Author Topic: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT  (Read 77421 times)

Re: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT
« Reply #25 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:31:35 pm »
The main thing that still bugs me a little is that the maps are *very* basic (and small, not surprising considering the unit's size), with no street names displayed, even at max zoom (which only goes as close as 200ft, would be nicer to be able to go closer for tricky turns) and once you zoom out further than 1000 ft are pretty useless in terms of seeing anything helpful, which combined with the lack of being able to pan around the maps really does make the maps *only* really suitable for following existing routes (preferably with Turn by Turn directions - though at least such routes are easy to get onto the device), rather than getting a general sense of orientation and checking what's around you. The lack of colour on the maps also makes differentiating types of roads and tracks difficult.

This is a bit of an issue for me, as the main thing I want a GPS unit on my bike for is navigation - I'm not a competitive cyclist, and don't really need any "training" features (though some basic stats are nice, as is the ease of uploading my rides to Strava and RideWithGPS), but I *do* want to be able to navigate when cycle touring, both for single day 50 mile+ outings, as well as much longer extend touring trips in the UK and abroad. The TBT route display is good, but I think the Bolt is only going to be up to the job if I also regularly check the map on my phone to get a better sense of orientation.

I've been using an Elemnt (non-Bolt) for the last few months and at first I thought I was going to find the maps inadequate, but in practice they've been fine for navigation. My biggest annoyance is that if you get too far off course, the Elemnt can stop displaying the route entirely - something has been overly optimised to keep everything running smoothly on low-powered hardware, at the expense of usefulness. One thing that I do is have the "distance to next cue" visible on one of my data pages and then switch to the map page (zoomed in fairly closely) as needed.

I used RideWithGPS for all of my mapping because that's what Audax Oz have standardised on, and it integrates beautifully with the Elemnt.

I just tried out my Bolt with RideWithGPS today (also the first time I've used RideWithGPS!), the integration does indeed work very well. Ride with GPS seems to generate pretty sensible automatic routes (more so than Komoots or the Companion app) and the Turn By Turn directions are clear and helpful. One issue I did experience, which I didn't notice so much with the TBT directions I got from Komoot is that the distance to turn notifications seem a bit behind of my location, by this I mean I was actually at the point where I needed to turn when the TBT directions from RWGPS seemed to think I was still 40 to 50 feet away, so twice I actually missed the turn, though of course the Elemnt beeped at me and flashed red, so I knew that this had happened and could turn back. is there a way to tweak the RWGPS settings somehow to make the distance to turn notification more accurate? I was in open ground in Oxford, so assume the GPS signal was fine.

When I rejoined the route, the Bolt flashed green LEDs at me to confirm I was back on it, then all was good again

I wish you could create a RWGPS route in the smartphone app (or at least in a more mobile-optimised website), like Komoot, so that I could generate a route using it whilst on a tour.

I’m enjoying mine - everything has worked fine so far - it’s nice to have something compact on the bars for a change. The buttons are great - positive and light even with gloves - the side ones a million times better than the original. Sound is very loud - ideal for the hard of hearing! The only disappointment is that the led’s are not that visible in sunlight.
Interestingly, that's the opposite of my experience with the original Elemnt: sound is not loud enough but the LEDs are plenty bright, even in direct Australian summer sunlight.

I read that they made the beep much louder on the Bolt, I think the volume is just about right. The LEDs are okay, though sometimes a bit hard to see when very bright.

I actually wish the screen was a little bigger on the Bolt, perfect for me would probably be something with a screen in between that of the Bolt and original Elemnt (2.4"?), but with the form factor, new buttons and loud beep of the Bolt...

I also wish there was an option (which you could turn on or off) for the Elemnt to automatically switch to map mode (and back afterwards) when approaching a turn - I'd like this for some routes, but not others.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:15:51 pm »
One issue I did experience, which I didn't notice so much with the TBT directions I got from Komoot is that the distance to turn notifications seem a bit behind of my location, by this I mean I was actually at the point where I needed to turn when the TBT directions from RWGPS seemed to think I was still 40 to 50 feet away, so twice I actually missed the turn, though of course the Elemnt beeped at me and flashed red, so I knew that this had happened and could turn back. is there a way to tweak the RWGPS settings somehow to make the distance to turn notification more accurate? I was in open ground in Oxford, so assume the GPS signal was fine.

I had a similar experience the other day, which I wrote off as a once-off, possibly from a dodgy route (since the route I was riding was one I was sent from a friend). I've never had this problem previously, and haven't used the TBT routing since. Perhaps this is a new "feature" introduced with the latest software update?

I also wish there was an option (which you could turn on or off) for the Elemnt to automatically switch to map mode (and back afterwards) when approaching a turn - I'd like this for some routes, but not others.

Yeah, I've wished for this too. Garmins can do it...

« Reply #27 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:50:48 pm »
There is a very active discussion group at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wahoo-elemnt-users

Feature requests can be logged. Wahoo themselves monitor and occasionally respond.

« Reply #28 on: 07 April, 2017, 10:01:19 pm »
It’s been interesting to read about all these new devices that have come along since I last looked at this (I’m still on an Etrex HCx). At first I wasn’t too sure about this tend towards “device with minimal maps + phone” set-ups but I am coming round to the idea.

One thing I’d like to be able to do is to create and ride a new route while already out on a ride. I am aware that some of the Lezynes can do this - create a route using Google maps or OSM based app, send it to the device, and ride it complete with TBT directions. Is the Bolt able to do this?

Aside from that issue, another important thing is to be able to reroute if I was to go off route. Even the HCx can make a fair stab at this. Can I do this with a Bolt or would I need to create a new route to, let’s say, a previous waypoint? (And that, of course, would bring me back to my question above).

« Reply #29 on: 08 April, 2017, 08:04:38 am »
It’s been interesting to read about all these new devices that have come along since I last looked at this (I’m still on an Etrex HCx). At first I wasn’t too sure about this tend towards “device with minimal maps + phone” set-ups but I am coming round to the idea.

One thing I’d like to be able to do is to create and ride a new route while already out on a ride. I am aware that some of the Lezynes can do this - create a route using Google maps or OSM based app, send it to the device, and ride it complete with TBT directions. Is the Bolt able to do this?

Yes, you can either do this with the Elemnt companion app (though the routes that provides don't seem to give turn by turn directions), or you can create a route in the Komoot app (which does give Turn by Turn directions): https://www.komoot.com/

So you can use the Bolt Sat Nav style, if you want

You can even do the routing in Komoot without a 3G signal, if you have downloaded the offline maps, though these are not free.

It's a pity you can't create routes in the RideWithGPS app, as I think the automatic routing is better in the RideWithGPS than Komoot, from my (relatively limited experience) - you can send RWGPS routes to the Bolt whilst on the go, but you can't create them - they have to be routes you've created previously on their web application (which is not mobile optimised)

Aside from that issue, another important thing is to be able to reroute if I was to go off route. Even the HCx can make a fair stab at this. Can I do this with a Bolt or would I need to create a new route to, let’s say, a previous waypoint? (And that, of course, would bring me back to my question above).

The Bolt itself has no re-routing, but it will alert you if you go off route and confirm if you manage to rejoin the route. You can always create a new route in the companion app or Komoot, though

« Reply #30 on: 09 April, 2017, 06:38:31 pm »
Thanks very much for that, Oxford_Guy. Having gone through the rest of your posts, I remain tempted to ditch Garmin next time around, for the same reasons as you have mentioned earlier. Do please continue to share any new findings.

When you create a route using RWGPS or Komoot on your home computer, how are you getting that to your device? Do you just bung it in Dropbox or similar and get it from there on your device, or do you Bluetooth it?

« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2017, 06:40:34 pm »
They've been flying out of the shops...

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 09 April, 2017, 07:06:16 pm »
I created a route in BestBikeSplit and sign the device in using my phone. Then the route appears as if by magic.

« Reply #33 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:52:45 pm »
When you create a route using RWGPS or Komoot on your home computer, how are you getting that to your device? Do you just bung it in Dropbox or similar and get it from there on your device, or do you Bluetooth it?

When you create a route on the RWGPS web site, the RWGPS app on your phone will sync with it and it will apear like magic! You can then, optionally, download the relevant maps for the route to your phone (either at home via WiFi) or out and about using 3/4G. Of course would recommend the former.

« Reply #34 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:58:41 pm »
One issue I did experience, which I didn't notice so much with the TBT directions I got from Komoot is that the distance to turn notifications seem a bit behind of my location, by this I mean I was actually at the point where I needed to turn when the TBT directions from RWGPS seemed to think I was still 40 to 50 feet away, so twice I actually missed the turn, though of course the Elemnt beeped at me and flashed red, so I knew that this had happened and could turn back. is there a way to tweak the RWGPS settings somehow to make the distance to turn notification more accurate? I was in open ground in Oxford, so assume the GPS signal was fine.

I had a similar experience the other day, which I wrote off as a once-off, possibly from a dodgy route (since the route I was riding was one I was sent from a friend). I've never had this problem previously, and haven't used the TBT routing since. Perhaps this is a new "feature" introduced with the latest software update?

In the RWGPS app you can alter the Alert Distance from 'Normal' to 'Early' in Settings. There's also 'Advance cue warning' which will give you the next cue just after executing the current one (I turned this off as I found it too distracting/confusing). Should point out this is all just using the RWGPS app on my phone, I don't know how/if this translates into what the Bolt does.

« Reply #35 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:07:33 am »

When you create a route on the RWGPS web site, the RWGPS app on your phone will sync with it and it will apear like magic! You can then, optionally, download the relevant maps for the route to your phone (either at home via WiFi) or out and about using 3/4G. Of course would recommend the former.

The maps are already on the Bolt, when you sync a route to it from the companion app when away from home, it just sends it via Bluetooth, 3G not needed AFAIK

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #36 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:07:22 am »

In the RWGPS app you can alter the Alert Distance from 'Normal' to 'Early' in Settings. There's also 'Advance cue warning' which will give you the next cue just after executing the current one (I turned this off as I found it too distracting/confusing). Should point out this is all just using the RWGPS app on my phone, I don't know how/if this translates into what the Bolt does.

Hi igauk, I think you might be confusing navigation with the RideWithGPS app on a phone vs navigation using the Wahoo Elemnt/BOLT, a standalone GPS unit. The RWGPS app settings don't apply here and you don't even need to have the app installed to sync RWGPS routes to the Wahoo unit. The Wahoo Elemnt will download the routes itself, either via wifi (at home) or using Bluetooth to your phone (out on the road). Maps from OpenStreetMap are preinstalled on the unit.

The Elemnt bleeps and displays a "metres to next cue" field at the bottom of the screen, starting from ~ 250m before the turn. The problem that Oxford_Guy and I have noticed is that this field is slightly off, maybe by 20 metres, so it's easy to overshoot the turn if you're in an area dense with intersections. (The map screen displays everything correctly, fortunately.) I only started noticing this problem very recently and I hope it's fixed soon ... might even happen without a firmware update, because I think a lot of the "magic" for RWGPS route syncing actually takes place on Wahoo's servers.

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:04:24 am »
First impressions are very good. Running the backlight on at night also seems to not drain the battery too badly. I rode with external power for a while and had no issues there.

« Reply #38 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:17:25 pm »
Hello,

I have talked to a few riders about this on Audax rides and they recommend it.  So I have order a ELEMNT (not bolt ) with bigger screen.  I normally charge my Garmin using the firing when in controls

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BDBXFVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anybody recommend a similar device with a micro USB for the ELEMNT?

Joolz

« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:47:06 pm »

Hi igauk, I think you might be confusing navigation with the RideWithGPS app on a phone vs navigation using the Wahoo Elemnt/BOLT, a standalone GPS unit. The RWGPS app settings don't apply here and you don't even need to have the app installed to sync RWGPS routes to the Wahoo unit. The Wahoo Elemnt will download the routes itself, either via wifi (at home) or using Bluetooth to your phone (out on the road). Maps from OpenStreetMap are preinstalled on the unit.

The Elemnt bleeps and displays a "metres to next cue" field at the bottom of the screen, starting from ~ 250m before the turn. The problem that Oxford_Guy and I have noticed is that this field is slightly off, maybe by 20 metres, so it's easy to overshoot the turn if you're in an area dense with intersections. (The map screen displays everything correctly, fortunately.) I only started noticing this problem very recently and I hope it's fixed soon ... might even happen without a firmware update, because I think a lot of the "magic" for RWGPS route syncing actually takes place on Wahoo's servers.

Ah, I knew maps were on the Bolt, but didn't know how much of the navigation was being done by what.

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:42:47 am »
Hello,

I have talked to a few riders about this on Audax rides and they recommend it.  So I have order a ELEMNT (not bolt ) with bigger screen.  I normally charge my Garmin using the firing when in controls

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BDBXFVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joolz

I used one of these (or similar model): https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-PowerZen-16750mAh-Portable-Technology/dp/B00FAU7ZB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491903639&sr=1-1&keywords=tecknet+power+pack

Just get the appropriate USB cable. I was able to charge while riding on Yr Elenydd on Saturday using a down micro USB right angle connector (down as opposed to left or right).

I'm going to experiment with using the Igaro D1 with the Elemnt BOLT when I have a chance.

« Reply #41 on: 11 April, 2017, 03:23:35 pm »
Hello,

Joolz

I used one of these (or similar model): https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-PowerZen-16750mAh-Portable-Technology/dp/B00FAU7ZB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491903639&sr=1-1&keywords=tecknet+power+pack

Just get the appropriate USB cable. I was able to charge while riding on Yr Elenydd on Saturday using a down micro USB right angle connector (down as opposed to left or right).

I'm going to experiment with using the Igaro D1 with the Elemnt BOLT when I have a chance.

I've been considering getting an Igaro D1 too, to use with my collection of SON dynamos - would be interested to know how you get on with it and whether it plays nicely with the Bolt without needing another buffer battery

« Reply #42 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »
Simon, thank you.

« Reply #43 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:50:57 pm »
The ELEMNT has arrived and it look fancy.  I will let you hope I get on :-)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #44 on: 13 April, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »
As a Garmin user I am watching enviously the ability to just Route to somewhere you want or use a route from RWGPS without having to use the miserable non mobile friendly Garmin routing... I did stumble across this which I haven't tried yet but would appear to sort of provide similar functionality for Garmin devices (through a long winded ConnectIQ app etc... of course  :facepalm: )

http://dynamic.watch/plan

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #45 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »
Selling out. In stock at Wiggle this morning. Out of stock by the afternoon

« Reply #46 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:35:25 pm »

It was in stock for about 30 seconds.  I got the email alert & by the time I'd clicked through to the page it was OOS already.  Probably one or two returns.

I want one!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #47 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:46:33 pm »
Well, it would have cost me £175,  rather than the £199 rrp, but my Garmin is playing nicely so I'll hold off.

« Reply #48 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:50:24 pm »
It was in stock for about 30 seconds.  I got the email alert & by the time I'd clicked through to the page it was OOS already.  Probably one or two returns.
I want one!

I would hope they weren't returns - that wouldn't be legal … I got mine from Sigma Sport, but they're also out of stock now until the end of the month.

« Reply #49 on: 14 April, 2017, 08:32:05 am »
I when for the original ELEMNT which has a large display and I think this a better option of navigation because it's easier to see.  Well with my aging eyesight 👀.