Author Topic: Anyone fancy an Oreo?  (Read 1420 times)

Anyone fancy an Oreo?
« on: 28 September, 2017, 08:18:21 am »
Any Google fanbois out there with Nexus gear may already know that we no longer have to wait for updates to be pushed, you can go into the OS version in settings and download Oreo.

The improvements appear worthwhile, but battery life has been adversely affected. Oreo allows you to stop applications from running in the background (yeah! stick it to Facebook - only I don't run their app) but that hasn't entirely helped. Widely reported issues, assume updates will fix at some stage.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Anyone fancy an Oreo?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:17:41 am »
I've been running it for a few weeks now as it came OTA to my Nexus 5X.  Biggest downsides for me thus far are Battery life and the sleep mode which means it takes an age for the camera to wake up and be useful - not ideal if you want to suddenly capture something in a photo....  must be almost a 5 second delay.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:25:52 pm »
Have you noticed that the camera is much improved, though? I don't appear to be suffering from the delay that you do.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2017, 02:04:53 pm »
Got it on my 5X last week.  Can't really tell the difference, apart from slightly easier to use settings menus, but the battery life might not be quite as good as before.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2017, 04:43:06 pm »
Have you noticed that the camera is much improved, though? I don't appear to be suffering from the delay that you do.

I'm pretty sure its something sleep related - camera appears as good as it was before so not noticed it get 'better'.  Just the annoyance of the delay in loading up a view and then actioning my request to take the photo. (I use the double tap power to bring up the camera and then volume buttons to trigger the shutter - works ace when on bike!)  Maybe I need a full reset and restore.
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2017, 08:02:21 pm »
So a full reset back to factory and it's running smoothly again, camera back to being responsive. Happy bunny again!
Regards,

Joergen

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:35:39 am »
I'm hoping Android Oreo will be more flavourful than actual Oreos.  What bland biscuits.  Anyway I'm looking forward to the background apps killing thing.  At the moment on Marshmallow and Nougat, I'm doing it with the bunt instrument that is Greenify, which does a Force Stop on apps of your choosing.  Other apps that just kill processes don't really make much difference.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&hl=en_GB
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2017, 02:12:48 pm »
Well, after using the facility to prevent apps running in the background (repeatedly), I've reduced usage to 100% in 12 hours to 60% a day - better than before, so a throughgoing win. I still have all aps that I want - eMail, whatsapp etc - running, just killed the stuff that has no business doing anything when I'm not looking at it; fantastic endorsement of the Google development roadmap.

By the way, it doesn't kill the apps in the background, just prevents them from doing anything. Bring them back to the foreground and refresh if needed for full functionality/