Author Topic: WHY USE JIS DRIVERS ON JAPANESE COMPONENTS  (Read 2971 times)

WHY USE JIS DRIVERS ON JAPANESE COMPONENTS
« on: 25 October, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »
Not selling anything. Just giving advice. Maybe most of you know this already. So this is for the few that may not.
My short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7Hf9QKEC0&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA&index=1

Re: WHY USE JIS DRIVERS ON JAPANESE COMPONENTS
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2017, 01:22:15 pm »
Perhaps a better question would be, why do the Japanese component manufacturers insist on using JIS fasteners when most of the rest of the world has never heard of them, and if they have, they are almost impossible to buy and very expensive when you do find them?

*rant over*
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2017, 04:56:46 pm »
Not that hard to find and found on most japanese cars and motorbikes.

Toyota sell a set of JIS screwdrivers from the parts department.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
Park Tool do a set, £14.49 from CRC. Doubtless other brands are cheaper. The question might be "Why use non-JIS screwdrivers for bike stuff?"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »
Park Tool do a set, £14.49 from CRC. Doubtless other brands are cheaper. The question might be "Why use non-JIS screwdrivers for bike stuff?"

Looking at the reviews it might not be JIS.

« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:02:21 pm »
I may have missed something but pretty much all the bike screwdriver sets like the Park Tool one are Phillips, not JIS. There are JIS screwdrivers on eBay but usually from the USA with high postage charges. It seems a lot of money for one small screwdriver (for derailleur adjustment). Never thought to try a Japanese car dealership.

Mind you, it doesn't seem to make that much difference if you use a Phillips on a derailleur adjustment screw instead of JIS, if you're careful.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

KM

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:05:53 am »
Not selling anything. Just giving advice. Maybe most of you know this already. So this is for the few that may not.
My short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7Hf9QKEC0&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA&index=1

Lovely breathy music   :D

As others have said the SD range of Park Tool screwdrivers aren't JIS compatible.  The DSD-2 (Derailleur Screw Driver) is the crosshead offering Park Tool have come up with just as Shimano seem to be switching over to Allen bolt type fasteners for its derailleur limit screws.

I have the Vessel Megadora +2 screwdriver.  The difference between that and other screwdrivers in JIS fasteners is remarkable. 

Park Tool DSD-2 (scroll down for jazzy video):

https://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-screwdriver-dsd-2

The Park Tool product is to be around three or four times the price of my Vessel screwdriver, I understand. 

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:55:16 am »
Shimano seem to be switching over to Allen bolt type fasteners for its derailleur limit screws.

I have the Vessel Megadora +2 screwdriver.  The difference between that and other screwdrivers in JIS fasteners is remarkable.
The Park Tool product is to be around three or four times the price of my Vessel screwdriver, I understand.
Using allen for something as small as a derailleur limit screw seems a bad idea to me - torx would be much better.
Small allen keys/heads round out very easily, and limit screws tend to get set once and then spend months accumulating muck to seize with.

I also use a Vessel Megadora. I also got some Vessel screwdriver bits at the same time, to replace the philips bits in my Topeak Ratchet Rocket
(from www.dateelectronicsupplies.co.uk, though www.onlyqualitytools.com may be cheaper)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
I had not realised there was such a diversity of drive systems!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:28:41 am »
A bit many!
The German company Bauer & Schaurte patented the hex socket 1936 in Germany, and marketed products based on it.[citation needed] The term "inbus" is derived from Innensechskant Bauer u. Schaurte (German: "Inner 6-edge Bauer & Schaurte"), analogous to the US term "Allen key". In many countries it is commonly but incorrectly called "imbus".[citation needed]
So that's why they call it imbus! The im- was clearly something internal but I didn't realize the -bus was a firm's name.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2017, 09:29:20 am »
When I was a 6th-former back in the '60s I took a summer holiday job with a local electronics firm.  On my first morning the foreman set me to replacing all the cross-head screws in a Ferrograph tape deck with slot-head ones.  Clearly a wind-up - Ferrographs were built like tanks.  I took a look at the screws and the two screwdrivers provided and said "have you got a Posidriver?". 
He stared at me with narrowed eyes and promoted me to a more skilled task (soldering).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll