Author Topic: New CMOS battery required?  (Read 894 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
New CMOS battery required?
« on: 29 June, 2017, 08:37:50 am »
My PC must be pushing 4 years old now, and it has started several times in the last couple of days insisting its got a fan error (not a real problem, but I had to tell it to ignore the CPU fan speed ever since I got a new silent cooler with a slow fan speed), and its now forgetting I've told it to ignore that issue.  I'm assuming that's a sign that the CMOS battery is dying?  Its just a CR2032, so I assume its just a case of shut down, change battery, start up and wonder if it will then have forgotten absolutely everything, or not?  Its a "modern" EUFI BIOS thing, on an ASUS Z87-A M/B.

For now, I'm leaving it on!
Wombat

Re: New CMOS battery required?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:44:48 am »
I'm not sure about this, but don't you leave it on when changing the CMOS battery, so as not to loose the settings?
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:10:12 am »
Or find out what are your BIOS settings before you start. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=find+bios+settings&oq=find+bios+settings&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4064j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Otherwise you will go back to the very beginning..

ps Glad you reminded me as my BIOS battery is 6 years old!  Also CR2032.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2017, 10:27:45 am »
There was little in it that wasn't default, only the "kindly ignore the CPU fan speed as you can't seem to understand its meant to run that slowly", so I changed it, and when I went into the BIOS to reset the date and time, it refused to accept the correct date, but accepted the 6th June 2017 (Uh?) so I let it boot and then went into the change date etc., thing in Windows, and let it correct the date and time itself which it did.  I'll stop by the BIOS the next time I start it, and check it has grasped the correct date.

Hopefully all is well now, but we shall see...  (yes, I did have one CR2032 left in stock, phew!)
Wombat