Author Topic: Best value bike of any type - available through Cyclescheme up to £1000?  (Read 2016 times)

Just considering buying a last n+1 via "Cyclescheme" before I retire.  I'm interested in all suggestions whether it be touring, road, cx, mtb, hybrid, SS, crusier, anything with 2 wheels... I'm just looking for the best value bike £1000 or less will buy.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Brompton as second hand value remains high for you to flog it!

Brompton as second hand value remains high for you to flog it!
Very true... though there's already a Brompton in the stable. 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Best value bike of any type - available through Cyclescheme up to £1000?
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:29:38 am »
Some people buy one every year and flog it at the end.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:46:41 am »
Some people buy one every year and flog it at the end.

Absolutely - we have a customer that is buying his last Cyclescheme bike from us today  :thumbsup: before he retires in about a year's time - he's had 3 or 4 bikes on the scheme in the past.

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:01:43 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by best value? Do you mean one that you can save the most tax on, or one with the best resale value, or what?

PS, if you are on a final salary pension scheme, getting a bike this way just before you retire will reduce your pension (a bit).
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:55:29 am »
I'm not looking to resell the bike a profit, I'm just looking for the best value bike in terms of the quality of frame, wheels and components.  I've just over a year till retirement so no impact to pension.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:04:27 am »
I'm not looking to resell the bike a profit, I'm just looking for the best value bike in terms of the quality of frame, wheels and components.  I've just over a year till retirement so no impact to pension.

Best value would be based around what you intend to use if for, no point having the best value time trial bike if you just want to do cycle touring.

In terms of a bike that will last a long time, I'd personally go for a steel bike with disk brakes.  The steel because when looked after it lasts for ever (do we still worry about frame fatigue life with ali frames?), and disk brakes because I much prefer them to rim brakes.

Something like the Genesis Croix de fur springs to mind. Versatile, rugged, built to last. Or perhaps a Surly Disk trucker...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »
Best value would be based around what you intend to use if for, no point having the best value time trial bike if you just want to do cycle touring.
J

Like many others I actually have enough bikes to meet my needs for specific disciplines and I'm just being frivolous in taking advantage of cyclescheme to buy another.  I've never ridden a time trial but wouldn't rule it out if a particularly outstanding vfm TT machine came to my attention.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2017, 02:24:26 pm »
You probably won't save much money through cycle scheme unless you are a high rate taxpayer. Also the scheme provider may charge an admin fee, which the shop might pass on to you. Maybe better just shopping around in the sales.

For good value, I'd look at Planet X, or Alpkit Sonder, or Evans Pinnacle. Or a Boardman from Halfords, but you can get a 10% discount with Cycling UK / British Cycling membership anyway, which may be a better deal.

« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:14:54 pm »
  I've just over a year till retirement so no impact to pension.

If you are on a final salary pension scheme (NHS or similar) then you need a full year after the cycle scheme ends to regain your full final salary benefits.

Ps I'm just over a year till retirement too so we can celebrate together!
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »
There's no final salary pension concerns and as a higher rate tax payer Cyclescheme is a worthwhile option.  It seems that Decathlon are continuing to offer the value for money that I'm looking for. The Rockrider 8.3 I bought from them through Cyclescheme 3 years ago has become my favourite bike of all and even got me round this year's LEL surviving a crash that would have probably been terminal on a road bike. This is why I like to keep an open mind on what the next bike might be.

« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2017, 10:36:21 am »
At the road end of the OP's spectrum the BTwin Triban 540 takes some beating in terms of tech spec and versatility for £679 👍

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:48:52 pm »
So, having narrowed down my options to a CF framed road bike with suitable geometry for my 200cm inflexible frame I have finally opted for this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon-tiagra-2017-adventure-road-bike/ which I do think is pretty good value for money.

Although I've yet to receive the bike I must commend Wiggle for their efficiency in processing the order through their dedicated "cycletowork" web site.

« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2017, 08:13:42 am »
Good choice!

I was considering a gravel or adventure bike with discs for winter and that was on the radar as it had received some very good reviews.

Enjoy!