Author Topic: Tool bag  (Read 8616 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Tool bag
« on: 11 June, 2017, 09:55:10 pm »
What, I hear you say, is this?

It started life as one leg of a pair of waterproof trousers then I slit it up the side so it was a flat piece of plastic material. Then using my ancient sewing machine I turned the edge and sewed a seam, then passed a long bit of string through the seam edge. Then my toolkit went into the space created.

So it's possible to tighten the string and the top of the "bag" comes together

And when in your saddlebag it would look like this:

Why bother? Because when you take your toolkit out you can just loosen the string and drop it on the ground and all your bits will be on display (as in the second picture) rather than rummaging around in the small bag one used to carry your kit.
I'd be the first to admit this solves the smallest problem imaginable, and I made a similar thing for my climbing kit and it worked well.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tool bag
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2017, 10:07:40 pm »
This is also a proven approach for short cables and adaptors when jibbling audio kit and the like.  And, scaled up, the best way to store Lego.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2017, 10:29:05 pm »
scaled up, the best way to store Lego.
Never thought of that! Brilliant idea.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2017, 10:36:56 pm »

Idea ©1986 Mrs Kim'sMum

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:11:49 pm »

Idea ©1986 Mrs Kim'sMum
We purchased one of those in the early 1980s for our son's Lego. Fabric was blue denim or somesuch. Mrs. N. thinks it was sold by Lego. It's still in use for grandchildren's Lego.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:20:29 pm »
I think it's one of those good ideas that occurred spontaneously in many places.  Ours was made from a satisfyingly thick old curtain, and probably inspired by the bag a set of baby's building blocks lived in, but commercial ones for Lego have been common for ages.

Related good idea: Sticky Lego into knotted pillowcase, send it for a ride in the washing machine.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2017, 09:32:25 am »
Great idea!

I must admit I'm very glad I bought my 1963 Singer 411g from gumtree for £40, as I've got a fair few things to make using it!  I've already sewed some webbing and an old shoulder strap from a holdall to make a carrying strap for my heavy duty yoga mat..  Need to get some material to fettle together a carrying bag for it!

mmmmartin

• FNRttC