Author Topic: Absolute basic GPS  (Read 2125 times)

Absolute basic GPS
« on: 14 October, 2017, 09:29:24 pm »
Hi there,

I'm after a backup GPS to switch on and forget for audax'ing.

I had the impression you could get REALLY cheap and simple (no display etc) things from ebay, but to be honest, i don't know what i'm looking for.

Any pointers welcome.

Cheers

Re: Absolute basic GPS
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2017, 11:39:20 pm »
If it's just to record a track rather than offer any navigation, what you're looking for is a GPS Logger.
I use a a Canmore 730, which cost around £30, bought it earlier this year as a back up after I'd had a couple of garmin recording errors (Which may have been caused by the user :facepalm:)  It's worked perfectly, switch it on, put it in a back pocket and forget about it, USB charging and download, you can set the recording intervals which effects battery life (Built in), I have it on a setting that lasts about 20 hours,  or you could plug it into a lipstick powerpack and it'd run for a week. I use mine for DIYs and the organiser (Chris) has been happy with the files. Software is propriety and a bit clunky, or 1980s, I download it to that and export as a GPX file and don't use it for anything else.
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/373686/GPS-logger----Renkforce----GT-730FL-S--------Black

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2017, 12:30:13 am »
I'd look at something like the Holux RCV-3000. http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=440
It claims 20 hours battery life. Seems it uses a Nokia phone battery, so you should be able to find cheap spares.
Its available for about £50 on Ebay, though the cheapest ones are probably sent from China, so might take a while. Or £78 on Amazon.

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
Thanks chaps

dim

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »
I use an old garmin 500 as a backup .... I'm getting over 12hrs of battery life with it and also use it daily for my commuting.

My Edge 1000 only gives me approx 7 hrs battery life, but I have lots of things connected to it, including the Garmin Varia Radar (which uses a lot of battery on the Edge 1000)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:13:11 am »
I've just built my own backup tracker, just need to ruggardise it now add a larger battery and then it's good to go. Logs a GPX file to SD card and currently does circa 5 hours on its little 290mAh battery so a 1000mAh should see it suitable for most of my DIY events & ECEs.

The suggestions up thread are cheaper of course :)
Regards,

Joergen