Author Topic: Cycle computer with always on backlight  (Read 1631 times)

Cycle computer with always on backlight
« on: 17 July, 2017, 01:21:25 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for a wireless cycle computer with an always on backlight, a battery life of >24hrs and cost of under £100.

I think the battery life and price requirements rule out computers with gps, and I'm struggling to find one with an always on backlight.

The Sigma 14.16 STS (also 16.16 23.16 etc) almost fits the bill except that as far as I can gather from the internet it only stays illuminated for a while after a button press. Likewise the Cateye Micro Wireless.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Cycle computer with always on backlight
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2017, 10:20:43 am »
It's not a cycle specific computer but you can get a Garmin etrex 10 from various sources on the internet for around £80. GPS functionality. Takes AA batteries so you can keep a few in your pocket and easily get 24 hours out of it with the backlight permanently on or set up to light up only when near a waypoint.

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2017, 12:56:04 pm »
A GPS is probably the easiest way to solve this.  Traditional computers tend to be powered by CR2032 cells and the like, and would have unacceptably low battery life if the backlight was run continuously.

I have in the past contemplated that you could make a pretty nice cycle computer that connected to a dynamo hub, counting the oscillations of the AC waveform in order to measure distance/speed and with enough power to keep a backlight on all the time when the bike was in motion.  I suspect the idea is too niche to make a viable commercial product.

Alternative approach:  Head torch.  I tend to keep mine on its lowest power level in order to read the computer/GPS/shifter indicators, and also doubles as a be-seen light.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:10:25 pm »
I used to make little cycle computer illuminators from an LED, switch, battery and a bit of stiff wire.  Did the job but nothing like as nice as a proper backlight, of course.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »
I have in the past contemplated that you could make a pretty nice cycle computer that connected to a dynamo hub, counting the oscillations of the AC waveform in order to measure distance/speed and with enough power to keep a backlight on all the time when the bike was in motion.  I suspect the idea is too niche to make a viable commercial product.
Too niche to be commercial, but there's enough interest to keep things like Igaro in production. A small batch of dynocomps could probably be sold on these hallowed pages and to audaxers and tourists, maybe just enough to keep one woman and her soldering iron in pin money?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:32:31 pm »
Too niche to be commercial, but there's enough interest to keep things like Igaro in production. A small batch of dynocomps could probably be sold on these hallowed pages and to audaxers and tourists, maybe just enough to keep one woman and her soldering iron in pin money?

Waterproofing's what scares me.  Potting is fine for something like the Igaro, but doesn't work when there are buttons to press.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:40:28 pm »
Good point. It wouldn't do to be remembered as "she who ripped off half the forum with her homemade shoddy goods".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:52:49 pm »
I think I'd lean towards the "laughably industrial" rather than actually shoddy, but same basic problem.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:54:56 pm »
Perhaps an existing case with waterproof buttons from some other product could be repurposed.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2017, 03:43:35 pm »

Waterproofing's what scares me.  Potting is fine for something like the Igaro, but doesn't work when there are buttons to press.
Rotary magnetic is where it is at for really waterproof. But that is hard to do cheap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>