Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 42794 times)

Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #50 on: 30 August, 2017, 10:42:07 pm »
But then I thought...maybe I'll dare to be a little audacious.. so I'm in.
:thumbsup:

New aerobike or trusty LEL steed is the only question?
You can't say you have a new bike then not bring it now! Surely this has to be the ride for an aerobike if there is a 600 that fits that bill!  ;D

I've gone as far as putting the Aero Bars on and upping my gear which now seems very hard work up hill....I have a week of commuting to figure it out I suppose.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #51 on: 30 August, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »

You can't say you have a new bike then not bring it now! Surely this has to be the ride for an aerobike if there is a 600 that fits that bill!  ;D

I've gone as far as putting the Aero Bars on and upping my gear which now seems very hard work up hill....I have a week of commuting to figure it out I suppose.

I`m liking both your aero improvements, my aero strategy is to ride closely behind you two :thumbsup:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #52 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:22:48 am »

I`m liking both your aero improvements, my aero strategy is to ride closely behind you two :thumbsup:

Win win... it's a little known fact that having someone behind makes you more aerodynamic... something to do with reduced turbulence at the wake hence why the really lazy riders are in the middle of the peloton, rather than at the back

« Reply #53 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:28:12 am »
I've got aerobars in the garage, but fitting them around my barbag is a problem 😉
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #54 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:24:11 am »

Win win... it's a little known fact that having someone behind makes you more aerodynamic... something to do with reduced turbulence at the wake hence why the really lazy riders are in the middle of the peloton, rather than at the back
;D I spend a lot of time at the back sheltering others from tailwinds. I rarely get thanks for my efforts!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #55 on: 31 August, 2017, 11:19:46 am »
I've got aerobars in the garage, but fitting them around my barbag is a problem 😉
Fit the aerobars  if you go faster you won't need as much stuff

Eddington  127miles, 170km

rob

« Reply #56 on: 31 August, 2017, 12:48:26 pm »
I had thoughts of using the TT bike.   It would be a big advantage in the fens.

Unfortunately it doesn't have 'guards and has been partially dismantled pending some potential upgrades for next year.

Will aim to travel light as I have some off-route accommodation sorted.   There shouldn't be too much riding in the dark.

« Reply #57 on: 31 August, 2017, 04:52:11 pm »
I'm planning on a lightweight strategy and I have the aerobars on but I actually doubt I will be any quicker at present.....I'm not planning on sleeping which may actually be part of the problem to be fair.

Ah well....my only real target is to get back in daylight hours on the Sunday.

Phil W

« Reply #58 on: 31 August, 2017, 05:33:47 pm »
I'm down for this.  Got a new larger rack pack to fit to the recumbent. Got my eye on a bus shelter above Lincoln having spied those on a DIY last September. 

Those one's up on the ridge are not very good if the wind is up and prevailing SW - the wind goes right in them. I would choose a village before the hill, on wait until after Lincoln - Wilky boys GPS has the later ones marked. Great that you will be getting out for a ride!

After being awakened by the boys in blue last year I`ve got my eye on a secluded church/graveyard for a short nap.

I hadn`t realised you actually had to get off the bike to sleep Phil, don`t you just lean against a wall, lie back and nod off?

Well the ventisit seat cover comes off and that works well as a mat. So I just need a bivvy or silver blanket to add to that to get comfy. If I had a sturdier kick stand I could just sleep on the bike you're right.

Noted about those bus shelters and maybe getting what hills there are out the way before a kip makes sense on the recumbent. Churches are good as you can usually get inside them if you know which door to try, even if they seem locked.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #59 on: 31 August, 2017, 05:59:58 pm »
There's a campsite by the canal after the turn around at shithole Goole.

« Reply #60 on: 31 August, 2017, 07:46:19 pm »
I rode a 600 DIY Perm last weekend and managed a comfortable sleep in Gainsborough on the grassed area alongside the river near the Petrol Station.  It was a dry night and not too cold so sleeping beneath the stars was most pleasant.  Down the steps next to the building on the corner of Bridge Street and Flood Road A631 (I think the building is called "The Bridge") you'll find some useful grass slopes.

« Reply #61 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:04:24 pm »

OK OK, I'll bring it.

As for somewhere to sleep, I'd prefer not to sleep, but Ill settle for 2 combat kips wherever i find myself. People kept waking me up on the Cambridge busway last time!

Phil W

« Reply #62 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »
The only time I planned not to sleep on a 600 was the 2015 Windsor Chester Windsor. But it started to bucket it down, I had tonnes of time in hand, so i diverted to one of the sleep stops to miss the rain.

If the forecast is dry overnight and I am not too sleepy I may ride on through the night with aim of a catnap here or there in the Sunday sunshine (there that has cursed it)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #63 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:38:02 pm »
I'm down for this.  Got a new larger rack pack to fit to the recumbent. Got my eye on a bus shelter above Lincoln having spied those on a DIY last September. 

Churches are good as you can usually get inside them if you know which door to try, even if they seem locked.

I can see your rehabilitation from a life of burglary may experience a setback on this ride.

Phil W

« Reply #64 on: 01 September, 2017, 02:12:21 pm »
Life of prayer Carlos, life of prayer. I always like to break into Christian churches and pray to Mecca. One day my prayers will be answered and I will win the bingo.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #65 on: 01 September, 2017, 02:56:32 pm »
Life of prayer Carlos, life of prayer. I always like to break into Christian churches and pray to Mecca. One day my prayers will be answered and I will win the bingo.

Of course, how could I doubt you? I hope your prayers are answered and you're soon shouting out bingo. If not, at least the communion wine shall provide solace.

Phil W

« Reply #66 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »

Of course, how could I doubt you? I hope your prayers are answered and you're soon shouting out bingo. If not, at least the communion wine shall provide solace.

Yes and we might gain insights on feeding 5,000 cyclists with a couple of loaves and some fish.

« Reply #67 on: 03 September, 2017, 06:57:40 pm »
Oh bother. I went for a 200 DIY yesterday and felt brilliant until my knee feel apart. ITB friction syndrome has hit, so I will not be joining the AMCE self-flagellation festival next weekend. I was *kinda* looking forward to it too. Hopefully, with some work, I can get my knee better before the end of the month as I am on 49 points and want to get to 50... Happy riding all!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #68 on: 03 September, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »
Oh bother. I went for a 200 DIY yesterday and felt brilliant until my knee feel apart. ITB friction syndrome has hit, so I will not be joining the AMCE self-flagellation festival next weekend. I was *kinda* looking forward to it too. Hopefully, with some work, I can get my knee better before the end of the month as I am on 49 points and want to get to 50... Happy riding all!

Oh no, was looking forward to your cheery grin, banter and alter ego "ghost rider". Hope you`re better soon. I`ll be extra miserable and grumpy now :(

Er, you haven`t got you`re regular halfway hotel room going free, have you?

« Reply #69 on: 03 September, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »

Do you remember how good I am at booking hotels? No, I was going to do the nod at Goole and smash face onto table at Sleaford routine. Such fun!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #70 on: 03 September, 2017, 10:50:12 pm »
IMPORTANT GPX UPDATE

I just updated the GPX files to bring them under 10,000 points — this is an arbitrary limit imposed on some Garmin devices by Garmin's strange software engineers.  PhilW just drew my attention to the fact that both the north and south GPX files were slightly over the 10k-point-limit.  You might want to download them again, sorry.

http://www.camaudax.uk/tom/the-flatlands-600-2017/

I am in the process of reviewing all of my tracks against this limitation, but at the moment it only seems to be an issue on GPX tracks over about 300km.

I have no idea if this also affects TCXes, but it is possible to load the GPX and TCX side-by-side, just in case.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #71 on: 04 September, 2017, 07:39:45 am »

Do you remember how good I am at booking hotels? No, I was going to do the nod at Goole and smash face onto table at Sleaford routine. Such fun!

You really are conjuring the "spirit" of the ride in my mind. It`s great to be miserable all week thinking about it rather than just experiencing the 40 hours of mental anquish at the weekend.

Are you sure you`ve got a painful knee?

« Reply #72 on: 04 September, 2017, 04:44:50 pm »
You really are conjuring the "spirit" of the ride in my mind. It`s great to be miserable all week thinking about it rather than just experiencing the 40 hours of mental anquish at the weekend.

Is there anyone planning on enjoying this, or do we all need the points?

Aren't there charities for this kind of thing?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: 04 September, 2017, 09:18:33 pm »

I need a fixed 600 for my SFW. That's always fun across the Fens in a big enough gear  :thumbsup:

Also the Wetherspoons Manoeuvre:     

#1. The Moon Under Water at Boston

#2. Pack Horse Inn, Sleaford

#3. The George, Whittlesey, on the way out too if you fancy it

And the Angel and Harp Arrivee...that should do it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #74 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:07:24 am »

If the results of the Weather Bagel that I ran yesterday are accurate this might actually be OK. Sure, a bit of rain but it said there was a tail wind most of the way home.

I never trust forecasts and I know that in the Fens things 'change' but there seems to be hope.

Rain after last year and LEL doesn't bother me...another day of headwinds like LEL (or worse) would potentially see me curling up in a ball next to the road.

On the plus side I have made some changes on the bike which seem to have helped the couple of small problems I had so I think I am going to stick with the ~78 inch gear and see how things pan out.

#painistemporarygloryisforever