Author Topic: 2017 AUK Reunion  (Read 22387 times)

Re: 2017 AUK Reunion
« Reply #50 on: 16 October, 2017, 09:49:00 pm »
"Imagine:-  “I’m going to plan a route from one place to another, starting at a time of my choice, and I’m going to choose my own controls. “

Sounds reasonable.

Bairn Again

« Reply #51 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:28:07 pm »
this thread is more entertaining than I imagine the AUK Reunion could ever be. 

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #52 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:59:31 pm »
"Imagine:-  “I’m going to plan a route from one place to another, starting at a time of my choice, and I’m going to choose my own controls. “
Sounds reasonable.

And I'm going to meet up with 50 or so like-minded people at the end of it.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #53 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:44:12 am »
<cough>

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #54 on: 17 October, 2017, 07:51:57 am »

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #55 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:33:50 pm »
<cough>

Strepsil ?

Don't mind if I do!

Excellence is expected.

Please do not disappoint!

« Reply #56 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:45:19 pm »
this thread is more entertaining than I imagine the AUK Reunion could ever be.

Tsk. Such witty banter. All the Reunion needs is your distinguished presence to elevate it *far* above the heights we see here.

(If plans - well, thoughts at the moment, nowt so solid as plans - come to fruition, geography might be a bit less of a challenge next year from your perspective, though doubtless others will find it a little far.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »
I am naïve. I don't understand why folk who seem so nice in real life see the need to snipe and bitch from their keyboards.
I wish they wouldn't.

« Reply #58 on: 17 October, 2017, 03:18:05 pm »
"..need to snipe and bitch.."

Uh oh! I think the snipes might be offended by this (not sure about the bitches), and you know how people get offended by the least triviality these days.  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #59 on: 17 October, 2017, 06:18:38 pm »
My inner pedant can differentiate between a colloquial verb and a noun...

« Reply #60 on: 17 October, 2017, 08:53:07 pm »
Oy! I nows this one, a pedant is someone wot pedals, innit like?

Martin

« Reply #61 on: 17 October, 2017, 09:18:15 pm »
Dear All (and especially , it was unwarranted) I'd like to apologise for my posts last night;

for me and many others the Reunion is a very important (and for those on the receiving end) an emotional event which marks a celebration of Long Distance Cycling and the many goals that it inspires. Those who don't attend but choose to criticise the event itself and the hard work that AUK members put it into making it happen are doing both a bit of a disservice IMO,

I would actually really like to go this year as it's a fantastic location with some inspiring Dinner Dart possibilities but have got a spot of Pope burning to attend

« Reply #62 on: 17 October, 2017, 11:03:09 pm »
"I'm going to apologise but I have no reason to apologise so I'll slam you again". Right, got that. Sometimes it's best to let sleepy dogs lie. :D

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #63 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:06:32 am »
In the past the dinner organiser has worked one or even two years ahead with hotel bookings and possible venues put to those attending the previous years dinner/agm (when they were run on the same weekend). A vote was cast deciding the preferred choice of venue and it was then booked. The Dinner darts were then added to the calendar as soon as the date was known and this provided a marker for organisers to avoid with their events. This all seemed to work very well and the general AUK membership knew a long way in advance of the reunion where it was to be the following year and what date. This way if they wished to stay somewhere other than the reunion hotel they could book well in advance and get the best room rates. I have said most of this in my comments at the time on the AUK forum(not sure if you've seen those). All of the above seems to have gone out of the window of late which is a shame,resulting in unhappy AUK's both general membership and definitely organisers who have been rendered unable to attend their own organisations end of year celebration. (Yes we were given the opportunity to change dates and begin rebooking halls,helpers,letting entrants know,etc etc etc etc just a few weeks before our events. Funnily enough we preferred to stay put :-\  ) The sooner next years reunion is booked and announced to everyone the better. The reunion is an 'event' the same as any other. Have a look at the 2018 calendar and you'll see that AUK organisers already have their events published and entries are already coming in.

(Obviously we all appreciate the reunion organisers efforts as I hope we do with all our organisers efforts?)

« Reply #64 on: 18 October, 2017, 11:38:55 am »
I'm enjoying this thread. Give me a few mins whilst I go and get some more popcorn  ;D

But, being serious though, I think the Reonion* lost its way when it was separated from the AGM and meaningful voting.

(* so named as it brings a tear to the eye)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #65 on: 18 October, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »
I'm enjoying this thread. Give me a few mins whilst I go and get some more popcorn  ;D

But, being serious though, I think the Reonion* lost its way when it was separated from the AGM and meaningful voting.

(* so named as it brings a tear to the eye)

Plus one.

And of cours there are no s always the old skool approach to get folks off their bikes and to the AGM part provide free tea and caik - it worked magic for the Marlboro AC

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #66 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:01:42 pm »
Accommodation for Thursday 2nd. Just booked Glen Usk hotel. £20 single room only. Metropole £98. Very nice but hey.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #67 on: 25 October, 2017, 05:52:25 pm »
Heather would like to have seen those she met on LEL, and in previous LEL years I'd have got the film ready.

But we've been going to the National Hedgelaying Competition for the last 35 years, and that's this weekend. The week after there's another competition that we've been going to for 25 years. The date doesn't fit into our schedule, which is a pity, as we've always liked the Metropole.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #68 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:58:33 am »
Just trying to sort out travel and getting a bit concerned about the Arriva Trains cycle policy! Says no reservations necessary but only two cycles per train. Anyone else on here looking at travelling from Crewe - yes I know it seems a long way round from London but it is the fastest route.
I am sure someone will suggest we just man up and face the Welsh hills and cycle in from somewhere but I am keen to visit the museum and it looks like Friday afternoon is the only window of opportunity for that, unless we can persuade them to do a late opening for a group - say 16.00-18.00 on Friday.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #69 on: 28 October, 2017, 11:18:21 am »
ATW (our local TOC here in Shropshire) are always very pragmatic and sensible in my experience and the two bike policy hardly ever gets enforced.

The risk on the Heart of Wales line to Llan'dod is that most of the time the trains are just single coach units. So not a lot of space. And there aren't that many trains per day (especially coming back on Sunday). Going there you will at least be getting on the train at it's starting point.

An alternative to the train all the way is to go to Newtown from where it's an easy 20 mile run down the A483 to Llan'dod.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #70 on: 28 October, 2017, 11:35:37 am »
Thanks for that, hadn't considered Newtown, will go to check the timetables. Is the A483 OK to ride? In the south east we would avoid the trunk roads like the plague but realise that in many other places they are fine (and often no worse than a B or even unclassified road round here!)
On Sunday we were considering heading over the hills to Hereford as that offers through trains back to London, and intermediate options via Newport and Birmingham, so overall more than one per hour.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #71 on: 28 October, 2017, 12:55:04 pm »
Just trying to sort out travel and getting a bit concerned about the Arriva Trains cycle policy! Says no reservations necessary but only two cycles per train. Anyone else on here looking at travelling from Crewe - yes I know it seems a long way round from London but it is the fastest route.
I am sure someone will suggest we just man up and face the Welsh hills and cycle in from somewhere but I am keen to visit the museum and it looks like Friday afternoon is the only window of opportunity for that, unless we can persuade them to do a late opening for a group - say 16.00-18.00 on Friday.

I will be on that train, with Giraffe. He will join at 11.41 from Milton Keynes and we'll travel together thereafter.
I'll be in a wheelchair and chairs supposedly have priority but we'll cosy up!

Those Arriva trains have one or (luxury!) two coaches...

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #72 on: 28 October, 2017, 01:27:44 pm »
The one coach trains (class 153s)have a wheelchair space at one end of the carriage and luggage/cycle space at the other. Two coach units (class 150s) only tend to make an appearance on the Heart of Wales in the summer. Shared disabled/luggage/cycle space with tip up seats at one end of the train. Going towards Llandod you'll be getting on at the starting point so you should be fine. Things can be a bit nervous coming back as you never know if the train will turn up already full or not, and it's a long wait until the next one.

The A483 is fine to ride on from Newtown (features on the return leg of the Bryan Chapman these days). Long but gentle drag out of town for the first 8 miles or so but then it's all downhill. Given it takes 2 hours to get from Shrewsbury to Llandod on the HoW it doesn't take that much longer overall. Shrewsbury - Newtown trains usually every 2 hours and generally have 4 coaches so there's a lot more space for bikes. You may be better going via Brum than Crewe as you can do that with just the one change (International is better than New Street)

« Reply #73 on: 28 October, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »

I will be on that train, with Giraffe. He will join at 11.41 from Milton Keynes and we'll travel together thereafter.
I

=                =             =               =               %

Glad Giraffe attending.  A great events secretary who covered the entire AUK networks of events.  When he sadly retired a whole army of mini PCs were needed.!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 29 October, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »
Giraffe and I will be staying on Sunday night as an extra.

The Metropole just sent me an email with this picture.

Looks SPOOKY to me!

Happy Halloween!