Author Topic: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT  (Read 77415 times)

Re: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT
« Reply #75 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:51:00 pm »
It is simple enough to import a gpx file into ride with gps and then generate an output file with TBT .

Can you explain how? All imported routes I've tried output without TBT (but it's easy enough to follow the breadcrumb). Only a route generated within RideWithGPS itself appears to have TBT.

« Reply #76 on: 15 November, 2017, 11:22:37 am »
How do I tell the app to stop notifying me to charge my wahoo elemnt up? I am a well-seasoned audaxer,  I fully know when it needs charging or not. Annoyingly there doesn’t seem to be an option to stop this specific one. It’s either I stop ALL notifications or receive them all.

« Reply #77 on: 15 November, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
Import the gpx file, add control points before and after each turn and snap the route back onto the road by dragging it. I found this on the RWGPS site under “generate tbt directions for an uploaded ride”.
Martyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #78 on: 10 December, 2017, 11:54:07 am »
On the Wahoo site it talks about “Take Me Anywhere Route Generation”, saying this:

“Using the ELEMNT Companion App, enter a destination, address, or point of interest and to generate a route optimized for cycling, complete with turn-by-turn navigation cues on demand, and send the route to the ELEMNT via Bluetooth.”

Does that work in practice? How easy is it to, say, look up the nearest branch of your bank (whether in Google Maps or in the Wahoo software directly), and then program the computer to head to that address?

For values of work. I don't know what it uses for routing data, but it's not as good as if you try to generate a route via strava and upload it. It also seems to not have any live info regarding road closures, even tho google maps does know that certain roads are closed for construction. This lead me through a rather creative tour of a construction site yesterday.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #79 on: 02 April, 2018, 07:07:46 pm »
So has anybody successfully charged a Bolt on the go?

simonp

« Reply #80 on: 02 April, 2018, 07:26:34 pm »
Yes. Did so on an ECE to 400k last year.

« Reply #81 on: 02 April, 2018, 07:27:45 pm »
Saw that...but you had problems didn't you?

simonp

« Reply #82 on: 02 April, 2018, 07:49:57 pm »
Saw that...but you had problems didn't you?

IIRC, the charging wasn't the biggest issue. I was using an external battery and I'd top off the Bolt from the battery, which would then power down when the Bolt was full. So you have to restart the charging once the level was down a bit. A minor faff.

I had the Bolt crash on the way back, as I headed through Gloucester and it messed up my track log a bit. I had to faff around for a bit to get it working again, stopping recording and power cycling, this wasn't helped by my not spotting a routing issue which would have had me heading down the A38 where it's 70mph dual carriageway (the route being pre-calculated). The crash was one of those ones where it was giving crazy speeds and complaining about being off route when it wasn't. To be fair from Gloucester home is something I could navigate easily without a gps but I was using gpx validation so wanted to have it recording properly. I think I ended up with two tracks which I joined after the event.

Only other thing I can remember is the temperature recorded was inaccurate when charging.

« Reply #83 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:00:51 pm »
On the last few rides I've been having problems with the Bolt losing GPS signal, both when following a pre-loaded route and when just recording a ride.  Usually happens after about 3 hours into the ride.  If following a route then the first sign is getting the warning beeps and flashing LED's indicating you've gone off course even when you know you haven't.  Then the map page starts not refreshing correctly and eventually freezes.

No other electronics on the bike that could cause interference and happens on completely open ground with no signal-blocking features.  The resulting track files clearly show where the device starts losing signal and the straight-line freezes.

For the first 10 months it was faultless - this is a recent occurrence. I've opened a ticket with Wahoo so will wait to see what happens.  Luckily still a few weeks within warranty!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #84 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:16:47 pm »
This is a long standing issue that has affected a lot of units if the forum is anything to go by. It's affected my long rides, and I also get ridiculous speeds of 400mph showing! I logged it with Wahoo and they asked for access to files and I then heard nothing more. Wahoo claimed to have fixed it in the last firmware update, but feedback is showing they've fudged it by deprecating the gps accuracy hugely, and the issue still remains. That said I did a 5 hour ride at the weekend with no issues. I have to say their ability to fix long standing bugs, even minor ones, is turning out to be no better than Gamin's. My unit is still afflicted with the mixed units randomly resetting from miles to kilometres, even when riding, which again has been going on forever and drives me nuts.

« Reply #85 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:38:53 pm »
Ah, so it's not just me then.  The fact it has only started happening recently makes me wonder if it's the result of a recent firmware update, or perhaps physical fatigue of some sort?  As I say it performed faultlessly for 10 months.

« Reply #86 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:18:30 pm »
I would log a fault with Wahoo - the more people log this fault, the better.

« Reply #87 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:38:19 pm »
I would log a fault with Wahoo - the more people log this fault, the better.

Yep - have done and sent them the relevant tracks.

« Reply #88 on: 24 April, 2018, 10:45:09 am »
I can't guarantee that this is the solution for the losing GPS problem, however on a 200k when this started to happen as soon as I plugged in an external battery pack the problem stopped. Since then on any rides longer than 100k I use an external pack and the problem has not re-occurred.

« Reply #89 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:54:19 am »
Interesting.  I really don't want to have to start fiddling about with battery packs though.  My main reason for choosing the Bolt was its battery life. Battery level was still showing as 62% at the end of the ride so shouldn't have been an issue. 

I'll wait and hear back from Wahoo & decide what to do.

« Reply #90 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »
Ah I had this problem on my oasts and coasts ride. The fly by in strava clearly shows when my Wahoo dropped the GPS signal. I’ll log it then.

« Reply #91 on: 25 April, 2018, 01:26:39 pm »
Received this from Stephen at Wahoo today.  I'm quite reassured that it's  personalised and detailed reply, not the common standard fob-off.  Others here may wish to send in logs.

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you have recently had issues with your BOLT.

There are several elements that could be causing the different issues you have found. The first issue, starting around the 58.2 mile mark, could well be to GPS drift. This is a normal occurrence and sometimes can be more pronounced than others causing your BOLT to think you are off route. I had the same issue myself this weekend but it isn't something I see regularly. My arrow was tracking parallel to the course and road and flashed to let me know I was off route. This sorted itself out relatively quickly and got me straight back on course. GPS drift is attributed to the information being sent to devices from the satellites.

As for the drop outs you are seeing, this is an issue we have encountered with the latest firmware the BOLT/ELEMNT computers are on. I have raised a ticket with our developers who are actively working on a fix. Though we do not currently have an exact delivery date, the problem is a priority on our road map for future app and firmware revisions.

The straight line you see in your file will be down to full GPS drop out and the BOLT unit not receiving any information from satellites. In your case, with your route being completely overground with no obstructions, is something that the developers will be looking in to.

Since we have an open ticket with our development team, all customer service tickets related to the issue (including this one) will be marked as “On-Hold” and merged with the developer ticket to be monitored internally. This process allows us to send automatic notifications when changes are complete. Full release notes are posted on https://support.wahoofitness.com. Be sure to keep your app and device up-to-date to receive the fix, when available.

I have sent the developers the two files you sent me so that they have the full details from the GPS files.

I apologise for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and support as we strive to serve you better and get this issue solved.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the meantime.

Again, thank you for your patience and hopefully this will be solved relatively quickly. If you happen to do anymore rides going forward and the same thing happens, please send me the logs from these and also the file of the ride either downloaded from your device or the companion app. Below are instructions on how to provide the logs if you ever recreate the GPS issue

-Make sure your firmware is up to date
-Recreate the issue
-Note the exact date and time the issue occurs
-Navigate to the main menu page of your computer and select "Send Logs"

In order to send these logs over, please make sure that your computer is within Wifi range. Please let me know when you have completed this. Be sure to include the time in date the issue occurred in your response.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #92 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:48:44 am »
"GPS drift"  ::-)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Wahoo Elemnt BOLT
« Reply #93 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:43:19 am »
"GPS drift"  ::-)

It’s a real thing and probably explains the dropped part of the ride which is also said to be something Wahoo is  working on.

Samuel D

« Reply #94 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:44:53 am »
I think it’s the device that does the drifting, not the satellites. My Garmin Edge 520 often does this after a few hours, showing me riding parallel to the road but (for example) 50 metres off to one side. The last time it did this I pulled out my phone that receives information from the same satellites. It showed me on the road.

« Reply #95 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:52:27 am »
Do your Garmin and your phone use the same mapping system?

I think one might be vector, and the other raster

« Reply #96 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:15:28 am »
That's a comprehensive reply from Wahoo - nothing like the standard brush off I got. I'm puzzled by Navigate to the main menu page of your computer and select "Send Logs"

Does he mean the Bolt, because I don't see anything like that. I don't understand that process at all.

Samuel D

« Reply #97 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:18:37 am »
Pretty sure all the maps are vector-based. However, they’re different maps and might have slightly different road positions. All the same, if I restart the Garmin it puts me back on the road.

My eTrex 20 doesn’t suffer from this drift and is a superior navigation device to any Edge for many other reasons. However, it’s bulky and the mounts are crude and ugly (relying on cable ties!). But for long rides into unknown territory, I have not come across a better alternative.

« Reply #98 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:42:25 am »
That's a comprehensive reply from Wahoo - nothing like the standard brush off I got. I'm puzzled by Navigate to the main menu page of your computer and select "Send Logs"

Does he mean the Bolt, because I don't see anything like that. I don't understand that process at all.
Wahoo have to set up Verbose Logging from their end on your unit to enable it to send logs which is why it doesn't show normally on the Elemnt.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #99 on: 26 April, 2018, 02:20:07 pm »
I think it’s the device that does the drifting, not the satellites.

Just so.  Hence the rolled eyes.

I've only seen it twice, in 12 years of GPS usage.  Once was on an OSM map.  With no other form of reference but OSM, if your GPS track is displaced from but parallel to a wiggly road - who knows which is right?  "OSM drift"  ::-)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll