Author Topic: Unable to upload ride to Strava.  (Read 1352 times)

Unable to upload ride to Strava.
« on: 09 October, 2017, 08:52:45 am »
Did an 80 odd mile MTB ride on Saturday in wet conditions. My Garmin 800 got very wet and I lost the mapping on the screen but the device continued recording the ride and the ride is recorded on activities history. When plugging it in to my laptop to upload to Strava I could not find the file so I logged on to Garmin Connect. The ride has uploaded to Garmin Connect which is linked to Strava but it will not transfer to Strava. I have tried exporting the file from Connect as a .gpx  hoping to upload to Strave manually but it changes it to a .zip file which Strava won't accept.
No doubt others will have had this problem, can anyone advise ?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Unable to upload ride to Strava.
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2017, 09:07:13 am »
If you unzip the file is there a gpx in it? If so can you upload that?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2017, 09:18:30 am »
I'm not sure how you have ended up with a ZIP file from GC.

If you go into the ride on Garmin Connect, and click on the small cog-wheel on the top right ( tool tip says "more...")
then you have the option to export as GPX.

That always gives me a GPX, not  ZIP.

Anyways, if you've managed to get the ride onto GC, then it's on your Edge.
You should be able to plug it into the PC, and in Strava you should be able to click the Plus icon and select 'Upload Activity'.
Then, choose the FILE option on the left hand toolbar.
Click 'Choose Files', and navigate to your Edge device, and go into the \Garmin\Activities folder, and select the correct FIT file and upload it.

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:16:50 am »
Thanks, problem is after clicking 'choose file' I can't find it, I'd expect it to be in 'activities' but spent ages opening all the files but it doesn't show up and I can't seem to open the .zip file although this may be due to my lack of computer skills (to put it politely)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2017, 11:39:56 am »
It may be a GPX file with the wrong file extension. So if you renamed it as .gpx, then uploading to Strava might work.
Unhelpfully Windows hides the file extensions by default, so it may not be obvious what the file is actually named.

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2017, 02:51:17 pm »
Success  :thumbsup: managed to open zipped file as a .fit file and then manually uploaded it to Strava. Steep learning curve - never done 'owt like that before. Thanks all for the help and advice.