Author Topic: What have I done?  (Read 2838 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
What have I done?
« on: 22 February, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »
On first inspection of the Landrover Dahon

Frame is sound, some scuffs to paintwork from folding contact points, some surface corrosion from being left out in the rain
Handlebar fold mechanism is missing parts - previous owner pointer out the wiggliness, and it was obvious that there is a space where "stuff" should be
Tyres and wheels both sound, one tyre appears almost new
Brakes appear sound, noodles corroded, probably replace cables and outers (may even have some in spares bin)
Gears - cassette is very grotty, needs a good soak as does the rear mech.  Chain looks OK, again needs a clean. Shift cable and outer needs replacing.

Should be an interesting project, just need to smuggle the bits in past the wife.

Photos will follow, if nothing else they'll be a reference to show people in the LBS when asking "have you got one of these?"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

Re: What have I done?
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2017, 06:31:57 pm »
Right,

now I've got a look at it in the daylight.

2 new brake cables, one new gear cable.  Outers look reasonable, but I have enough spare to replace them anyway. Brakes are OK, but I'll change the blocks

Chain and derailleur are soaking in a tub of muc-off, both look OK.

frame catches need replacing

Wheels look sound but the bearings are a bit rough, will strip and regrease axles.

Cassette looks ok, but does not appear to have a lock-ring, can anyone give me an idea how to take it off for a closer look?

Handlebar fold showing space where stuff should be

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »
I've got a Dahon (badged as a Trek) folder, but not that model.  I'll try and get a snap of the handlebar mechanism over the weekend to help identify what's missing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »
Cheers Tim,

I think looking at it, it's this lot, I've put the link in the Wanted section, see if anyone can help?

http://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927.sf/seca9df20ed35/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927/Products/DAHHANKITRADALU

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:09:38 pm »
I don't think you have the right bits for the handlebar post. I believe they may be from this type of handlebar post, where the lever is incorporated into the hinge pivot.
Your's seems to have the locking lever on the opposite side to the pivot.

ETA. Can you take another picture of the side view of the locking arm... From the top right of the picture you previously posted.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:27:20 pm »
I don't think you have the right bits for the handlebar post. I believe they may be from this type of handlebar post, where the lever is incorporated into the hinge pivot.
Your's seems to have the locking lever on the opposite side to the pivot.

ETA. Can you take another picture of the side view of the locking arm... From the top right of the picture you previously posted.

No, it's not one of those, the lever is completely different, more like the one in this pic

http://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927/Products/DAHFRAMLSPEED

but the other side from the one you post.  I'll try and take a couple of pics tomorrow in various angles

ElyDave

« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2017, 03:28:07 pm »
More detail on the handlebar joint

Gave it a good clean with a rag soaked in Muc-Off, and the frame has come up all right apart from quite a few stone chips and the areas where the catches have rubbed

Cassette cleaned up OK without needing to try and remove the freewheel, chainring looks OK as well.  Hub bearing feel very rough though

So minimum needs are 1) cables and v-brake pipes, new brake blocks 2) gear cable and outer - need to look online for SRAM grip shift instructions, 3) dremmel the areas of corrosion, red-lead and a tin of touch up paint for that and the stone chips

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:07:46 pm »
If it's MRX the cable is under the rubber grip just below the top gear position where the rubber widens. Use a new cable.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Vince

« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »
I don't think there is anything missing from the HB joint. If it is loose or wobbly, I suggest you undo the two hex grub screws half a turn to see if that tightens it up.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ElyDave

« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »
I don't think there is anything missing from the HB joint. If it is loose or wobbly, I suggest you undo the two hex grub screws half a turn to see if that tightens it up.

You don't think there should be a latching mechanism in there?

Vince

« Reply #10 on: 26 February, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »
No. The latching mechanism is external. The steel lever pulls the alloy catch over the handle bar upper bit that has the two screws. Undoing the screws will apply more tension in the catch.
Hope that makes sense.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ElyDave

« Reply #11 on: 26 February, 2017, 06:42:21 pm »
Quite oddly, it does make sense having now done exactly that, screwed those in a bit and all wobble is extinguished.

Has shown the spring up as a bit weak though.  May chuck a bit of WD40 or 3-in-1 at it tomorrow.

I'm only imagining that the refurb kit I saw is for an entirely different set up, but uses the same external lever and safety catch.

Thanks

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:40:00 pm »
This is now looking much better than I expected. Stepping back and thinking it doesn't need to be perfect, its cleaned up fairly well with some scratched areas of paintwork and some corroded paint chips. Mechanically sound.

So, today, a bit of dremmel work back to bare metal on the corroded areas and a bit of toothbrush work on the nooks and crannies, plus some future touch up paint will do the trick. Its a slightly off white pearlescent paint.  I think the latches will polish up OK.

Freewheel is in good nick after liberal application of 3 in 1.

New brake and gear cables, new brake blocks, and a new saddle are all that's needed, and a check on shifting. I already had the outers in my bits box.

Quite satisfying really.