Author Topic: Belgian 400 from Herentals, 26th Aug 2017  (Read 1326 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Belgian 400 from Herentals, 26th Aug 2017
« on: 20 July, 2017, 06:42:26 pm »
I'm considering entering this 400 in Belgium on the 26th August 2017 from Herentals.

Is anyone on here considering this? Its a very early start, 04:00!! but I figure I may be able to find a local B&B or even just bivi somewhere out of the way.

Anyone offering advice will be appreciated, I've plenty of rides under my belt, but limited experience of accommodation in Belgium. Is there anywhere to leave a bike bag in Brussels airport, of is a plastic bag OK? I've travelled by airplane to Holland but had somewhere to assemble and store my large bike bag, so am wondering about a folding bike bag, flimsy but packable.

Dave C

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Belgian 400 from Herentals, 26th Aug 2017
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2017, 10:41:57 pm »
Have done a few events in Belgium, write about a 600 in Arrivée.
For accommodation ask the org for advice.
We drove over and back, you might think flying is risky. Eurostar to Brussels has been used by many in my club, works well.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2017, 10:51:39 pm »
IIRC Dave_C's a bit north of Edinburgh, so driving or even train would turn it into a much longer weekend than if he's contemplating a (literally) flying visit.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2017, 08:18:28 am »
0400 start - possibly a VERY flat Belgian parcours - early finish?

In whicih case hotel/B&B for 2 nights, leave the bike-bag there?

Jan - organiser of the Herentals 1200 - was super helpful. And it started at a sports club with beds, so they might have a "left luggage" option?

Good luck. And don't forget your helmet Dave! ;)

[did you see that I acquired another one last week?? No claimants yet.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:16:36 am »
As mattc said, Jan the organiser is usually very helpful in organising accommodation for his 1200 - I'm sure he would be for overseas riders on on his 400. There's a campsite 'de Schuur' about 2 km from the start, if that's any use. 9 euro a night. I've stayed there a few times.

I see it visits Herentals' twin town in Germany, Alpen  (Aunty Helen's neck of the woods, nothing Alpine about it) - visiting twin towns is a speciality of Jan's. I see the last 55 km is on a canal path I've used a few times.  It's wide and well-surfaced (better than most Belgian roads) - just watch out for pros training behind mopeds.

btw the start is at Morkhoven, a few km S of Herentals town.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2017, 10:39:13 am »
Many thanks Matt and Salvatore,

I stayed near Valkensvaard (Kempervennen) a couple of weeks ago and am now quite familiar with that stretch of the canal.  ;) I rode it mostly at dusk/night after my children were tucked up in bed. You are right about its quality, and for a small stretch I was tailed by a van, which I took to be a moped as it stayed a long way back until I pulled over to let it past, and saw what is actually was.

I'm considering camping now as I have a small tent and can carry a small bag on the plane and check in the bike in its monster bag with small tent and sleeping system in as well, for packaging protection. I have can fly direct from Edinburgh to Brussels and then take a train to within 12km, and perhaps jump in a taxi to the campsite. The very early start means I really have to travel on the Friday but I figure I can leave early after work. I can then get a reasonable sleep at the campsite before returning for an evening flight back Sunday.

Cheers!

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2017, 11:41:18 am »
Sounds like a good plan and nice little adventure Dave, let us know how it goes!