Author Topic: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT  (Read 77425 times)

Re: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT
« Reply #50 on: 25 May, 2017, 05:13:33 pm »

You can even do the routing in Komoot without a 3G signal, if you have downloaded the offline maps, though these are not free.

How have you managed to do this? I have just paid for offline worldwide maps thinking I would be able to do offline route planning but if I try and generate a route with my wifi and 3g turned off, in an area that I've downloaded for offline use, it just says "You need an internet connection to plan a Tour" in a blue bar at the top of the maps. Not much use to me!

« Reply #51 on: 27 May, 2017, 02:03:00 pm »
Does anyone know the battery capacity (mAh)? of the BOLT? I'm trying to estimate what size battery pack I'll need to recharge it multiple times during LEL.

« Reply #52 on: 30 May, 2017, 05:15:19 pm »

You can even do the routing in Komoot without a 3G signal, if you have downloaded the offline maps, though these are not free.

How have you managed to do this? I have just paid for offline worldwide maps thinking I would be able to do offline route planning but if I try and generate a route with my wifi and 3g turned off, in an area that I've downloaded for offline use, it just says "You need an internet connection to plan a Tour" in a blue bar at the top of the maps. Not much use to me!

I've not actually tried with 3G completely turned off, I just assumed it would work - but I can see why it might not, as route calculations are probably performed on their servers for automatic routing, though I don't see why it would need to connect to their servers for manual route planning. Have you tried sending them a support question?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #53 on: 14 September, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »

I've not actually tried with 3G completely turned off, I just assumed it would work - but I can see why it might not, as route calculations are probably performed on their servers for automatic routing, though I don't see why it would need to connect to their servers for manual route planning. Have you tried sending them a support question?

I paid for the premium feature on the basis that I could do it, because of your unambiguous statement that was actually based upon an assumption. Komoot does not support offline routing.

simonp

« Reply #54 on: 14 September, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »
Anyone else tried rides longer than around 330km? Mine got upset.

« Reply #55 on: 16 September, 2017, 07:25:27 pm »
Did a 400 & 600 with mine. 1 bobble on the 2nd day of the 600. Thankfully, you can switch them off, turn them back on again and they attempt to recover the ride you're on.

Know a chap who did the Mille Pennine with one and never switched it off - no problems.

simonp

« Reply #56 on: 16 September, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »
I got it going again but the ride was split in two. It lost the ability to navigate and speed was all over the place.

« Reply #57 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:32:13 pm »
Simon - can you charge the bolt while moving using the fancy out front mount? Or do you have to use a different mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #58 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:38:56 pm »
Simon - can you charge the bolt while moving using the fancy out front mount? Or do you have to use a different mount?

I managed to do this but the mount has to be offset from the stem (I had it on the right) and use a right angled micro USB connector which has to be inserted before rotating the device onto the bracket. There isn't a lot of room even then.

I found that the ambient temperature reading was way too high whilst charging.

Once it got full the battery I was using turned off and it would then discharge for a while until I turned the battery output back on again.

« Reply #59 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:43:29 pm »
Thanks, maybe a more standard out front mount would provide more space? I'm just weighing up options as I'm sick of my garmin 810.   Would you recommend a bolt? Or is the original elemnt better?

simonp

« Reply #60 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:56:28 pm »
Thanks, maybe a more standard out front mount would provide more space? I'm just weighing up options as I'm sick of my garmin 810.   Would you recommend a bolt? Or is the original elemnt better?

I haven't used the original Elemnt. I had only the one issue on my 400k ECE as mentioned above. This was the first time I'd used it to navigate. Generally turn by turn navigation worked really well and it warned me quickly when I was off-route.

The original device might work a little better for charging given the different location of the charge port. The screen is a bit bigger which could be an advantage depending on eyesight. Despite the black and white screen, I found it fine for following a route, due to the way that the route is rendered, and it used the LEDs to good effect to indicate turns. I had the Garmin Etrex 30 along as a backup. However, I didn't need it. Using the phone to configure is a lot easier than trying to navigate the menus on a Garmin. Routes automatically syncing to the device from RideWithGPS is another useful feature.

« Reply #61 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:01:58 pm »
Just got a bolt myself and it was so easy to set it all up via my iphone and a lot quicker too. picked up 3 sensors really quickly too and just uploading your ride automatically at the end is lovely. It going to be really useful to upload club rides on the fly so no need to fret about loading up the wrong route any more.

Will be testing it out for real on Upper Thames Audax. I'll be charging it in a cafe stop half way through. Anyone had any experience of this? would it be ok to switch it off, and turn it back on after finishing my Full English breakfast of championsTM?

« Reply #62 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:07:02 pm »
I'll be charging it in a cafe stop half way through.

Shouldn't really need to charge half way through a 200 (unless you are riding to/from the start and you live a long way away).  I have regularly got 16+ hours with all functions on including backlight.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #63 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:08:20 pm »
I'll be charging it in a cafe stop half way through.

Shouldn't really need to charge half way through a 200 (unless you are riding to/from the start and you live a long way away).  I have regularly got 16+ hours with all functions on including backlight.

Ooo nice!! I’ll leave it running then :) (still will bring power pack and lead though)

« Reply #64 on: 06 November, 2017, 12:27:18 pm »
So Upper Thames was a fantastic route to thoroughly test this wonderful bolt out!

1)   Survived standing water splashes – let me give you an idea of how bad the standing water was – my OWN car was aquaplaning through them to the start! So that’s a great start
2)   Survived a head on collision with a car – not even a scratch.
3)   A simple switch off and on again allowed me to recover the ride perfectly 3 times. I did have to re-load the route but that’s fine
4)   I still had 40% after 11.5 hours of use with 1 and half hour use of backlight for the last bit of riding.
5)   Back light and the sharp b&w screen makes looking at it a doddle in the dark. I hate HATED the garmin 810 methods for night time riding. So much better
6)   I have 6 sensors saved on the bolt so no matter which bike I use, I don’t have to re-pair it with the sensors on the bike I choose to ride on the day. I couldn’t do this for the garmin 810.

It just fucking works! Love it. Best £175 spent ever!

Samuel D

« Reply #65 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:50:02 am »
How does the altimeter perform in this? Does it give sensible climbing figures for your stated definition of sensible?

« Reply #66 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:55:13 am »
How does the altimeter perform in this? Does it give sensible climbing figures for your stated definition of sensible?

I don’t know much about the altimeter right now. I haven’t really climbed that much. I do know that my Upper Thames audax 200km ride registered a total of 6,007ft climbed and this seem to be wildly out of sync with two people I rode with for short time on the same ride, One did 2,500ft and another did 3,500ft. So that is a very wtf. However other people that were on the route seems to be closer to my total than theirs.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #67 on: 09 November, 2017, 11:01:35 am »
The Upper Thames was the last time HK's Etrex 35 functioned at all. The Etrex 35 is less than a week outside the one year guarantee and HK is going into battle with Garmin for a replacement but I have lost interest in the whole affair. After five Garmins of various types, the majority of which have been unreliable or failed (other than the HCx), it looks like we'll be getting at least one Wahoo Elemnt (not Bolt).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #68 on: 09 November, 2017, 11:06:19 am »

I don’t know much about the altimeter right now. I haven’t really climbed that much. I do know that my Upper Thames audax 200km ride registered a total of 6,007ft climbed and this seem to be wildly out of sync with two people I rode with for short time on the same ride, One did 2,500ft and another did 3,500ft. So that is a very wtf. However other people that were on the route seems to be closer to my total than theirs.

I have 6029ft for Saturday so I'd say yours is about right and your friends' are wildly out. 

Another useful feature of the Bolt is the "hills" page, which shows you where you are on the elevation profile of a pre-installed route.  Handy to know how much further of the ***ing hill there is to come.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #69 on: 09 November, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »
That looks like a feet/metres mismatch to me.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #70 on: 09 November, 2017, 06:13:32 pm »
What did you do about night riding?

I rode an audax last week using an org supplied go that had no TBT. Therefore the backlight did not come on at turns. In the end I just set the backlight to be on permanently. I only gas about 90 minutes of riding left of the 200k and 52% charge so I wasn't overly concerned about the power running out

« Reply #71 on: 09 November, 2017, 06:36:34 pm »
I leave the backlight on permanently and still get 16 hrs +.  I'll probably only turn it off in daylight when doing 300k or over.  I think it's a newer technology than Garmin and uses a lot less battery power - more akin to a Kindle.

Samuel D

« Reply #72 on: 09 November, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
On the Wahoo site it talks about “Take Me Anywhere Route Generation”, saying this:

“Using the ELEMNT Companion App, enter a destination, address, or point of interest and to generate a route optimized for cycling, complete with turn-by-turn navigation cues on demand, and send the route to the ELEMNT via Bluetooth.”

Does that work in practice? How easy is it to, say, look up the nearest branch of your bank (whether in Google Maps or in the Wahoo software directly), and then program the computer to head to that address?

« Reply #73 on: 12 November, 2017, 08:47:58 pm »
What did you do about night riding?

I rode an audax last week using an org supplied go that had no TBT. Therefore the backlight did not come on at turns. In the end I just set the backlight to be on permanently. I only gas about 90 minutes of riding left of the 200k and 52% charge so I wasn't overly concerned about the power running out

Turned on backlight to on perm. Really easy to do on the move too!

« Reply #74 on: 13 November, 2017, 01:20:17 pm »
It is simple enough to import a gpx file into ride with gps and then generate an output file with TBT .