Author Topic: Frequency of micturition  (Read 2083 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Frequency of micturition
« on: 06 May, 2017, 07:51:39 pm »
It seems to happen every year now when I start getting into the long rides: somewhere in the middle of nowhere I feel a sudden urge to pee. I find the nearest suitable spot but very little comes.  Five miles later the urge strikes again, and repeat to the end of the ride.  :'(

What are the possible causes, and what can I do about them?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

LMT

Re: Frequency of micturition
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2017, 07:56:47 pm »
Could be a set up issue with your saddle? Over the course of a long ride pressure applied to certain body parts makes you want to go?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »
Urinary infection?
Bruised, irritable urethra?
Mild thrush?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
i've noticed this when i used to take caffeine (coffee, energy gels etc) on long rides; all is normal with the absence of caffeine. could this be the reason?

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:54:44 am »
Could be a set up issue with your saddle? Over the course of a long ride pressure applied to certain body parts makes you want to go?
+1

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2017, 12:55:19 pm »
It seems to happen every year now when I start getting into the long rides: somewhere in the middle of nowhere I feel a sudden urge to pee. I find the nearest suitable spot but very little comes.  Five miles later the urge strikes again, and repeat to the end of the ride.  :'(

What are the possible causes, and what can I do about them?
This would be, for me, will be the start of cystitis. Your bladder is overacting, this can be due to a number of irritants.

I have diverticula in my bladder which are therefore prone to infection and I get cystitis symptoms before there are enough causal organisms to show in a test.

1) drink more- how much are you drinking now? How hard are you pushing? How much are you sweating? Never ignore thirst, but don't drink obsessively, that won't help at all
2) avoid caffeine, alcohol, highly acidic or very sweet drinks, especially when exercising
3) don't always pee when you think you need to go. (I know! but trust me, this is necessary)
4) check you're not doing anything that might trigger urethritis - personal hygiene, clean shorts, saddle angle, perineal pressure

I'd also see your GP to rule out anything else.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2017, 03:56:38 pm »
Tension, especially if you're riding with someone and they're waiting, or concealment isn't great.  You clamp up and your bladder stays full.  It gets worse as the trip goes on because you get more and more anxious.  My daughter suffered from this for years on car journeys.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:04:11 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

This is something that happens every so often, riding or not, and usually doesn't last very long. Being on the bike makes it a lot more awkward though. Hydration does seem to play a part, because the worst episodes were all on hot days, and generally what does come seems pretty concentrated. Yesterday's forty miles was particularly silly, since I'd been doing the one meal a day thing to lose weight, and started out on a 20 hour fast.  :facepalm: I needed the first banana after five miles.

Well, lessons learned. I think I've fairly well worked out what foods I can take and when I need to take them. I don't do caffeine of super-sweet at all.

@fboab: It's all right saying "don't always pee when you think you need to" but the signals are confusing and at my age if I wait too long I may be too late. Fortunately that only happened three miles from home.  ::-) 
Jennifer - Walker of hills

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:28:22 pm »
Concentrated urine irritates the bladder more than dilute pee.
You may find larger volumes need less frequent visits. Try drinking more.

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2017, 10:20:28 am »
@fboab: It's all right saying "don't always pee when you think you need to" but the signals are confusing and at my age if I wait too long I may be too late. Fortunately that only happened three miles from home.  ::-)

Welcome to my world. I'm on this for life.

Definitely worth seeing your GP if it's not solely bike-related.