Author Topic: A simple to use GPS ?  (Read 3339 times)

A simple to use GPS ?
« on: 21 September, 2017, 03:52:22 pm »
Dear all,

I am taking up Geocaching again after a long break and also my cycling.

To that end and as I am now living in an area I am not familiar with yet I am thinking of a GPS I can use for both activities. Yes a so called smart phone will do for the Geo side of things but we find it takes a good 20 to 30 seconds to refresh which can be frustrating when close to a cache.

As for cycling I am using glasses but not whilst cycling and so need a good clear and largish screen if possible.

Not looking for cutting edge kit as I want to buy 2nd hand if poss.

All thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: A simple to use GPS ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2017, 02:55:34 am »
Based on my now fairly dated experience but using a Garmin Edge 810 I would be looking at the Etrex range (if going Garmin) as the bike specific computers from Garmin are not geocaching friendly.

I wrote up my experience trying to geocache with the Edge here.

I no longer actively geocache, preferring waymarking so haven't really looked into other options that could maybe do both fairly well. Maybe others will have suggestions.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2017, 11:31:39 am »
Current eTrexes have geocaching-specific features.  Presumably so it can display more information about a cache than a simple waypoint would.  I've never actually used them, though, as I re-discovered cycling at around the time they added them.

I'm not sure I'd describe any of the Garmin GPS receivers as "simple to use", simply because these days people tend to use that to mean "I can make it do the thing I want without having to learn anything".  The user interface is a direct descendent of units from the days when software came with instruction manuals, a map was a piece of paper, and it was expected that anyone using a GPS receiver was already proficient in map-and-compass based navigation.  TomTom it isn't.

On the other hand, most of the trouble people have with Garmins is down to using them in ways that the designers didn't envisage (eg. Following audax routes).  Geocaching should be much more straightforward.

As for screens, the non-tochscreen eTrexes have a slightly sharper display.  I'm not sure if the GPSMap series still has a bigger screen?  That might be worth considering.

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »
The Oregon is my weapon of choice, which does geocaching. works for everything: cars, bikes, hiking. I've got an old Oregon 450T, which I would consider selling if you want to make an offer. Downside is that it is prob about 7+ years old tech. Works perfectly but can be slow picking up a new location when moved to a new area. Once it is working and locked it is fine. Runs AA so no issue with batteries. Been replaced with a recent 600. ETA Screen isn't as large as 600, reasonably clear to read though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2017, 12:16:32 pm »
FWIW, Oregons, Dakotas, eTrexes and GPSMaps are all pretty much interchangeable functionality wise - they're all general purpose 'outdoor' units, with minor (though potentially important) differences between units, like physical size/shape, power source and use of touchscreen vs buttons.  The Edge series have cycling-specific features, mostly based around the kind of cycling that involves things like 'Performance' 'Training' and other dirty words, though there is a Touring model that's more navigation oriented.

« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2017, 11:26:14 pm »
Thanks all I have found my answer. It's an OS map. Cheaper, more reliable and I can use it. :)

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2017, 11:55:15 am »
I personally like the Oregon series since it is compatible with the premium heart rate monitor.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2017, 12:43:31 pm »
Thanks all I have found my answer. It's an OS map. Cheaper, more reliable and I can use it. :)

That's a legitimate choice, though I'd argue that cheaper and more reliable aren't actually clear-cut.  (A full set of OS maps is going to cost more than a GPS receiver.  GPS receivers work in the dark without additional hardware and are usually more robust when operated in windy and wet conditions.  Changing batteries every other day is a minor chore compared to re-folding maps.  Etc Etc.)

If you're using a paper map, a prehistoric GPS (the sort of thing that will tell you the grid ref of where you are and give you a distance and bearing to a waypoint) can be a useful addition, in much the same way that a compass can be.  Particularly for geocaching, where you'll often need much higher precision than you can infer from a 1:25k map.  You may be able to get an early model eTrex (perhaps one of the serial interface ones that are basically useless for mapping) for peanuts on eBay, but like a compass you'll have to learn how to use it.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2017, 07:01:23 pm »
...you'll have to learn how to use it.

Where's the fun in that  :)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:36:10 pm »
The Oregon is my weapon of choice, which does geocaching. works for everything: cars, bikes, hiking. I've got an old Oregon 450T, which I would consider selling if you want to make an offer. Downside is that it is prob about 7+ years old tech. Works perfectly but can be slow picking up a new location when moved to a new area. Once it is working and locked it is fine. Runs AA so no issue with batteries. Been replaced with a recent 600. ETA Screen isn't as large as 600, reasonably clear to read though.
Is this still for sale and if so could you indicate how much you would like for it?

« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2018, 08:48:06 am »
OK, I had to check using search, but apparently I sold it ;)