Author Topic: [LEL17] Weather forecasting ?  (Read 2923 times)

[LEL17] Weather forecasting ?
« on: 02 July, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
I can't believe we're less than a month away from the start and no one has started a thread to discuss the weather (although it has been mentioned in passing elsewhere).
Weatherbagel is currently suggesting moderate north-easterly winds and dry throughout.
So, any bets on a repeat of 2013's weather?  or 2009's?

LMT

Re: Weather forecasting ?
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:24:32 pm »
I can't believe we're less than a month away from the start and no one has started a thread to discuss the weather (although it has been mentioned in passing elsewhere).
Weatherbagel is currently suggesting moderate north-easterly winds and dry throughout.

I hope not, I did not do LEL that year but have read the stories.

I'm pretty much good to go with my kit, I'll check the weather the Friday evening before and will pack accordingly - for both on the bike and what goes in the drop bag.

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
Debating whether to take the golf umbrella again this time. Proved very handy in 2013.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:05:42 pm »
There's been quite a lot of LEL weather discussion on Facebook.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:02:51 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that there will definitely be some weather during LEL.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2017, 04:57:54 am »

I think that was the year of my first offroad ultra marathon, on a ten mile loop. Referred to as the quagmire year!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:34:37 am »
Debating whether to take the golf umbrella again this time. Proved very handy in 2013.

I have memories of standing on a bridge in the middle of an Audax and realizing that I'd lost the route sheet, didn't know where I had to go next and couldn't remember where I was coming from, and furthermore I couldn't find the clip on the bike to take my wretched umbrella. Then I woke up, in bed at home.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »
I predict you'll get full value weather with bonus episodes so you don't get bored with the same stuff.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:17:16 am »
Given that the British Isles are supposedly the windiest part of Europe, stuck on the edge of the Atlantic and in the battleground of competing warm/cold/dry/wet air masses, then yes, there will be WEATHER in the London-Edinburgh-London Meteorological Theme Park.  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:12:16 pm »
Mudguards off?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »
Not if I were riding.

There will be weather I don't know what or where.

Pack for 0-40C in wet, dry, windy, sunny and still.

You'll either be disappointed at having unused kit or relieved you used kit that kept you safe and comfortable.

Nobody knows.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:12:16 pm »
What I wear might be weather dependent but what I take won't be. There won't be ice on the roads and it's highly unlikely to snow. It will rain, it will be windy, and I will get sun burnt.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:17:19 pm »
I rode PBP '15 without mudguards. Got away with it. Just some light drizzle on the last stage.

« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:29:11 am »
You only have to look at the weather for the last week here in the UK to see that there has been a north/south split. Warm (hot!) and sunny in the south, wet (extremely!) in the north of England and Scotland.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2017, 11:48:00 am »
Don't bother with weather forecasts.
React to weather you encounter.
Be prepared.