Author Topic: Head torches  (Read 8015 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Head torches
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:15:25 pm »
For the saddlebag I prefer something that runs on batteries as it's not only for roadside fettles but potentially as an emergency bike light, in the unlikely event of dynamo light failure. If I'm 100km of dark roads from home with flat batteries, I can get replacements in a 24h garage – ok, at rip off prices, but such is the audax way. Or something – whereas with a flat usb-charged battery, I'm stuck. I'm sure this is full of flaws but so far, and hopefully it will remain this way, I haven't had to test it.

That's a reasonable point:  Obviously USB makes sense if you're using it regularly, but less so if it's purely a backup.

My approach of carrying a regularly-used-for-other-things (and therefore charged and tested) torch as a backup on bike rides has the predictable failure mode of occasionally not remembering to bring it.  Generally on the sort of boring local rides where I tend to be less rigorous about maintenance....   :facepalm:

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2017, 11:35:13 pm »
Anyone tried the Fenix head torches?
Look pretty good, some with USB charging, and replaceable 18650 batteries, so you could carry spares.

« Reply #27 on: 24 October, 2017, 11:50:49 pm »
I have this from decathlon, can't fault it (with occasional use)...  Actually it seems to have gone to 100 lumens, since I bought my 80 lumen a couple of yrs ago; looks identical.  3xAAA batteries; 3 modes: low, full & flash.  Goes in the saddlebag, when night riding expected.  https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-210-v2-headlamp-id_8364849.html   There's a £20 140 lumen (but USB) version.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #28 on: 25 October, 2017, 12:59:48 am »
Have others found that elastic straps fail before other components?
Yes, to the point that the availability of replacements is a buy/don't buy purchasing decision.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 25 October, 2017, 01:05:55 am »
Yes, to the point that the availability of replacements is a buy/don't buy purchasing decision.

In which case, we really need to discuss straps.

Petzl has disappointed...

« Reply #30 on: 25 October, 2017, 01:26:03 am »
Use as a backup light for the bike is right at the bottom of my list of priorities for a headtorch.

Since going dynohub in 1998, my lighting failures have been (apart from blown bulbs in halogen days)...
a) a 4-D lite plus that wouldn't light up until I'd ridden 2-300 m, and sucked noticeable brightness from the halogen front light.
b) a Solidlight that went out if you went faster than about 12 mph, and wouldn't come back on until you stopped completely. Since this started at 44 mph down a steep and very dark hill, it was a bit exciting.
c) a Seculite that lost its lens, reflector and light spreading widget
d) some helpful soul tried to turn the standlight off, and since I'd been 100% senso for a several of years, I spent 10 minutes fiddling with connections before remembering the switch.

You'll notice that none of these have required backup lighting.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #32 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:14:55 am »

I bought a replacement strap for my Petzl Tikka a few years back and a replacement strap for my Old Skool Petzl with a filament lamp some years before.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #33 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:23:41 am »
I've had strap failure on several head torches in the past, but the ones on my alpkit gamma are showing no signs of wear, despite being exposed to contaminants like fuel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:35:03 am »
Look pretty good, some with USB charging, and replaceable 18650 batteries, so you could carry spares.
Yes - but I've got the 1xAA model. [I think AAs make a lot more sense than AAAs, but that's maybe not relevant to you!]

Fenix torches have been fine for me over quite a few years, and have a rock-solid reputation. I want simple & reliable for this stuff.  A failure at 3 am and 400k would be nightmarish, and frankly having one go when you're trying to fix a house fuse would be f**king annoying; or grovelling under your car on a wet evening when you need it fixed it for your commute tomorrow etc etc
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #35 on: 25 October, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »
Yes - but I've got the 1xAA model. [I think AAs make a lot more sense than AAAs, but that's maybe not relevant to you!]

Fenix torches have been fine for me over quite a few years, and have a rock-solid reputation. I want simple & reliable for this stuff.  A failure at 3 am and 400k would be nightmarish, and frankly having one go when you're trying to fix a house fuse would be f**king annoying; or grovelling under your car on a wet evening when you need it fixed it for your commute tomorrow etc etc
I'd agree with that, I've got a few handheld Fenix torches. They are definitely solid and reliable. I recently got a Fenix UC02, which is a tiny keyring torch. Very handy to always have it in my pocket, but still impressively bright.
Just tempted to buy a brighter headtorch for running in the woods...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 25 October, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »
Use as a backup light for the bike is right at the bottom of my list of priorities for a headtorch.

Since going dynohub in 1998, my lighting failures have been (apart from blown bulbs in halogen days)...
[...]
You'll notice that none of these have required backup lighting.

Yeahbut you still need to be able to see to fix punctures.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #37 on: 25 October, 2017, 02:06:18 pm »
Alpkit gamma! Lots to be said for readily available aa / aaa batteries

« Reply #38 on: 25 October, 2017, 02:38:30 pm »

Yes. I've got two Petzl headtorches and the straps are going on both. Annoying, really, as the lights are fantastic. (but tbf, I've used them a lot and I've got a wass heed).

Hmm. I have a Petzl Pixa which is AA, but I take a Tikka something on the bike because it is AAA, which gives me a bail out set out of AAAs for the rear light.

They're dogshit though.

« Reply #39 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:07:26 pm »
Led Lensor is the best IMHO.
I,ve used and wrecked, just about every other brand over the last 35 years, and got brassed off with poor operation and reliability.
Discovered LLs 9 years ago and won,t have anything else now. Farmer/forester proof, use in any weather, leave them rattling about in tractor cabs or toolbags, no problem.
Upgraded my origonal ones last winter, for the newer H7.2 rechargeables on the farm as you can charge them from mains plug or USB. The SEO7R is good if you want a smaller torch for packing on your bike or in a pocket.
Got mine as a deal with a small keychain LED torch each so fully loaded with winter lights now.
Also fantastic after sales backup, both my origonal ones were on there 2nd free head-band.

« Reply #40 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:23:06 pm »
They're dogshit though.
A lot of people disagree with you
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #41 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:28:39 pm »
They're dogshit though.
They're wrong.

« Reply #42 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:36:11 pm »
They're dogshit though.
They're wrong.
So the people who use them, find they work just fine, don't have any problems whatsoever, are completely wrong and deluded?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phil W

« Reply #43 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:46:46 pm »
I have a Petzl head torch, been using them since the 80's.

Current head torch is Petzl Tikka with a core battery.  Had it a number of years. It is the one with a usb socket to charge from and also so you can program from the computer.  I set it to the kids profile which means it gives a lower intensity (non blinding) light for longer.   That gives it about a 50 hour usable battery life based on experience (mountaineering).

I use my head torches for Alpine mountaineering as well so stick with Petzl whom I've used for over 30 years.  But for night time mechanicals on the bike, where I don't need super long battery life or different modes, I'd go with any old head torch within reason. 

« Reply #44 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:47:26 pm »
They're dogshit though.
They're wrong.
So the people who use them, find they work just fine, don't have any problems whatsoever, are completely wrong and deluded?
Yes. Completely. The sort who spend more time wanking off over their kit than actually using it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:03:20 pm »
Well, I'm glad that is settled.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:13:30 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #47 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:20:50 pm »
They're dogshit though.
They're wrong.
Yes. Completely. The sort who spend more time wanking off over their kit than actually using it.
Wow. That puts you in the complete arsehole category

What an utter dick. Sorry, moron, I used to live on a boat and utterly relied on torches, particularly head torches, probably more than anyone else who uses this forum. Relied on it to get across the field to my mooring at night. Relied on it when working in the unlit corners of the engine room. Relied on it when crawling through the bilge under the flooring. Relied on it in the middle of the night when floods hit.

So rather than just needing a head torch for a bit of camping and cycling, I needed a head torch for real working, real life situations. I used and destroyed multiple cheap head torches before buying an alpkit gamma.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #48 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:25:55 pm »
They're dogshit though.
They're wrong.

So you’re saying they have a problem if they get wet ???

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #49 on: 25 October, 2017, 06:51:32 pm »
Masters, I have been compelled to shine my head torch onto this thread. I am so disappointed to see the dark side here.

Please, I beseech you, shine your head torches on your own circuits and lighten them with excellence.