 July, 2017, 06:12:06 pm »
I'm an audax newbie and looking forward to helping out at Louth.  Bizarrely enough I have dreamt about it twice this week.  On the first occasion I rode there on my Genesis and then had to go home as nobody would tell me where to park it.  On the second occasion I was told I couldn't come in unless I was wearing a Manchester United shirt ...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #156 on: 20 July, 2017, 09:25:43 pm »
Calling all Brampton volunteers... is anyone else staying in Carlisle on Saturday night and fancy meeting up in the evening to say hello?

I'm at Eskdalemuir so not that far from Carlisle.  Saturday night?  I'm not sure what the Eskdalemuir timetable is like but I wasn't expecting any riders that far north until late Sunday or Monday.  What time are the first rides setting off?

The first, super-quick, riders go off at about 6am, I think.  Even so, unless there's one hell of a tailwind, I doubt you will be seeing any of them at Eskdalemuir before Monday evening.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #157 on: 20 July, 2017, 10:45:02 pm »
The first rider at Eskdalemuir in 2013 got there in 33 hours 41 minutes. The first start group this year is 5 am, which would mean they'd be at Eskdalemuir at 2:41 pm on Monday.

« Reply #158 on: 23 July, 2017, 07:31:37 pm »
Calling all Brampton volunteers... is anyone else staying in Carlisle on Saturday night and fancy meeting up in the evening to say hello? We are aiming to arrive there early afternoon and might have the temerity to go out for a bike ride (possibly down to Bowness) but will almost certainly be in town later.

I'm driving up from the South Coast, so stopping overnight near Birmingham & hitting the road again at first light.

Looking forward to meeting everyone early Sunday morning.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #159 on: 24 July, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »

I was - but not now. Arriving in Carlisle mid afternoon Saturday and heading over to my sister's (east of Brampton) as she is no longer going to be away.

« Reply #160 on: 24 July, 2017, 04:55:36 pm »
Hi Jim

I'm a newbie volunteer at Spalding. I can't fathom out how to order a t-shirt on here.

I may be able to make it for setting up but I'll be at the pub on Saturday evening so can I pick one up there ? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone before the event starts to get an idea of what's involved.

Regards

« Reply #161 on: 25 July, 2017, 01:12:32 pm »
Canaryboy
It might be too late to pre order a volunteer T shirt now- our bundle is at the post office, or at least on its way.
Im sure we have several spares. We LL get u one by fair means or foul ....... I'm sure other controls will have a few spares which we can ship around somehow.
Getting exciting now.....:-)

« Reply #162 on: 25 July, 2017, 01:34:53 pm »
If anyone fancies volunteering at Moffat - don't be shy !

We have volunteer spaces available ...

« Reply #163 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:11:10 pm »
Um unless I've missed it anyone know where the carpark is for volunteers at loughton. I've got the control from the route but not sure parkings on site.

Phil W

« Reply #164 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:38:05 pm »
It's onsite round to the left through the gate from the layout map I. have. I'm down there Friday during the day but on bike so can drink later.  Need to suss it out myself for when I have car Sat. I suspect from the layout that it's where the bike park was in 2013r but my memory may be playing tricks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #165 on: 26 July, 2017, 02:26:52 am »
Just updated Emily the TwatNav for the forthcoming peregrinations.  I must say that Mr Garmin has an even more elastic definition of "Time remaining" than even Microsith :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #166 on: 26 July, 2017, 07:17:49 am »
Finally the last day of term.  I shall start thinking about LEL once this is out of the way! #justabouthangingoninthere

I did note that there seemed to be a plenty of volunteers at the start this time, so decided discretion is the better part of valour and that I'd save my spoons for a control en route.  See some of you in Barney!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #167 on: 26 July, 2017, 08:11:09 am »
Finally the last day of term.  I shall start thinking about LEL once this is out of the way! #justabouthangingoninthere

I did note that there seemed to be a plenty of volunteers at the start this time, so decided discretion is the better part of valour and that I'd save my spoons for a control en route.  See some of you in Barney!

Could you confine yourself to Barney, please? Or a maximum of two controls?

Last time you caused my addled brain increasing amounts of confusion by appearing at every control, until on the penultimate leg I was expecting to see you between controls (on a bike, at the side of the road, at junctions - it varied). Hence your sig.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #168 on: 26 July, 2017, 09:40:32 am »
I'm an audax newbie and looking forward to helping out at Louth.  Bizarrely enough I have dreamt about it twice this week.  On the first occasion I rode there on my Genesis and then had to go home as nobody would tell me where to park it.  On the second occasion I was told I couldn't come in unless I was wearing a Manchester United shirt ...
on a route test last year, we stopped at pub in Louth. It appeared so rough we initially thought we may have to fight our way out (I fact, everyone was really nice, while in utter disbelief we were cycling to London on that day....)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #169 on: 26 July, 2017, 12:16:05 pm »
Last time you caused my addled brain increasing amounts of confusion by appearing at every control
A shortage of vols means some of us will be transferred from Loughton up to Moffat and then on to Eskdalemuir before moving back south to Loughton - so don't be worried if you see the same person at several controls.

(Next time I'll enter and ride it - looks like I'll get more sleep that way......)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #170 on: 26 July, 2017, 03:26:37 pm »

My better half is up in Edinburgh for a long weekend, and could be available from Monday to help make the magic happen (her quote, not mine).
Who should she contact to find out more ??

« Reply #171 on: 26 July, 2017, 07:44:16 pm »

My better half is up in Edinburgh for a long weekend, and could be available from Monday to help make the magic happen (her quote, not mine).
Who should she contact to find out more ??

Excellent news ! Thanks.

If she would like to get involved the first port of call would be https://londonedinburghlondon.com/volunteer-me/ so she can register details. Once that's all there we can arrange times and places etc. ...

The control email address is lelmoffat2017{at}gmail.com btw.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #172 on: 26 July, 2017, 08:22:36 pm »

(Next time I'll enter and ride it - looks like I'll get more sleep that way......)

That's what I said 4 years ago after working Brampton

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #173 on: 26 July, 2017, 08:30:53 pm »
Yes, last time I rode, packed at Moffat then went to Loughton to help out. Took a long time to recover from that.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #174 on: 27 July, 2017, 01:41:14 am »
I seem to recall from 2009 swiss hat otp finishing in a very respectable time nipping home for a shower and a kip and then returning to help us frazzled card stampers at Loony Villas Lea Valley  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime