Author Topic: Sergeant Pepper  (Read 2998 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Sergeant Pepper
« on: 05 June, 2017, 09:43:28 am »
I was watching the BBC2 Howard Goodall piece on Saturday to mark the 50th anniversary and remembered watching a previous documentary on the album called "It Was 20 Years Ago Today" (geddit?) which was broadcast in 1987  :o  It seems like only about ten years ago.

For what it's worth, my mother, who was a big fan and used to hang around with the Beatles and other bands pof the era at the Cavern Club, never liked the album and thought it was pretty much the beginning of the end.  I tend to agree, although Penny Lane and She's Leaving Home just about redeem it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Sergeant Pepper
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:27:54 am »
It was released on the same day that the Ford-Cosworth DFV made its race debut, trivia fans!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:10:48 pm »
Trivium the second: in the French cover version of Penny Lane, Penny Lane is a woman.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:15:47 pm »
Err, Penny Lane wasn't on the album?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:20:56 pm »
and the third: the first reference to Penny Lane in a Beatles song was in Lennon's original lyrics for In My Life, on Rubber Soul.

(And you're right, Karia, it wasn't on the album but was the third song recorded in the sessions that produced it. EMI demanded a new single at the beginning of 1967  so two of the three tracks were purloined for that.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
I've never listened to a Beatles album. Ever. I was once forced to listen to Led Zeppelin album. That was awful.

My student halls of residence were at the bottom of Penny Lane and there was a strict instruction from the authorities that we were not, for any reason, to shoot the gathered tourists with any kind of water gun on pain of immediate expulsion.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:27:17 pm »
I've never listened to a Beatles album. Ever. I was once forced to listen to Led Zeppelin album. That was awful.

But thanks for your valuable input anyway.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:40:56 pm »
I was once forced to listen to Led Zeppelin album. That was awful.

What no !!!!!! Led Zep were fantastic (except for Stairway to bloody Heaven if I never have to listen to that again I will be happy). Forget Page just listen to that rhythm section.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:51:04 pm »

I'm not making it you read it. Or am I?

As for Led Zep, every song seemed to go for about eight hours. Possibly a parental reaction, my dad made me listen to that kind of stuff as a child and it deeply traumatised me. The mere mention of P**k Fl*yd can still bring on anxiety attacks.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:51:36 pm »
Sgt P is probably my favourite Beatles album. I know a lot of people didn't like it when it came out, presumably because they preferred the poppy nonsense of the early Beatles.

I have an original, first run vinyl of it. My dad bought it the day it came out.  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2017, 06:24:28 pm »

Ian, please, whatever you do, don't read this.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »

My student halls of residence were at the bottom of Penny Lane and there was a strict instruction from the authorities that we were not, for any reason, to shoot the gathered tourists with any kind of water gun on pain of immediate expulsion.

I'm with you on the Beatles, but have to castigate your attitude to Led Zep.  Perfect music for 1) nasty high intensity endurance weights sessions, b) nasty turbo interval sessions and iii) tootling along a lane in a landrover,
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »

As for Led Zep, every song seemed to go for about eight hours. Possibly a parental reaction, my dad made me listen to that kind of stuff as a child and it deeply traumatised me. The mere mention of P**k Fl*yd can still bring on anxiety attacks.
<shakes head>

<sighs>

Sadly, many adults with irrational reactions to everyday things (balloons, clowns, gluten, billion-selling Beatle albums, etc) owe their odd behaviour to a form of parental fixation.

"They fuck you up, your mum and dad " as that over-rated cockwomble Philip Larkin so accurately described the problem. Didn't he go on?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:19:41 pm »
I have an original, first run vinyl of it. My dad bought it the day it came out.  :)

Mono or stereo? If the former, hang on to it as they seem to be a lot harder to find. (Also, the mono version has She's Leaving Home at the right speed whereas the stereo version has it slowed down for some reason.)

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2017, 07:54:00 am »

Mono or stereo? If the former, hang on to it as they seem to be a lot harder to find. (Also, the mono version has She's Leaving Home at the right speed whereas the stereo version has it slowed down for some reason.)

Nah, take it to Flog It!

they preferred the poppy nonsense of the early Beatles.

I'd suggest poppies were more likely to be involved later in the Beatles era..
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:19:48 am »

Ian, please, whatever you do, don't read this.

Your thought leadership skills are weak.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:42:05 am »

I'm pretty sure we have an original mouldering in the cellar somewhere.  If you tried to waltz to the version of SLH on it you'd bounce off the walls, so I guess it's mono. If it's there.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2017, 12:30:34 pm »
My friend's once wired his stereo so he had a speaker in the front room and one in the back room.

It sounded passable (mostly) until he played the early binaural stereo stuff from the Beatles.  At that point you'd have Ringo on drums and George harrison on Guitar in one room while John and Paul were singing, almost a cappella in the other.  Most strange.

Redlight

« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2017, 01:14:03 pm »
My friend's once wired his stereo so he had a speaker in the front room and one in the back room.

It sounded passable (mostly) until he played the early binaural stereo stuff from the Beatles.  At that point you'd have Ringo on drums and George harrison on Guitar in one room while John and Paul were singing, almost a cappella in the other.  Most strange.

That was fairly common in the early days of stereo - the thinking seemed to be that stereo was for "music buffs" who would want to separate the vocals from the accompaniment. Some of the earlier Beatles recordings (e.g. She Loves you) were mixed only in mono at the time so it was impossible for engineers subsequently to produce decent stereo mixes without crudely splitting the vocals and much of the instrumentation across the two channels (the binaural approach). If you can get hold of a copy, there's a late 1966 'hits' compilation that has what is claimed to be a stereo version of She Loves You but it's actually a binaural mix as the original master tapes weren't kept.  It sounds horrible.  (The same happened to a lot of Buddy Holly's recordings after his death.)

I haven't listened to my stereo versions of the early albums for some time so I'd need to go back and check but, so far as I can recall, while the first one, Please Please Me, had a stereo mix with the vocals and backing widely separated, stereo mixes of the albums from With The Beatles to the White Album are closer to what we might think of as true stereo with the vocals present on both tracks for most of the songs*.  The odd one out in the catalogue is Rubber Soul - the stereo mix of that has the vocals and instruments too widely separated and sounds pretty awful as a result. I have the original mono mix, which sounds great.

From Revolver onwards, they started playing around a bit on the stereo mixes so that you did have some vocals on one channel only, but that was used relatively sparingly for effect - for example, the switch between the verses and chorus on Eleanor Rigby or the way Lennon's voice pans across the channels on A Day in the Life.   

* Most mono mixes at the time were simply the stereo mix bounced down on to one track but The Beatles' engineers always mixed the two independently. For the anoraks, it's interesting comparing the mono and stereo mixes of The Beatles' albums and spotting the (many) differences. Pepper has the most obvious examples, but there are plenty of others to be found, from different vocals to, at the extreme, one track being almost a minute longer in stereo.