Author Topic: light not working  (Read 1052 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
light not working
« on: 14 July, 2017, 03:31:52 pm »
OK I guess this is seriously dumb and I realise my next step is to use a multi meter.

I have been changing the halogens bulbs to LEDs and its been going mostly quite well. However on the last bulb in the room does not work. I have tried two different connections and two different bulbs with no joy.

I don't know if there is power coming into the junction box but am not particularly keen on having live wires and a multimeter to test this. 

Having tried alternative cable and bulbs - is the multimeter my last resort?

TBH I can't figure out why it would not work if its a straight swap from one type of light to another.

thanks

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: light not working
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2017, 05:05:13 pm »
My Daddy say:
Have you switched on?
Have you checked the connections?
Have you reversed polarity?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2017, 06:15:16 pm »
Are they 12v halogens?
12v downlighters often use a switch-mode power supply which needs a certain amount of load to work which a single LED bulb won't generate
Its possible that all the working bulbs are running off a different power supply.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2017, 08:33:47 am »
Yes to everything  - connections are fine, tried wiring both ways, so the only problem maybe there is no power going to it.

got the multimeter but am not too keen on trying to test a live circuit.

Loose wire somewhere as taking it the holder out and pushing it in again and it started working.  No idea where or what the problem is. ☹️