Author Topic: Wahoo Elemnt / Bolt Users  (Read 13589 times)

Re: Wahoo Elemnt / Bolt Users
« Reply #25 on: 22 June, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
That's the thing, I can't turn it off.

It runs in the background. When i isolate it and kill it, it just starts itself back up running in the background.

« Reply #26 on: 25 June, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
Now tested on a 400km Audax. Bloomin great bit of kit! Never missed a beat.

Particularly pleasing as my ride partner's Garmin sh@t itself with 2 miles to go. *facepalm*

The app is still a nuisance. It took 4 hours to sync and upload the ride.

« Reply #27 on: 25 June, 2017, 04:52:02 pm »
Mine has been faultless until its first long ride yesterday - 56 miles and at 46 miles it began dropping the gps signal for minutes at a time, briefly reconnecting and then dropping again over 10 miles or so, when it went back to normal. It gave me straight lines on my Strava route map and several speed spike of 486mph, which messed up my averages rather. This was in open countryside, no rain, and with a GPS accuracy reading, in between disconnects, of 5-10. Others on the Wahoo google forum have seen this behaviour on longer rides. My bolt has also developed a slight rattle in the supplied mount.

I've never had an issue with the app, used it to set the Bolt up and again for a couple of tweeks, it doesn't run in the background for me (Android). My uploads are automatic via wifi as soon as I get home - works perfectly.

« Reply #28 on: 25 June, 2017, 05:01:49 pm »
Is the only difference between the two units the bigger screen of the Element (and price)?

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #29 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:45:26 am »
That's the thing, I can't turn it off.

It runs in the background. When i isolate it and kill it, it just starts itself back up running in the background.
Turning off Bluetooth should prevent it from coming back or otherwise doing things in the background, at least on iPhone. I haven't noticed the app power usage to be that bad, though. The Elemnt runs out of juice long before my phone does.

« Reply #30 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:45:18 pm »
Is the only difference between the two units the bigger screen of the Element (and price)?

Mostly - the software is the same, but you lose one set of led's on the Bolt and have a max display limit of 9 fields v 11 fields. The Bolt screen is brighter, the sound is way, way better (you can actually hear it), as are the buttons which have a positive feedback. I had an Elemnt and returned it because of non-existent sound and terrible buttons, both of which the Bolt addresses.

There is a comparison table on their website.

« Reply #31 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:27:48 pm »
Mine has been faultless until its first long ride yesterday - 56 miles and at 46 miles it began dropping the gps signal for minutes at a time, briefly reconnecting and then dropping again over 10 miles or so, when it went back to normal. It gave me straight lines on my Strava route map and several speed spike of 486mph, which messed up my averages rather. This was in open countryside, no rain, and with a GPS accuracy reading, in between disconnects, of 5-10. Others on the Wahoo google forum have seen this behaviour on longer rides. My bolt has also developed a slight rattle in the supplied mount.

I've never had an issue with the app, used it to set the Bolt up and again for a couple of tweeks, it doesn't run in the background for me (Android). My uploads are automatic via wifi as soon as I get home - works perfectly.

How much charge did you have left on the device. I had this happen on a 200 and as soon as I plugged in an external pack the problem stopped straight away. I think I had about 20 percent or so left.

« Reply #32 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:40:27 pm »
How much charge did you have left on the device. I had this happen on a 200 and as soon as I plugged in an external pack the problem stopped straight away. I think I had about 20 percent or so left.

I've run the battery down to below 10% a couple of times without any erratic behaviour.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #33 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:39:03 pm »

Not sure, but it was 100% when I set off, so it probably was about 50% as I wasn't following a route or had it linked to a phone. It doesn't explain why it eventually corrected itself and I've used it this evening without recharging and without issue. I've put a support request into Wahoo, having noted several others have had the issue on the Wahoo google forum.

« Reply #34 on: 27 June, 2017, 06:41:08 pm »
My ELEMNT App battery chewing issue seems to be solved. I updated the app - actually, i had to uninstall then re-install as the original install had swelled to >4GB!! The new version is only 500mb. So, maybe that was something wrong. - and the problem seems to have gone away.

« Reply #35 on: 02 July, 2017, 06:09:33 pm »
An addendum.

Now that I have started using the app, it has again swelled to over 5GB. Rendering my phone almost useless. The app has no native option of installing itself on the SD card either. So, it requires 1/3 of the capacity of my HTC One (16GB internal). That's not really on, is it?

« Reply #36 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:31:35 pm »
You must have some kind of problem.  Just checked my app storage & Bolt uses 82mb total (72 app itself & 10 data) plus a 10mb cache.  That's after extensive use for 5 weeks and over 2k miles.

« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »
Really odd. Just checked and it's now down to 1.4GB.

And joy of joy's, there seems to be no account of this problem elsewhere in the internetz.

« Reply #38 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
I took delivery of a Elemnt last week to replace my broken Edge 1000.   
I'm afraid to admit that I'm not too happy with it, particularly with the navigation side. 

I was testing it out following a pre planned route on Sunday - navigating stopped about half way round when the route just stopped - it seems the Elemnt didn't have all the route. The full route was shown fine on the App on my phone however and no amout of re loading the route from the app seemed to work.  This is critical to me and falls under 'not fit for purpose' as far as a cycling GPS unit goes.

I also find it difficult to see a pre planned route if you go off course and want to rejoin further along the route.  The breadcrumb arrows only show so far ahead, beyond that the route is displayed in a light grey which is very difficult (impossible?) to pick out on the screen.

The Edge 1000 is not without it's problems,  but I think I'm now going to send the Elemnt back and getting another 1000 instead.
Eddington: 114 Miles

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #39 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:37:01 pm »
I was testing it out following a pre planned route on Sunday - navigating stopped about half way round when the route just stopped - it seems the Elemnt didn't have all the route. The full route was shown fine on the App on my phone however and no amout of re loading the route from the app seemed to work.  This is critical to me and falls under 'not fit for purpose' as far as a cycling GPS unit goes.

It is of course extremely easy to replicate this problem on any Garmin.
It is a stupidity of various apps and software that they fail to acknowledge and allow for the limitations of the various GPS devices that are likely to use their output.  And a stupidity, in the case of some Garmins, that if a file with too many points is input, there is little or no error reporting at that point and instead the GPS just uses the file until it runs out in the middle of nowhere.  Not very intelligent.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #40 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:40:50 pm »
I also find it difficult to see a pre planned route if you go off course and want to rejoin further along the route.  The breadcrumb arrows only show so far ahead, beyond that the route is displayed in a light grey which is very difficult (impossible?) to pick out on the screen.

That is the one weakness I've found on the Bolt so far.  On my ancient Vista HCx you could just zoom out, scroll around and easily see your planned route and work out how to get there.  On the Wahoo if you zoom out too far the route arrows disappear, and there is no option to scroll around the map page - zoom only.  The way I've got around it is to look at my phone, either at a GPX reader or Google maps, and plan accordingly.

Of course the trick is not to go that far off route in the first place  ;)  The Bolt, with it's loud bleeping and flashing LED's, makes that far easier! 

« Reply #41 on: 12 July, 2017, 07:31:08 am »

It is of course extremely easy to replicate this problem on any Garmin.
It is a stupidity of various apps and software that they fail to acknowledge and allow for the limitations of the various GPS devices that are likely to use their output.  And a stupidity, in the case of some Garmins, that if a file with too many points is input, there is little or no error reporting at that point and instead the GPS just uses the file until it runs out in the middle of nowhere.  Not very intelligent.
It was only a 100km route which stopped showing on the device 40ish km in.   I'd be surprised if that was because of too many points.  Never had this trouble before, even with a 600km route. 

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #42 on: 02 September, 2017, 02:47:53 pm »
Never got the Android App issue solved, despite a decent go by the Wahoo team. I have a work-around anyway, no biggy.

I have had a few problems with the unit itself recently. I lost the GPS again last weekend and today It did a full-on freeze during my ride. Happily, both times I reset the device, it recovered the ride data and I carried on the ride from the same point. Nice feature.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #43 on: 29 September, 2017, 05:18:22 am »
So far so good with with my newly purchased Wahoo Elemnt, well except for one little thing.  I went to try out the Take Me To... routing feature in the Wahoo Elemnt app. The result is shown below:

As you can see the app has me riding on water. It appears to be assuming that the Rottnest Island ferry service provides a commuter service here; it does not.

Now when I map a similar route in Google Maps I get a more logical route. You can see the Google Maps route here.

I have raised this with Wahoo Support but curious if others have experienced anything similar or have some suggestions on how to avoid this happening.