Author Topic: The Cambridge Autumnals 100 + 200 — Saturday 21 October 2017  (Read 11783 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
The Cambridge Autumnals 100 + 200 — Saturday 21 October 2017
« on: 20 September, 2017, 01:07:16 am »
We're again running The Cambridge Autumnals 100km and 200km events for the new Audax UK season, starting from Girton, just on the northern fringe of Cambridge.  These are ideal rides to give the winter bike a shakedown, as the routes are straightforward and will only be seriously challenging if the weather's up, and are scenic in the sense of having lots of scenery (but not too hilly).  I've only ever ridden these routes on fixed-gear and I can confirm that both routes are fixed-friendly, so if your winter-steed's a fixie ...  ;)

The 200km Cambridge Autumnal heads due east to the historic and picturesque castle-and-market town of Framlingham in Suffolk, as frequented at about 2am just before dawn on the Dunwich Dynamo.  The first stage is a straight 101km stage via Newmarket, Bury St Edmunds and Debenham to Framlingham, but you can pass straight through without stopping and carry on all the way to Fram without putting a foot down — a prize to anyone who manages to do this!  After a light lunch (or a heavy one if that takes your fancy), the return route gets a little lumpier with a crossways return via Stowmarket to the Maglia Rosso bike shop + café in Hawstead, where Alex will stamp your brevet.  It's then a laney run all the way back to Brinkley and the Six Mile Bottom descent back to Cambridge.  Unfortunately we miss the Great Framlingham Sausage Fest this year.  Just one free commercial control plus one manned control (a receipt is also okay), zero infos.  Details for the 200 here.

The 100km Cambridge Autumnal climbs up onto the chalk massif via Six Mile Bottom and heads fairly directly to the first control at Great Thurlow, where you'll be met by Alex and his stamp.  The next stage hits a series of very narrow, deserted lanes to cross from Suffolk to Essex, visits everyone's favourite medieval Thaxted and heads on to the historic Saffron Walden for lunch.  The return is over a couple of noticeable climbs to Balsham to then blast down the 7km descent to Fulbourn and Cambridge.  We think this is a delightful route for those not yet confident at 200km in possibly wintry conditions — although who knows, it may be sunny!  8)  One checkpoint, two commercial controls, one info.  Details for the 100 here.

We will be serving hot and cold refreshments at the start, and something hot with plenty of Mrs W's homemade cake at the arrivée  :thumbsup:  Most of it will be vegetarian and much of it will be vegan — ask if you're not sure.

The start is easy to get to by train from London and the 8am start of the 200 allows enough time for London-based riders to catch the first train from King's Cross.  Girton is also easy to get to by car.  Hopefully many will simply cycle to the start.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: The Cambridge Autumnals 100 + 200 — Saturday 21 October 2017
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:13:49 am »
Cake!!  :thumbsup:

Still undecided whether to ECE the 100 or drive and ride the 200...  plenty of time still to consider it though...  :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:36:36 am »
I'm in for the 200. I already know what I'll be ordering in a favourite coffee shop in Framlingham.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:39:44 am »
I'm in for the 200. I already know what I'll be ordering in a favourite coffee shop in Framlingham.

If it's the one on the RBT where we had the visitation, they are no longer in teh same ownership and now more a fashion shop with a kettle... :(
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:56:35 am »

If it's the one on the RBT where we had the visitation, they are no longer in teh same ownership and now more a fashion shop with a kettle... :(

Thanks for the heads up. Looking at Streetview, both owners appear depending upon which photo you look at; Kitty's cafe and Paddy and Scott's cafe. Might need to find a new favourite cafe then!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:07:01 pm »
Yes, there is a bakery just next to it, but it wasn't that great apparently.  IIRC there is a large supermarket in teh one-way with a cafe, through not sure what it's like....

It might also be teh sausage festival again of course... in which case there might be street food related options combined with an ATM receipt......  Isn't there a cafe with a vinyl record theme on one of these rides?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »
It might also be teh sausage festival again of course...

Nick has already advised it doesn't clash this year, which is a shame as that could have been a decent option.

Not sure about the vinyl record themed cafe, not one that I have come across.

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:14:19 pm »
In Framlingham, Paddy and Scotts have now closed down which leaves only 221b open on the roundabout. The only problem is it might be a bit busy to cater for everyone arriving early afternoon.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:16:05 pm »
Yes, there is a bakery just next to it, but it wasn't that great apparently.  IIRC there is a large supermarket in teh one-way with a cafe, through not sure what it's like....

It might also be teh sausage festival again of course... in which case there might be street food related options combined with an ATM receipt......  Isn't there a cafe with a vinyl record theme on one of these rides?

It was Kitty's, then Paddy & Scott's.  I don't know what it is now, but probably neither.  221B — the bakery opposite — is okay, but I always preferred Paddy & Scott's — there always seemed to be other cyclists there to chat with.  There's a large East of England Cooperative in the one-way, I've not stopped there before.  There are plenty of other options in the town square.  Alternatively, stop and eat at the butcher's/delicatessen in East Soham and then bounce through Fram grabbing an ATM receipt.  And you're never far from a pub in Suffolk  :thumbsup:

There's a chippy as well, as you leave Framlingham, although please check the receipt carefully for place + time + date!

I've not come across a vinyl-themed café anywhere ... cycling in vinyl doesn't sound that cool!  ;D

No sausage fest this year, unfortunately — that's on the 8th, sorry  :(

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:18:10 pm »
I think it was Common Room Cafe in Framlingham (from my first Audax I rode from Blaxhall)

https://goo.gl/maps/5txhYh8u2732
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:23:37 pm »

It was Kitty's, then Paddy & Scott's.  I don't know what it is now, but probably neither. ........................

We came across the new owners on the Suffolk Lanes Extravaganza - its a women's fashion boutique with a coffee machine which the owners husband knew how to operate, they had some cake but that was it.  Reports from the rides who went to the bakery were it was poor choice but that could have just been time of day.  There's about 3-4 other cafes around the corner including the common room.  Challenge is finding somewhere in the narrow market square paths to put bikes.
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:43:40 pm »

It was Kitty's, then Paddy & Scott's.  I don't know what it is now, but probably neither. ........................

We came across the new owners on the Suffolk Lanes Extravaganza - its a women's fashion boutique with a coffee machine which the owners husband new how to operate, they had some cake but that was it. 

Excellent, put a shout out to Andy C3333333 and tedshred (aka Kate and Naomi), they can buy their kit for next years Easter Arrow :thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:53:04 pm »
The cafe just around the corner, opposite the library, that plays vinyl is good but smallish, it may get swamped, difficult for a quick turnaround.

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2017, 02:12:22 pm »
Will seven spare inner tubes be enough this year, do you think?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2017, 02:42:26 pm »
Will seven spare inner tubes be enough this year, do you think?

Yeah, we only had 5 punctures, a slashed sidewall and a broken gear cable last year :facepalm:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:09:10 am »
I'm expecting we'll miss the farmers flaying the hedges this year — fingers crossed!  I'd be interested to know whether the tubeless-brigade had better luck than the tubed in that 1km section of pins'n'needles the farmer kindly flayed into the lane.  FWIW, I rode tubed on the route check last year, got a puncture — but it was a flint that had worn down the tube through the puncture-protection layer, NOTHING to do with thorns and hedges  ::-)

As for swamping cafés, the spread of times will be probably 2-3 hours for all riders at Framlingham — I think everyone will find somewhere to sit, just not all in the same establishment at the same time.  The capacity is definitely there in the town.  Last year, many riders chose to break the 100km first leg by stopping at Greggs et al in Bury St Edmunds, and that did help to spread the field by the time they got to Framlingham  :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #16 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:31:36 pm »
I'm hoping to ride the route tomorrow to check everything — I'll have to ride it again in October to be included on the finish list, but I have a busy few weeks on the bike ahead and not sure if I'll be able to do so.  I'll let you know how I get on  :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #17 on: 04 October, 2017, 09:31:42 am »
I rode the route last weekend and checked the routesheet and GPS files — I bumped into loads of riders on The Suffolk Byways and even got flagged down by the controller in Framlingham ;)  I have made the final amends to both and they are up on the website.

I hope to ride the 100 sometime next week.

Still room for more on both events.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #18 on: 13 October, 2017, 11:01:18 am »
I've just emailed all entrants on both events with information about the ride.  If you didn't receive an email then please let me know ASAP.

There is still room for a few more; entries close on Sunday.

I'm getting excited now  :)

« Reply #19 on: 15 October, 2017, 02:29:41 pm »
I've just entered the 200. I'll be arriving by car but I'm not familiar with Cambridge. Reading the website, it suggests the car park at the Arrivee is out of action for a football match later in the day. If that's the case, could you recommend anywhere suitable to park? I've no objection to parking and cycling a few km to the Arrivee.

Thanks.

« Reply #20 on: 15 October, 2017, 02:42:19 pm »
It's only the car park immediately in front of the hall that is out of bounds. There's a large field accessible at the back, with helpers directing the way. Only if it's particularly wet would the field not be in use, in which case I'm sure Nick would be communicating that fact closer to the event, and what options people would have.

dod

« Reply #21 on: 15 October, 2017, 02:59:07 pm »
If adding a few km to your distance is no problem, the Longstanton Park-and-Ride site might be an option. There will be plenty of parking spaces and it's about 8km from the Arrivee, most of which is on the Cambridge Busway cycle track so it's traffic-free and a very pleasant route.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Longstanton+Park-and-Ride+(Stop+1),+Longstanton/Girton+Parish+Council+Pavillion+Hall,+Cambridge/@52.2528967,0.095552,607m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47d8743157dd5025:0xa03a8a350f0e7cff!2m2!1d0.054382!2d52.291588!1m5!1m1!1s0x47d876da4e21ad95:0x9952dee17648898d!2m2!1d0.0848705!2d52.2400867!3e1

« Reply #22 on: 15 October, 2017, 03:16:49 pm »
Thanks - very helpful!

« Reply #23 on: 15 October, 2017, 07:27:27 pm »
Just entered the 100 km event. Will there be sufficient parking for those intending to travel by car?

dim

« Reply #24 on: 15 October, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »
my very first Audax .... I'm only doing the 100, but am looking forward to it ....  looks like a very nice route
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle