Author Topic: Asthma relief without inhale?  (Read 1560 times)

Asthma relief without inhale?
« on: 20 July, 2017, 10:28:02 am »
Just curious, is there anything simple you can do if you have an asthma attack without your ventolin? I keep forgetting to pack my inhaler into my commuting bag. I don't usually get attacks but carry one just in case. I only get it September and into autumn.

So what easily accessed options are there to help relieve asthma? A drink? Hot or cold? Does that help?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Asthma relief without inhale?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2017, 10:50:46 am »
TEA? I am not asthmatic and have no direct experience but TEA contains theophylline, an old-fashioned bronchodilator. I don't know how much you need or how strong you need to brew but TEA is cheap and universally available.

Perhaps try a 'builders' TEA next time you have an attack, preferably when you also have an inhaler to hand?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2017, 01:16:33 pm »
Calm down and try not to breathe too much.  I've avoided many a milder asthma attack by that method, but years of practice mean I'm fairly good at not breathing.  YMMV.

A friend of mine used to swear by having a wank.  She was prone to getting into a panic cycle that would exacerbate the problem, thobut.  The opposite effect seems more likely to me.

More importantly you need to get away from this "my inhaler" idea that the penny-pinching medical establishment like to perpetuate.  If you're asthmatic you should distribute salbutamol inhalers liberally throughout your life, so that you're never too far away from one at times of need.  So there's an inhaler in your handbag, an inhaler by your bedside, an inhaler in the kitchen drawer, an inhaler in your cupboard at work, an inhaler in the glove compartment, an inhaler as part of every bike's toolkit, etc.  You do then have to keep an eye on expiry dates, but I'd much rather have a slightly out of date inhaler than not have one at all.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2017, 01:20:07 pm »

More importantly you need to get away from this "my inhaler" idea that the penny-pinching medical establishment like to perpetuate.  If you're asthmatic you should distribute salbutamol inhalers liberally throughout your life, so that you're never too far away from one at times of need.  So there's an inhaler in your handbag, an inhaler by your bedside, an inhaler in the kitchen drawer, an inhaler in your cupboard at work, an inhaler in the glove compartment, an inhaler as part of every bike's toolkit, etc.  You do then have to keep an eye on expiry dates, but I'd much rather have a slightly out of date inhaler than not have one at all.

Which is exactly what I do.  There's still never one when I bloody need it, mind.
Milk please, no sugar.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2017, 01:28:09 pm »
Me too.  My universe is scattered with three quarter empty inhalers.  Luckily, I don't seem to need them these days.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2017, 01:35:11 pm »
Which is exactly what I do.  There's still never one when I bloody need it, mind.

Yeah, I tend to walk off with them if I'm having an asthma attack.

I also operate an exchange programme with barakta, where I maintain a stash of hearing aid batteries.

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2017, 03:19:53 pm »

It's exactly what I do. It's.Just.that.after a holiday we are still a bit mixed.up. My partner needed one and she's.misplaced.all hers so I knew where.one of mine was but.It's not been.put back (kept in my work kit bag.

She needed it badly.in the middle of the night. My.condition isn't that bad. It's more a spell of bad coughing due to allergies that causes a right chest and wheezing. A quick puff or two and it eases rapidly. I can get away without it just takes longer and I have to concentrate on resisting the coughing urge. For me when like that coughing.is like an itch you can't stop scratching without immense effort of willpower!

Still not convinced it's asthma but the ventolin helps which is all I'm bothered about. It's a safe intervention if it's not asthma and I.feel better quickly after a puff.