Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 42780 times)

Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #250 on: 20 September, 2017, 04:14:54 pm »
This ride came back to bite me yesterday when the speeding fine I thought I'd picked up on the M25 turned up.   

Turned into an expensive weekend.
Can you get the 3 points converted into AUK points?  ;D
No - he was outside the lower time limit
Eddington Number = 132

rob

« Reply #251 on: 20 September, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
I'm still sulking.   Had a clean licence for about 5 years.

Be gentle with me.

« Reply #252 on: 20 September, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »

Be gentle with me.

So not the first time then?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #253 on: 20 September, 2017, 06:15:23 pm »
Funnily enough, I was wondering about the enforcement of variable speed limits as I drove back home down the M6 the other day, when I appeared to be the only person observing the 40 limit - everyone else seemed to be doing at least 60, at a guess.

I've never heard of anyone actually getting done for breaking a variable limit before.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

« Reply #254 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:28:20 pm »

Be gentle with me.

I feel like I'm digging myself a bit deeper here.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #255 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:39:52 pm »
Random banter aside, why would anyone complete that nightmare journey and, not send their brevet card back to the organiser? I've exchanged a few mails with Tom tonight and, he is still waiting for cards to come back - err why???? Surely there should be a time limit after which your effectively marked down as DNF, it's bad enough that they will have to disappear in to the wheels of paris/ BRM validation,  without having to wait for people to stick their cards in an envelope.

Lots of possibles:
- Too knackered to not lose your brevidence on the way home.
- Real life* providing distratctions,
- too busy riding bike somewhere else,
- too busy planning a speed-awareness course ...

*I've heard that some people have Real Lives more important than an SR. Barely credible, but there you go.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #256 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:52:09 pm »

Be gentle with me.

Mmmm! I can take that spade if you want ?

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #257 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:02:10 pm »

Be gentle with me.

if it makes you feel a little better my fixed penalty from a fixed camera on the a47 that got me on the way out on friday evening arrived today, so yes I agree, travelodge, umpteen maccydees and, a rather sad breakfast at the green welly, it was a very expensive experience. Which until the news of the accident regardless of the weather, I had totally enjoyed.

« Reply #258 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »
All this talk about speeding drivers makes me wonder if there's any news about the poor buggers injured during the ride.

You know, the Flatlands...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

billyam998

« Reply #259 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:59:42 pm »
All this talk about speeding drivers makes me wonder if there's any news about the poor buggers injured during the ride.

You know, the Flatlands...

No no news apparently, it seems there has been some kind of a block on any further info being released, although I'm not sure why all it seems to be doing is fuelling speculation. Anyhow for the record I was doing 48 miles an hour in one of those all of a sudden 40 for no reason "accident reduction schemes" empty road, good visibility, not really caning it, just tootling along thinking about the route etc and, out of nowhere there is a camera, I don't often use that road but, the M1 was apparently blocked so lots going across country to the a1, so I guess it wasn't just me that it got. Yes I agree it may appear a little hypocritical to complain about speeding fines while commenting on a serious RTA however, without labouring the point to much I've never had an accident since I wrote off my ford capri too many years ago to remember. . . . . .

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #260 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:11:04 pm »
one of those all of a sudden 40 for no reason "accident reduction schemes" empty road, good visibility

It's worth looking into how smart motorways work. It's never for "no reason". The actual blockage may be some miles up the road, so by slowing you down now, by the time you get there, the road will be clear. You may think this is evidence that the speed reduction is pointless but it's actually evidence that it has done what it was intended to do. Jams are usually caused by people driving too fast and too close together, not by people driving too slow.

(I'm only continuing this line of discussion to distract attention from discussing other matters which are best not discussed here.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

billyam998

« Reply #261 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:37:21 pm »
one of those all of a sudden 40 for no reason "accident reduction schemes" empty road, good visibility

(I'm only continuing this line of discussion to distract attention from discussing other matters which are best not discussed here.)
Yes, let's not discuss it any more, I mean, it could have been any 4 of us, couldn't it? We really shouldn't talk about the fact that I rode perfectly happy and carefree along the same stretch of road an hour earlier and, had no ill effects, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? Ignorance is bliss - isn't it? (sic)

« Reply #262 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:46:04 pm »
I believe Tom has posted on the sister thread to this about families of those involved not wanting information about the incident promulgated and Tom asked their wishes to be respected.  I have no problems with that stance.

Other folk may have a different view.

billyam998

« Reply #263 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:11:00 am »
I believe Tom has posted on the sister thread to this about families of those involved not wanting information about the incident promulgated and Tom asked their wishes to be respected.  I have no problems with that stance.

Other folk may have a different view.
I'm fully aware of that and, I'm not after specific details of those individuals involved - it's none of my business however, what we seem to have now is a complete vacuum left by the fact that discussion of the subject has now effectively been barred. Which is imho quite sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #264 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:19:31 pm »
It seems odd that we're not even allowed to know who it was that was involved.

« Reply #265 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »
It seems odd that we should expect to be told who it was that was involved.

I work under the assumption that if I knew the people involved then I would have heard about it by some other channel. I haven't ergo I don't.

I wish them a swift recovery whoever they are.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #266 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
We know the outline of what happened.

Greenbank's comments are very relevant and I'm sure that folk who know those involved are aware of their circumstances. As for the rest of us then we can wish them well and can wait until an appropriate time for information to be revealed. Anything else might be interpreted as the equivalent of 'rubber necking'.

I support the stance by those involved, Tom, and presumably AUK, to be acceptable. I also note the names of those involved have not been published by media sources who appear to be respecting the wishes of those involved and their families.

Nothing to see here, move on.

« Reply #267 on: 21 September, 2017, 06:30:41 pm »
>I work under the assumption that if I knew the people involved then I would have heard about it by some other channel.

What a strange assumption.

I know lots of riders I've met on Audax rides over the years but it's almost certain I would only know if something had happened to them via this place or months later via the CTC mag or Arrivée. I would be amazed if someone thought to telephone or e-mail me about them - why should they?

Anyway, each to their own...

LMT

« Reply #268 on: 21 September, 2017, 06:55:30 pm »
We know the outline of what happened.

Greenbank's comments are very relevant and I'm sure that folk who know those involved are aware of their circumstances. As for the rest of us then we can wish them well and can wait until an appropriate time for information to be revealed. Anything else might be interpreted as the equivalent of 'rubber necking'.

I support the stance by those involved, Tom, and presumably AUK, to be acceptable. I also note the names of those involved have not been published by media sources who appear to be respecting the wishes of those involved and their families.

Nothing to see here, move on.

Agreed. Should respect the wishes of those involved.

billyam998

« Reply #269 on: 21 September, 2017, 07:16:43 pm »
I appear to have stirred up a hornets nest, that was not my intention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #270 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:37:15 pm »
I appear to have stirred up a hornets nest, that was not my intention.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure no one here will think badly of you.  Understandably, many of us are shocked by what has happened and, of course, we all hope that no one we "know" is involved, even if that relationship might be as superficial as recognising a jersey or saddlebag. But the most important people are those who were involved and Tomsk, the event organiser.  I gather that the latter is being excellently supported and advised by AUK and I'm sure there are good, possibly legal, reasons for the families to want to remain anonymous for the time being.

Regardless, I am sure that none will be in any doubt of the good wishes and, for those who do so, prayers of the Audax community*

* a term I do not use lightly
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #271 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
This ride came back to bite me yesterday when the speeding fine I thought I'd picked up on the M25 turned up.   

Turned into an expensive weekend.
Can you get the 3 points converted into AUK points?  ;D

No but your driving licence will be validated as well as the brevet card
 ;D

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #272 on: 23 September, 2017, 07:27:54 am »
Well that was supposed to be an easy 600 to complete this year's SR.  I've been doing a bare minimum of riding since PBP2015 while concentrating on kayaking (didn't know I was a multitalented athlete, did you?), and so it was always going to be a bit of a struggle.  But every calendar event brings a different set of experiences.

Northwards went mostly to plan.  The wind appeared to be easterly, so more a side- than tailwind, but quite helpful on the Spalding to Boston section.  I yo-yoed in front of and behind several riders as pace and control stop times varied.  Nutrition was less than perfect, and I had to resort to on-the-go food from my saddlebag more than planned.  I intended to have breakfast at Red Lodge, but it appeared that the cook was waiting for her grandma to knit her a new stove, so I continued to the Whittlesey Spoons.  I intended to get a dessert at the Boston Spoons but settled for a drink given the number of people in there.  There were a couple of torrential downpours before and after Boston, where I had to shelter until the rain had eased.  The second time I sought shelter in the lee of a couple of pub outbuildings in the middle of nowhere.  I was greeted by a huge Alsation, barking loudly and clawing at the chicken-wire front of its kennel.  The publican appeared and, to my surprise, invited me to shelter inside the pub even though it wasn't open.  A little later the checkout lady at the Kirton Spar showed a similar kindness when she gave riders a stool and bottle crates to sit on while eating in the courtyard in front of the shop.  I picked up two packets of fig rolls to replace my on-the-go food and a packet of apple turnovers.  I cannot recommend the latter - instead of apple they contained some congealed artificial apple-flavoured goo. I rode the next few miles in constant fear of seeing them again.

I soon caught up with a rider I'd met in the Spar courtyard.  His GPS captive battery had expired and he was trying to navigate by routesheet and headtorch.  He asked if he could follow me to take advantage of my GPS navigation.  His name was Richard, came from Torquay, and was on his first 600, which he needed for an SR.  We made good progress to Goole where we controlled and ate at McDonalds.  I said I intended to head South immediately after eating to reach Gainsborough at least before sleeping.  Richard was quite happy with this and accompanied me from Goole.  I was pretty convinced we'd sleep in Gainsborough.  In 2014 I'd had to sleep al-fresco in a village before Lincoln, but this time the ground was wet and it was likely to rain.  After controlling at the service station in Gainsborough we slept for a couple of hours under the entrance canopy of the B&Q further down the road.

It now seemed that I'd have Richard as a riding partner for the remaining hours of darkness.  I didn't mind this but was aware that the further we rode together the more a bond I'd feel and increasingly obliged to accompany him without knowing much about his audaxing capabilities.  It turned out that my anxiety was unfounded and we became useful allies when it came to navigating around the closed road section after Lincoln and into the fenland headwind.  What sealed my confidence was when Richard told me he'd completed the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race when he was 17; no problem with endurance there.

Our experience of the road closure was similar to Tomsk's description upthread.  Richard was able to remember the police officer's description, but it did seem a long way to Bloxholm Lane and a very long way to Scopwick; I would certainly have taken a wrong turn if riding alone.  We controlled at the Sleaford Post Office ATM at 7:15 and went in search of food, deciding to wait until the Spoons opened at 8, where we dined on a large breakfast with several other randonneurs.

After Sleaford we started to take turns on the front into the wind.  Tomsk and another rider passed us as we stopped to eat.  We then caught them up to form a foursome, but Tomsk soon had to stop to take a call on his mobile.  It soon became apparent that Jonathan was going through a bad patch, so Richard and I just said to hook on and let us ride on the front.  It soon became clear that we'd finish as a threesome and Jonathan recovered sufficiently to take turns on the front.  When one stopped we all stopped, confident in the knowledge that we'd make it in time.

After eating at the Green Welly (my first time) we took Wilkyboy's route from Cambridge to Dunmow, to be greeted by the man himself, shouting encouragement in Girton.  We reached the Arrivee at about 19:30, where I later handed my brevidence to Tomsk in the Angel and Harp.  A really good day out.  I've not ridden that far with others before, apart from a couple of Easter Arrows.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #273 on: 23 September, 2017, 10:30:45 am »
Great ride report Brymmy :-)

rob

« Reply #274 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:07:35 pm »
Card came back at the weekend with a very well worded note from Tomsk.   Thanks for organising and I look forward to riding round in the opposite direction next year.

Incidentally, after sending the form back to Kent police they wrote back to say that the speed camera picture was not clear enough to prosecute.   Bit odd given that it was clear enough to pick out my numberplate.   Lucky escape anyway.