Author Topic: First 300 achieved  (Read 2841 times)

Phil W

First 300 achieved
« on: 01 April, 2017, 07:20:36 pm »
Four months in I've completed my first 300 laid back ride at 323.7km.  No leg ache today either so I think my legs must be getting there.

A few pics.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=323374011399038&id=100011793247162

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: First 300 achieved
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »
Well done, considering you've not been riding a bent very long.  Good going on a Fuego too.

What were the ride stats - elevation, av spd etc?

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2017, 09:29:14 pm »
Well done, considering you've not been riding a bent very long.  Good going on a Fuego too.

What were the ride stats - elevation, av spd etc?

Haven't loaded any data yet. Roughly just over 13 hours ride time and just under 15 hours elapsed.

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2017, 09:37:47 pm »
 :thumbsup: Good going there Phil.

I've not yet rode anything more than a 200 on any bike myself yet. Today though I did ride 55 miles to Lochgoilhead and back on the bent straight after finishing a night shift. I did wonder while on the return leg whether riding while so tired was a fair comparison of how the final quarter of a 400 would feel.

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2017, 11:52:51 am »
That's good going Phil.
Puts me to shame at the moment, for sure.
Got your sights set of something bigger in the future?
Garry Broad

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2017, 12:51:49 pm »
That's good going Phil.
Puts me to shame at the moment, for sure.
Got your sights set of something bigger in the future?

Celtic Knot 1000 in June all going well. Got 400,300,600,400 planned before then.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »
:thumbsup: Good going there Phil.

I've not yet rode anything more than a 200 on any bike myself yet. Today though I did ride 55 miles to Lochgoilhead and back on the bent straight after finishing a night shift. I did wonder while on the return leg whether riding while so tired was a fair comparison of how the final quarter of a 400 would feel.

On the longer rides it tends to be if you've messed up hydration or underfueled earlier on that mostly affects your speed in the later parts of the rides. Nigel had to pack yesterday as he was nauseous and feeling weak later on in the headwinds.  Tiredness tends to be if I haven't had good sleep in the week before the ride. No dozies this time, which is unusual as I normally get them in the hour or so before dawn.

Pace longer rides at lower intensity / speed and you'll find your elapsed is not so different (to higher pace, longer stops)  as you don't need to eat as much or as often. Plus it reduces the chance of stomach issues, least that's what I've found.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2017, 02:34:17 pm »
Good going Phil, still only up to the 100 for me.  I'll be on the look out for a 200 this summer, but Aril and May are a bit of washout with work - despite all the bank holidays where I seem to be travelling.  Might have to make it a DIY/Perm attempt when I claw back a lost bank holiday
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2017, 02:41:44 pm »
Good going Phil, still only up to the 100 for me.  I'll be on the look out for a 200 this summer, but Aril and May are a bit of washout with work - despite all the bank holidays where I seem to be travelling.  Might have to make it a DIY/Perm attempt when I claw back a lost bank holiday

You might want to lookout for the 200 from the Mildenhall Rally. Usually August bank holiday.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2017, 06:34:52 pm »
yes, did that one last year as my first 200 on the upwrong.

Nice ride and very local to me.  Not sure if that is when I'm on holiday this year though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:05:18 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Good going - I'm in the early stage of this recumbent malarkey and still getting used to the different style of riding.  My longest recumbent ride so far is 50 miles, so I should be able to try a 100k once I'm a bit more acclimatised to the different handling and therefore safer in a group.  I've done distances up to 400k on an upright, and it became quite painful at various contact points and shoulder / lower back, even on a Moulton with front / rear suspension.  So it would be reasonable to expect that the comfort of a recumbent would be well suited to the longer distances.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »
I think the main issue with riding a recumbent in a group is dealing with other people's unfamiliarity with how your handling differs, rather than your own.  Expect muggles to be spooked by your boom pointing towards them as you go around a sharp corner, for example.  They'll also tend to lurk in your blind spots, so avoid hard braking unless you're sure there isn't someone behind you.  There's always someone who doesn't know to get out of the way of recumbents (and tandems) on descents, particularly when you want to carry the momentum back up the other side, but that's more of an irritation than a hazard.

Competence at emergency stops and subsequent re-starts will avoid embarrassment.  :)

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:48:10 pm »
Your legs will ache for your first few long rides but that'll pass as you get more rides in.

Kim is right don't apologise for zooming off the front downhill to maximise momentum up the other side. Riders on road bikes can cut across you too soon as well. I think they see your head and equate that as being near the front of the bike, when clearly you've got your legs out in front of you. A robust shout will stop that if you're riding with them.

If I'm going to ride with a group I usually explain some of the things to watch out for that they might not have thought of.  On audaxes I usually let everyone head off first and start at the back. The silly riding if often in the first few mins of getting going.

I've got the Easter Arrow 400 this weekend. We are a recumbent, fixed, tandem, geared road bike. A team event. We all know each other, so should be fun, but we'll still have the pre ride chat about the different characteristics involved with each bike.

Yes I'm finding my recumbent a great long distance ride. I'm also finding in the more stretched out riding position that digestion has not been an issue so far and I can ride further between feeds (than on my road bike). As for lack of pressure points, a delight.

Good luck with your first 100. Don't leave it too long. You won't find it too hard, having done up to 400 on your road bike.

As for handling. Now I'm just relaxed back in the seat with a light hand and don't even think about it, the stability is rock solid.  Riding one handed is now easy.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:55:35 pm »
yes, did that one last year as my first 200 on the upwrong.

Nice ride and very local to me.  Not sure if that is when I'm on holiday this year though.

Nick Wilkinson has some good perms out of Cambridge if you can't find a calendar event to suit.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:11:16 am »
Well done!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight