Author Topic: DIY Frame Bag  (Read 9125 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
DIY Frame Bag
« on: 13 June, 2017, 02:29:28 pm »
I'm currently working on a DIY "alpkit stingray" style frame bag for my MTB.

Rather than sew velcro loops into the frame pack, I've sewn a length of webbing around the  head tube / top tube / seat tube / down tube panel, then I can thread velcro through this to secure to the frame. (no, I didn't get this idea from alpkit!   ;)

For the material I am using an old soft bike bag, I haven't used it in many a year, so it is a good donor of cordura material, and webbing!  I bought a chunky zip & some 50mm wide velcro from my local haberdashery shop.

I'll also add some padding to the seat tube / down tube panel, and a plastic stiffener to the top tube panel. I'll be making the bag 2.5" wide.

Here are some pics:

Cardboard mockup:

IMG_0699-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

Donor bike bag:

IMG_0698-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

Templates:

IMG_0700-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

Marking up:

IMG_0701-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

Sewing webbing ladder:

IMG_0703-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

BrianI

Re: DIY Frame Bag
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:48:59 pm »
Finally got it finished!

Adding some padding from offcuts of an old, thin worn out yoga mat.

IMG_0704-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

Side panel tacked in place:

IMG_0705-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

All stitched together.  Probably not the neatest of sewing jobs, particularly around the corner seams.  I originally had added a bit of plastic to the top panel for extra stiffening. However this meant it was impossible to turn the bag inside out! So it was removed  ::-) I did add little vertical dividers, mainly to stop the bag bulging out too much when loaded up with gear.  Just enough room in the rear part for pump / tubes / tools etc.

IMG_0706-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

And all finished!

IMG_0709-800 by BrianInnesPhotography, on Flickr

Not too shabby for a first attempt!   :)  Going to road test it shortly. Hopefully it wont all fall apart on me...   ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »
Very good!

BrianI

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2017, 07:51:17 am »
I used it in anger yesterday on the callander to strathyre cycle route. Ended up cycling to the head of Loch Voil to see the youth hostel..

Frame bag worked like a charm.  Only thing i wish i had done was to make the zip full length for easier access.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2017, 01:36:59 pm »
I'm impressed by the use of the cardboard in planning. Also glad to see you went the Full Metal Jacket on the good quality zip, I'm sure cycle clothing manufacturers would do better in sales by putting a good zip on and making a virtue of it in the marketing. I've replaced the front zip on two gilets in the past few months.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:45:23 am »
Top job Brian :thumbsup:

I feel a cottage industry* coming along.

Wish I had a sewing machine, it would've saved me a fortune. In fact, I wish I could sew ;D

*Thats not the same as cottaging Mr Zilla ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

BrianI

« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:46:06 pm »
Thanks peeps!

Heres a photie of it in use:

:)

My next bag may be a bike packing type seat pack for the mtb.  Up the loft I found an army surplus rubberised nylon stuff sack type thing, which could be modified to a seat pack....  Hmmmm...