Author Topic: Osx11  (Read 3753 times)

Osx11
« on: 25 September, 2017, 08:12:12 am »
Good news or bad news?

In theory I would happily stay in 10, but I would like to keep getting bug fixes and updates...
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ian

Re: Osx11
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:07:31 am »
Unless you've a strong reason not to, you may as well upgrade, it'll include bug and security fixes. If you don't, eventually the world will leave you behind and things will begin to stop working. Like getting old, really. Apple are quite good at the incremental these days, especially if you don't have the latest phone necessary for whatever the blockbuster feature is. My reality is augmented enough already.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:00:29 am »
ios11 - check the following before doing so

Settings : General : About : Applications

This will list the 32Bit apps that you will lose when you update to ios11
You'll have to see if there are any updates or changes (hint - some developers have changed the name of their apps, so this list shows it as not available, when in fact there is a new version. That you probably have to pay for...)

OSX High Sierra
Is not out yet, but be careful before updating, as it has a new file system. In the end this is supposed to be A Good Thing, but I'm going to wait and read up on what files it has lost for others and what recovery/repir utilities are around and needed, such as Disk Warrior, etc....
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:18:45 pm »
Ios11.  Thank you all for your advice.  It seems we only lose a couple apps, so I went with the update.
No, I don’t like change but I value the virus protecting updates.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ian

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2017, 01:23:36 pm »
OSX High Sierra
Is not out yet, but be careful before updating, as it has a new file system. In the end this is supposed to be A Good Thing, but I'm going to wait and read up on what files it has lost for others and what recovery/repir utilities are around and needed, such as Disk Warrior, etc....

Installed on my old Macbook Air (mid-2011 ftw, I'd expected it to fall shy of the requirements) and seems peachy fine. Can't tbh, tell the difference, though I don't have to wait a week to find out how large a folder is, which always was annoying. Everything so far seems to work as before and installation was pain-free.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:20:06 pm »
Neither my Macbook (2015 vintage) nor my iMac (2013) are even offering me the opportunity to update to High Sierra yet. Chiz.

Phone (5S) is currently in the process of updating to iOS 11 - I'll lose several apps but only a couple that I use regularly and I can live without them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:07:35 pm »
With OS updates you usually have to go the App Store and click it on the Featured Apps page. It's a 5.7 GB download. I copied the installer from /applications to a USB drive to avoid having to download it four more times (do that before you install, otherwise it cleans up after itself and deletes the installer).

Very incremental sums it up (and I'm not complaining, I think OSes should just work and be unobtrusive).

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:27:46 pm »
With OS updates you usually have to go the App Store and click it on the Featured Apps page.

Gotcha. I've had notifications for the last few updates but maybe that's only after they've been out for a while.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:32:34 pm »
With OS updates you usually have to go the App Store and click it on the Featured Apps page.

Gotcha. I've had notifications for the last few updates but maybe that's only after they've been out for a while.

Yeah, they don't want to encourage the entire world to try and download on day one. Tbh, I didn't know it was out until I stumbled across a mention. I've not got around to the iOS stuff yet unless it happened in the background. I'm never sure who runs that show, me or them.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:45:05 pm »
I have to confess I found out about High Sierra because I went to the Apple website to look for iPhone X pr0n.

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2017, 07:49:40 am »
OSX High Sierra

Installed on my old Macbook Air (mid-2011 ftw, I'd expected it to fall shy of the requirements) and seems peachy fine. Can't tbh, tell the difference, though I don't have to wait a week to find out how large a folder is, which always was annoying. Everything so far seems to work as before and installation was pain-free.

All the normal stuff seems fine. Predictably it has stomped all over my apache configs, but this time it has also completely broken MySQL and I haven't worked out how to fix it yet.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:50:28 am »
Seems OK with Creative Cloud and Affinity which are my main drawing-kittens-with-lines go-tos. I remain Tidy Hairedly awesome.

Office 2011 still works (in as much of a fashion as it always did), though it goes out of support soon. Need to talk to the mothership about that as I'm one of those 'non-standard' hardware people that IT love to hate.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:41:50 am »
Creative Suite and Aperture are my worries, along with losing things. MySQL would be a loss.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:59:17 am »
InDesign and Acrobat seem fine. I don't tend use Photoshop and Illustrator so much these days as I've mostly moved over to Affinity, but they open OK.

MySQL breaks on every release. I'd wait for them to patch it.

The move over to APFS didn't seem to lose anything and was pretty quick.

Mind you, I've not tried Bluetooth audio yet, that's usually the b a  ne     o f my     e  xi   ste  nc  e.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2017, 11:01:36 am »
Aren't you on CC rather than CS?

ian

« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2017, 11:17:54 am »
Sorry, muddled terminology, yes I'm on the full Creative Cloud so those are the CC apps.

« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:45:49 pm »
Creative Suite and Aperture are my worries, along with losing things. MySQL would be a loss.

I'm still on CS5 and so had to download and install the Java 6 runtime. Again.

It's probably time to just clean MySQL completely off the machine and start again with a homebrew install. Maybe switch to MariaDB.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »
Actually, there's a bit of non-critical cursor glitchiness in InDesign.

ETA: which is a bit annoying, so I won't be upgrading my other machine. Doubly since the problem has been around apparently, since beta, and CC is not cheap and, dear Adobe, isn't the point of your much touted subscription model that we get access to the latest, most updated-est versions of your products.

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »

Bizarrely, I didn't get this when I first updated, but I've just started experiencing it today. It's extremely annoying. Do you know of any way to fix it, or do I have to wait for the next CC update?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:16:15 pm »
OSX High Sierra

Pretty much my experience.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:29:38 am »

Bizarrely, I didn't get this when I first updated, but I've just started experiencing it today. It's extremely annoying. Do you know of any way to fix it, or do I have to wait for the next CC update?

Wait for the next update, unfortunately. I think they are saying it's Apple's problem which seems a bit odd. I suspect it's down to the odd way Adobe products work and don't use the native OSX components (I find the entire select, drag, and snap in Adobe products to be a bit shit tbh).

It tends to develop over time so I just restart InDesign when the annoyance passes a suitable expletive threshold.

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 12 October, 2017, 11:29:09 am »
The other problem I've been getting with InDesign lately - which predates the latest OSX update - is that my docked panels sometimes refuse to open unless I undock them. Resetting my workspace doesn't help either. Have you encountered this one? It seems to be a known problem - the suggested solution put forward on the Adobe forums is to have the app frame on, and it seems to do the trick, but I hate the app frame (if I wanted app frames, I'd get a Windows machine).

ian

« Reply #22 on: 12 October, 2017, 03:38:16 pm »
Can't say I've noticed that one, though it occasionally loses panels that I have docked. Mind you, I think it's done that since it was PageMaker (I found a training guide for PageMaker that I wrote a bazillion years ago, it's not changed much, though I suppose if it ain't broke).

The only other problem I've noticed is, for some reason, Affinity Designer won't import text styles, which seems a bit bizarre, but it works fine on my un-updated Macbook yet not my updated iMac. A minor issue as I mostly start from templates that have the styles but a bit strange.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #23 on: 12 October, 2017, 09:27:38 pm »
telnet and command line ftp have been removed from high sierra. Just had to install brew and then use that to install telnet.

« Reply #24 on: 13 October, 2017, 03:52:27 pm »
telnet is not usually enabled/installed by default on linux nowadays. It can be a useful tool, but like many useful tools it's probably best not left lying around where children can play with it.