Author Topic: eTrex 30x Internal Storage  (Read 1992 times)

eTrex 30x Internal Storage
« on: 23 July, 2017, 10:02:36 am »
On my recently bought eTrex 30x I've found that the internal storage is almost full when plugged in to my PC straight out of the box before I've even used it !It came with full Garmin TopoActive west europe maps already installed. is this going to cause problems when trying to save track/routes etc? and is there anyway i can delete/move any of the stuff already on it? Below a couple of screen shots showing what's on it.
IMG_7237[1] by jimmym2010, on Flickr IMG_7236[1] by jimmym2010, on Flickr

Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Re: eTrex 30x Internal Storage
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:04:40 am »
Put the maps on an SD card. 

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:33:50 am »
Still 300MB free, which should be plenty of space for waypoints, tracks etc. They are usually pretty small files, compared to the maps anyway. Just check the space occasionally, to make its not filling up.

Also check if there's any files in the BirdsEye or CustomMaps folder. Some models include a sample map, which is pretty useless, so you could delete that.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:37:09 am »
Put the maps on an SD card. 

I don't think that would work, I think the supplied Topo map is keyed to the device.

Your images were a bit indistinct so I plugged a 30x into my PC and got a report of 216Mb free space. (In my case I have added a UK contours overlay map which occupies about 100Mb. Other added maps are all on the mSD card.)  If you add planned tracks and routes for a long holiday, these are unlikely to take up more than 2Mb (and I have found that it is better to store these on the GPS, not on the card).

Daily tracklogs are archived on the device but they almost never exceed 500Kb per file, and often much less.  So in practice (with over 200Mb of free space) there is space for over a years-worth of daily ridden archived tracklogs.  And of course you would copy these elsewhere at intervals, and so keep the GPS storage under control.
In short, I would say, nothing to worry about.  X-post.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2017, 11:30:59 am »
Thanks for that, so need to worry then  :thumbsup:
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.