Author Topic: accident claims cold calls  (Read 4568 times)

Ben T

accident claims cold calls
« on: 16 August, 2017, 04:04:34 pm »
Started getting these, anyone know any (preferably SFW) wind-ups / string-alongs?

got to be suitable for accident claims, not PPI/your computer is at risk.
(or point me to existing thread)

ta

Re: accident claims cold calls
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2017, 04:09:35 pm »
I had a spate of them.  I just asked, repeatedly if necessary, where they got my number from.  A while ago they used to argue then hang up abruptly.  Recent ones have said they'll take me off their database.  Certainly they have decreased to the point where I haven't had one for over a month.

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
I don't waste time on them.  Click Brrrr.. is my response.  My land line phone was infested and is permanently unplugged these days but I hardly get any on the mobile for some reason.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2017, 04:20:57 pm »
Started getting these, anyone know any (preferably SFW) wind-ups / string-alongs?

got to be suitable for accident claims, not PPI/your computer is at risk.
(or point me to existing thread)

ta

Just say you tripped over a raised paving slab when on a recent trip to the Moon.  They normally hang-up.

Alternatively, put them on hold and just carry-on doing what you were doing.  They waste your time, you waste theirs.

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2017, 11:32:36 am »
If you're bored go along with them. See how far you can get. Without committing to anything of course. Try to slip in silly things that are on the edge if believable to  get them wondering if you're for real but not making it obvious. That way they think they're getting a bite.

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2017, 02:40:11 pm »
If you're bored go along with them. See how far you can get. Without committing to anything of course. Try to slip in silly things that are on the edge if believable to  get them wondering if you're for real but not making it obvious. That way they think they're getting a bite.

yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of  :)
They do tend to abruptly hang up fairly quickly if I ever stray onto the subject of exactly what company they are, where they are based, etc.

« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »
I normally say that yes, I've had a couple of accidents recently, and ask which one they're calling about. Strangely, they're never able to give enough detail for me to identify which one they mean.

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »
I had one recently and strung them on when a recalled a fake collision I had when I was in the RAF stationed
in Berlin. They tried to be sympathetic and end the call, but I talked about it out as long as a could before they
realised I was having them on.

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2017, 04:03:41 pm »
Amnesia is a good one, it's amazing how many times you can go around with 'sorry, what were we talking about? I've got amnesia from an accident'. Bonus points if they're simply working their way through your extension numbers and you can get to the next one in time.

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2017, 06:27:40 pm »
I’m having some of these on the mobile. Registering with the TPS is a complete waste of time, for reasons I need not bore you with but are readily google-able.

What I don’t understand is why they hang up at the slightest hint of a sensible question, such as “Oh, what accident was that then?”. They don’t even know who they are calling, and when asked will just end the call. What sort of conversation are they hoping for?? 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2017, 07:25:47 am »
Tell them you don't have either a car or a driving licence.  They will then start burbling about how you must have been a passenger.  Then tell them you think this highly unlikely as you were only released from Parkhurst two days ago, on completion of your neves for $CRIME_OF_VIOLENCE.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2017, 03:10:25 pm »
I’m having some of these on the mobile. Registering with the TPS is a complete waste of time, for reasons I need not bore you with but are readily google-able.

What I don’t understand is why they hang up at the slightest hint of a sensible question, such as “Oh, what accident was that then?”. They don’t even know who they are calling, and when asked will just end the call. What sort of conversation are they hoping for??
I don't know. I'm not sure whether they even are compensation claims lawyers or just trying to get your details in order to commit fraud.
One shot himself in the foot when he said I had an accident last year. Well I did have somebody run into the back of me this year....

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »

I don't know. I'm not sure whether they even are compensation claims lawyers or just trying to get your details in order to commit fraud.
One shot himself in the foot when he said I had an accident last year. Well I did have somebody run into the back of me this year....

In which case you must have whiplash; your existence (it cannot be described as 'life' in any meaningful sense) is one of of severe incurable pain and depression; you have been forced onto the streets having lost your job, marriage and home?  A life of petty crime and an early grave looms before you, no?

What do you mean it only happened a few days ago.. So? 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »

That was my thinking - that it has bugger all to do with accidents and that it’s just a method of identifying the truly greedy and gullible for some other purpose.

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2017, 08:25:20 pm »

That was my thinking - that it has bugger all to do with accidents and that it’s just a method of identifying the truly greedy and gullible for some other purpose.

One of them was particularly pernicious in that they pretended to be the company that dealt with my claim on behalf of the insurance when I did have somebody run into the back of me so they must have managed to get that information (their name) from somewhere, and pre-countered the objection to claiming compensation by claiming a payment for 'discomfort' (not injury) had been "put aside" and do I want it. Yeah, go on then send me a cheque.
"Ah, but we need to confirm some details..."
I said "so how come you're ringing from Rochdale then?"
"oh, we've got offices in Rochdale and Manchester"
"so where's the head office then?" [it's not in Manchester]
Hung up.

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:50:00 pm »

One of them was particularly pernicious in that they pretended to be the company that dealt with my claim on behalf of the insurance when I did have somebody run into the back of me so they must have managed to get that information (their name) from somewhere, and pre-countered the objection to claiming compensation by claiming a payment for 'discomfort' (not injury) had been "put aside" and do I want it.

Interesting. That might make more sense - acting on information about genuine accidents and then trying to interpose themselves and somehow gain benefit. But all of the “accident” calls I have received have been entirely random: they are not acting on information received, I haven’t been in any accidents, and on the few occasions I have tried to explore further, asking any question at all is enough for them to end the call. I suppose they are looking for people who say “yes, I have been in an accident” and then they jump in with something like “for security reasons please can you tell me...” and work their way in.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #16 on: 20 August, 2017, 01:07:27 am »
Sister,Liz', had one of these a bit ago.
When the guy said he was calling about the accident she'd been in she gave THE BEST response.

"An accident! Oh Lord, did I survive?"
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #17 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:04:50 am »
My father had a motorbike accident in April this year, I made the initial call to his insurance company to inform them of the accident from my mobile so guess who I have had about 10 calls from this month, the ambulance chasers. My first question has been if they calling on behalf of his insurance company what company was it, at which point they hang up or try to skirt around it. If they stay on the line I ask if they can wait to the person who many be interesting in speaking to them, but warn them it might take a while as he lives 90 miles away.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
I used to get spates of these calls. Best thing is just not to answer. Trouble is once they've got your number it just does a merry-go-round between 'different' companies no matter whether you request the caller to remove your number from their database. Absolute scum of the earth frankly!
I used to report every call here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance-calls-and-messages/report-telesales-calls/ along with having my mobile registered with the TPS.

In the end I just changed my number and haven't (so far) had any calls for 3-4 months. The ICO doesn't really do a lot, but I got a kind of well, fuck you feeling each time I entered another cold call number.
If you google the phone number that called you, you'll find others will have had the same...also they may have noted down company names & call content to 'help' with your ICO report....if, like me, you'd not actually answered the call in the first place ;-)
Steady at 15

« Reply #19 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:49:43 pm »
NY wife hates me answering t these as she is sure that I am going to get myself blacklisted for insurance

Basically goes along the lines of (short version, you can string them along for quite a while) ask about their records, which accident it was, and as they start getting really keen tell them you were told that you had no claim in that case because...... the car was stolen, I was speeding, blew over a 100 on the breathalyser and there were traces of crack cocaine in my blood

They usually choose to hang up at that point

« Reply #20 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »
My hero is Tom Mabe

« Reply #21 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:58:05 pm »
I usually do something similar along the line of motor cycle, damaged for life, way over the speed limit accident with a car.  is it true they can get me compensation as I was told it was all my fault as the car was stationary with the engine off?

I have also been known to stage a home invasion whilst they are on the phone and shoot someone (newspaper slapped on kitchen worktop) before asking them to dal 999 for the ambulance!

« Reply #22 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:21:10 pm »
I had one 2 days after my accident. They knew my name, mobile number and that I had been knocked off my bike by a car.  I don't know how they got it. The people who had that info were the woman who knocked me off, the policewoman, Slater Gordon, a few friends and relations, and Admiral -the driver's insurers. That's quite a long list now I've written it down. I'm not sure why Admiral as a company would want to share that info with a company with whom they might have to go into negotiations, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily go for any disreputable employees they may have.

One particularly insidious thing was that they introduced themselves as being from 'the aftercare team' and I was expecting a call from a Slater Gordon solicitor.  This confused me for a while until I realized it was 'The Aftercare Team' was a bunch of ambulance chasers.  I've had a few more since but they seem to have stopped now.

Sorry, no advice as to how to stop them.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »
At a guess, Slater & Gordon spring to mind...
Steady at 15