Author Topic: Some good features for your Garmin  (Read 4165 times)

dim

Some good features for your Garmin
« on: 13 July, 2017, 09:39:40 pm »
12 neat features you didn’t know your Garmin had up its sleeve:

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/12-things-didnt-know-garmin-221503#225bZDs1XFm183ST.99
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Some good features for your Garmin
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »
For your Garmin Edge. My Garmin isn't an Edge, so doesn't apply.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

dim

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2017, 10:00:34 pm »
For your Garmin Edge. My Garmin isn't an Edge, so doesn't apply.

OOPs sorry .... I should have added that it's for the Edge series only

but saying that ..... there's a saying:

'if you use yesterday's technology today ........ you will be out of business tomorrow'  :P

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2017, 10:26:09 pm »
And not all features support all models of Edge.

I rather like the 'tell you when to put your feet up option' and do wonder how it would respond to some audax rides.  You might find that you would be off riding for a while!

I would just like mine to stop crashing on long rides and can't see me using any of the options available.

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2017, 10:26:56 pm »
The feature I'd really like on my 800 Touring and in Garmin Express is bug-free software  :(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »
Luckily I use my Garmin in my free time and not for business.

I'd prefer it if Garmin concentrated on producing software and firmware that didn't crash their units, rather than useless 'features'. I think a Wahoo is in my future.

« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:08:44 pm »
And not all features support all models of Edge.

Quite. Nothing on the list works with mine!

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:09:45 pm »
I rather like the 'tell you when to put your feet up option' and do wonder how it would respond to some audax rides.  You might find that you would be off riding for a while!

Not really. The relative intensity of Audax riding is quite low (and is lower the longer you go) so recovery isn't ever that bad.

The maximum recovery period I've seen (my Garmin Forerunner 920xt tri watch has had recovery advisor for years) is 48 hours. Even then the FirstBeat powered HRV-based recovery test generally gives me "Good" even when I've felt shattered from various bits of training.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »
The analogue speedo looks pretty cool.

Think it should be possible to install it on any Garmin that supports the Connect IQ apps. That includes the newer Edge models, plus a few others (eg Forerunner, Fenix, Oregon).

dim

« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2017, 08:47:34 pm »
Luckily I use my Garmin in my free time and not for business.

I'd prefer it if Garmin concentrated on producing software and firmware that didn't crash their units, rather than useless 'features'. I think a Wahoo is in my future.

most/some of the problems on the latest Garmins are due to incorrect settings .... check this site and read the comments:
http://www.forgot.co.uk/garmin-edge-navigation/edge-800/

I have the Edge 1000 and there were a few glitches (but not major) .... switch off all the crap such as wifi, Glosnass, virtual partner etc etc and there are very few problems (actually, there have been none of late) .... as a backup on long rides, I have my old Edge 500 which never misses a beat

another problem is that many people use RideWithGps to create routes .... I have a gut feeling that some of the navigation problems stem from ridewithgps ..... I use the free version and I found some problems with routes that I created myself .... however, if I edited and restarted the route again and saved it, there were no problems.... I also use some routes created by the Cambridge Cycle club which are on RideWithGps .... I've never ever had any problems when usin one of their routes .... I'm not sure if the Premium membership on RideWithGps eliminates the problem

I have the Garmin Radar unit connected to mine and it works like a charm ....  If I ever lost or damaged my Garmin Edge 1000, I'd buy another with no hesitation

« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:22:14 pm »
My problems have been nothing to do with settings, but updating software and maps due to buggy software. Garmin seem incapable of writing/testing their code. I'm never going to buy another Garmin product.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2017, 05:06:20 pm »
Wot Orienteer said...

I don't have any cycling specific Garmin stuff, but I've had a couple of handheld GPS units, including an early Etrex, and I also have a Garmin device that is part of my car.  Garmin just don't seem to understand anything to do with software!  It either doesn't work at all, or it keeps crashing, or its so damn awkward to use that its almost unusable.

I too, won't buy another Garmin product, and I'm currently musing as to what to get for pottering the rural Welsh lanes.  Has to have all mapping built in, as mobile data is hopeless.
Wombat

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:25:30 pm »

Route sheet holder

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2017, 10:12:17 am »
Wot Orienteer said...

I don't have any cycling specific Garmin stuff, but I've had a couple of handheld GPS units, including an early Etrex, and I also have a Garmin device that is part of my car.  Garmin just don't seem to understand anything to do with software!  It either doesn't work at all, or it keeps crashing, or its so damn awkward to use that its almost unusable.

I too, won't buy another Garmin product, and I'm currently musing as to what to get for pottering the rural Welsh lanes.  Has to have all mapping built in, as mobile data is hopeless.

I must be doing something wrong: my eTrex 30x works perfectly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 17 July, 2017, 10:33:22 am »
I'd have said much the same thing about my Etrex 30 until a month or so ago.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 17 July, 2017, 02:55:15 pm »
My eTrex usually does the job, almost never crashes and is roughly as awkward to use as you'd expect a handheld GPS receiver from the days when software came with manuals to be (ie. fairly awkward).

Everything I hear about the Edge series seems to convince me that I don't want one.  Sure, it looks neat on a racing bike, but that's no good if it isn't actually fit for purpose.

dim

« Reply #16 on: 17 July, 2017, 11:33:00 pm »

Route sheet holder